Anyone in touch with OAP?

That is good news! I just read it on your blog and was about to post it before I saw your update here. Going back to SF or off to some new adventure?

I have been hoping we would hear from you! Thanks for the update and do have a celebration!

I'm so glad for you.............. :D :D :D

I've directed about 15 people to Mayo, ever since I went there myself for a condition that was misdiagnosed for 3 years.

Not only did they find the cause, I had my test results inside 24 hours and treatment was started immediately..........

Plus, it was comforting to hear "Princess" and "Prince" so and so called up to see the doc..........apparently other countries send their important people there.............. ;)

Not only did they find the cause, I had my test results inside 24 hours and treatment was started immediately..........

So what do they know that one's regular doctor is so lost about? I thought about going ther some yrs ago but the misdiagnoses and medical conditions have been piling up and I figure it'll be 6 figures to make any headway

OAP I am so glad to hear that you did get yourself up to Mayo, and that the treatment was quality and the news all good! I say go live it up now that you've got the all clear! Please keep hanging around here - I've always enjoyed your input.

I dont' think I'm going to Mayo, but my docs. sent my blood there a couple weeks ago for some tests that only they can do. I learned from my mother's illnesses that there is a huge difference between even a very good hospital and a world class one.

For myself, I'm looking Johns Hopkins. In my mind Mayo, Cleveland Clinic and Hopkins are the creme de la creme, and when your health is at stake only the best will do.

Anyway enough bad cliches and mixed metaphors. Welcome back OAP!

So what do they know that one's regular doctor is so lost about?

The story I hear is that they are experts in diagnosis. They have experts who do little else but see and test thousands of people and develop a 6th sense for what ails them.

OAP, just to say hi and send all my best wishes. I had been trying to keep up with your exploits via the mutating blogs (miss the one with lotsa photos..) and am looking forward to hearing about what you get up to in the future (errr.... well, you know what I mean). I had a feeling you'd make it, if only out of sheer cussedness. :D :D Stay well and keep us posted. :)

Sheryl said:
OAP I am so glad to hear that you did get yourself up to Mayo, and that the treatment was quality and the news all good! I say go live it up now that you've got the all clear! Please keep hanging around here - I've always enjoyed your input.

I dont' think I'm going to Mayo, but my docs. sent my blood there a couple weeks ago for some tests that only they can do. I learned from my mother's illnesses that there is a huge difference between even a very good hospital and a world class one.

For myself, I'm looking Johns Hopkins. In my mind Mayo, Cleveland Clinic and Hopkins are the creme de la creme, and when your health is at stake only the best will do.

Anyway enough bad cliches and mixed metaphors. Welcome back OAP!

Both my brother and my mother had some pretty serious work done at Mayo. I decided right then if I was facing a health crisis I'd be gone
to Rochester in a New York minute.

JG

FinanceDude said:
I'm so glad for you.............. :D :D :D

I've directed about 15 people to Mayo, ever since I went there myself for a condition that was misdiagnosed for 3 years.

Plus, it was comforting to hear "Princess" and "Prince" so and so called up to see the doc..........apparently other countries send their important people there.............. ;)

Kings, heads of state, poobahs and potentates go there. Money is no
object obviously. There is a reason for this folks.

JG

I know a lot of people who go down to Mayo either for comprehensive executive physical exams. Or to have that troublesome problem diagnosed. One of my coworkers was recently there. She has one of those quirky autoimmune disorders that people have a hard time figuring out and treating.

Martha said:
She has one of those quirky autoimmune disorders that people have a hard time figuring out and treating.

Exactly what I ran into 10 years ago. My liver enzymes went out the roof and my doctors had a heck of time figuring it out. I had an MRI done, tons of blood work, scopes, and a liver biopsy done. After all said and done, they chalked it up to an auto-immune disorder and prescribed a $5 bottle of prednisone. My enzyme levels dropped immediately and was off it in just a few months. Lucky I guess but it sure cost a lot of money figuring out what to do for such a cheap treatment. :-\

I have been to the Mayo clinic 10 times or so for a relatively rare condition...lots of sick kids :-[.....I wasted a lot of time with the other local clinics on it before going though.... :-\ Glad to hear you got things taken care of OAP....too bad I wasnt in the area or I would have went out with you for a beer ;)

Mr._johngalt said:

JG

When my mom was in the Cleveland Clinic one of the members of the royal family of Saudi Arabia and his entourage had taken over a whole floor of the heart center. There were bodyguards posted at the elevator to keep the rifraff out.

Mr._johngalt said:
JG

I think you forgot to mention the Mayo Foundation, which every year gives free/discounted medical care to those who don't have health insurance or need their expertise but don't have the money to go there...........

As for me, Mayo didn't charge my health insurer much more than I was paying the clinic that was clueless........... ;)

The story I hear is that they are experts in diagnosis. They have experts who do little else but see and test thousands of people and develop a 6th sense for what ails them.

Oh, A HUNCH! These "I seen it before" types know it without even knowing it. Not knocking it. If it works it works. BUT my Doct (s) are always playing hunches like that too. And swearing to it. But not looking anything up apparently which is all they'd really have to do. Fortunately I started looking up the symptoms myself and making better -SAFER- correct diagnoses on myself than the doctor has. And no near fatal drug reactions either.

I could almost throw for a trip to MN just for the satisfaction of proving a point. But of course, it'll have to to wait till srping

Mr._johngalt said:

JG

BTW, I heard the Earl of Sandwich went to Mayo.

JG

OAP: what great news!!!
I had cancer also and know the ups and downs of all the CT scans and waiting for results. It will be my 10 year anniversary pretty soon...

So where are you headed next? Enjoy each day to the fullest...

Mr._johngalt said:
Both my brother and my mother had some pretty serious work done at Mayo. I decided right then if I was facing a health crisis I'd be gone
to Rochester in a New York minute.

JG

One more huge thumbs up for the Rochester Mayo. Five years ago my otherwise very healthy active wife developed a fairly rare form of cancer (severe Hashimoto's) and after plenty of investigating there was no question that Mayo was the place to go. >20% chance she could have had permanent vocal cord damage (as in no voice) just removing the tumor in her neck. That was on top of the Lymphoma risk. Pretty scary at the time. Perfect operation and now just 1 more visit left to get her 5 year clean bill of health (as I'm tapping on wood). Very efficient organization and excellent-caring staff.

AOP is in the best of hands. [and oh yeah, every day is a gift]

T-Dave

Back
Top Bottom