Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone in touch with OAP?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

I know a lot of people who go down to Mayo either for comprehensive executive physical exams. Or to have that troublesome problem diagnosed. One of my coworkers was recently there. She has one of those quirky autoimmune disorders that people have a hard time figuring out and treating.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
She has one of those quirky autoimmune disorders that people have a hard time figuring out and treating.

Exactly what I ran into 10 years ago. My liver enzymes went out the roof and my doctors had a heck of time figuring it out. I had an MRI done, tons of blood work, scopes, and a liver biopsy done. After all said and done, they chalked it up to an auto-immune disorder and prescribed a $5 bottle of prednisone. My enzyme levels dropped immediately and was off it in just a few months. Lucky I guess but it sure cost a lot of money figuring out what to do for such a cheap treatment.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been to the Mayo clinic 10 times or so for a relatively rare condition...lots of sick kids .....I wasted a lot of time with the other local clinics on it before going though.... Glad to hear you got things taken care of OAP....too bad I wasnt in the area or I would have went out with you for a beer
Old 10-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Kings, heads of state, poobahs and potentates go there. Money is no
object obviously. There is a reason for this folks.

JG
When my mom was in the Cleveland Clinic one of the members of the royal family of Saudi Arabia and his entourage had taken over a whole floor of the heart center. There were bodyguards posted at the elevator to keep the rifraff out.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
JG
I think you forgot to mention the Mayo Foundation, which every year gives free/discounted medical care to those who don't have health insurance or need their expertise but don't have the money to go there...........

As for me, Mayo didn't charge my health insurer much more than I was paying the clinic that was clueless...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #66

Quote:
The story I hear is that they are experts in diagnosis. They have experts who do little else but see and test thousands of people and develop a 6th sense for what ails them.
Oh, A HUNCH! These "I seen it before" types know it without even knowing it. Not knocking it. If it works it works. BUT my Doct (s) are always playing hunches like that too. And swearing to it. But not looking anything up apparently which is all they'd really have to do. Fortunately I started looking up the symptoms myself and making better -SAFER- correct diagnoses on myself than the doctor has. And no near fatal drug reactions either.

I could almost throw for a trip to MN just for the satisfaction of proving a point. But of course, it'll have to to wait till srping
Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

JG
BTW, I heard the Earl of Sandwich went to Mayo.

JG
Old 10-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP: what great news!!!
I had cancer also and know the ups and downs of all the CT scans and waiting for results. It will be my 10 year anniversary pretty soon...

So where are you headed next? Enjoy each day to the fullest...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #69

Quote:
BTW, I heard the Earl of Sandwich went to Mayo.

JG
And when he arrived, he said "Hold it!".

JG
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #70

Quote:
Both my brother and my mother had some pretty serious work done at Mayo. I decided right then if I was facing a health crisis I'd be gone
to Rochester in a New York minute.

JG
One more huge thumbs up for the Rochester Mayo. Five years ago my otherwise very healthy active wife developed a fairly rare form of cancer (severe Hashimoto's) and after plenty of investigating there was no question that Mayo was the place to go. >20% chance she could have had permanent vocal cord damage (as in no voice) just removing the tumor in her neck. That was on top of the Lymphoma risk. Pretty scary at the time. Perfect operation and now just 1 more visit left to get her 5 year clean bill of health (as I'm tapping on wood). Very efficient organization and excellent-caring staff.

AOP is in the best of hands. [and oh yeah, every day is a gift]

T-Dave