Anyone own a steam cleaner?

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm thinking about buying a steam cleaner but I'm not sure how well it will work. I have a tile shower and cleaning the mold in it is a pain.
Have you ever owned a steam cleaner, and how well did it work? I'm thinking about getting this steamer but I want to make sure it gets the mold and isn't a waste.

I bought one a few years ago at Sears. I found it slow and just about useless, so I brought it back.

I bought a steamer type after seeing it "work" on an infomercial a few years back. I think it caused more trouble that help. I used it to steam the faucet handles to try and get rid of growth there...soon afterwards, the handles started to leak. Not sure if there was direct cause, but I think so.

I have owned a steam cleaner for years (I bought it before steam cleaners became infomercial staples). Steam cleaners are very popular in Europe, where I grew up, and my mom has been using one for at least 20 years. I like it and use it all the time to clean ceramic tiles very effectively. I have never used it on mold however. For mold, I use a brush with a diluted solution of bleach. That works very well for me.

I have owned a steam cleaner for years (I bought it before steam cleaners became infomercial staples). Steam cleaners are very popular in Europe, where I grew up, and my mom has been using one for at least 20 years. I like it and use it all the time to clean ceramic tiles very effectively. I have never used it on mold however. For mold, I use a brush with a diluted solution of bleach. That works very well for me.

So, what is it effective on? Soap scum? Hard water or calcium deposit?

In my experience, the above get cleaned better with an acidic cleaner (especially if there is a significant buildup). I use the steamer for general dirt and grime on tile floors, stone counter tops, grout lines and windows (being careful that the windows are not too cold).

I have the Shark steam pro mop and I love it . It really cleans my tile . I also have a handy steamer for my clothes and i'm amazed how well that works for $15.99.

Thanks for all of the responses. Since I don't want to buy something and be disappointed with it I'm going to hold off on the steam cleaner and use bleach and a brush for the shower.

I'm thinking about buying a steam cleaner but I'm not sure how well it will work. I have a tile shower and cleaning the mold in it is a pain.
Have you ever owned a steam cleaner, and how well did it work? I'm thinking about getting this steamer but I want to make sure it gets the mold and isn't a waste.

I used a handheld steamer in my shower and it was a giant disappointment plus it was a lot of work .

Banks, I actually purchased the very steamer you were thinking about buying. It is head and shoulders above most steamers out there and is idea for doing your shower. My main reason for buying said steamer was for a shower that sound similar to yours. The mentioned steamer is good because it's tank lasts for ages and it has sufficient steam volume unlike others. Do not compare it to most handheld steamers that others are talking about. I had a friend who bought a Shark handheld to do the shower and her number 1 complaint was it did not last long enough before needing refilling. I found that no combination of cleaning products and heavy industrial strength brushes got my shower clean like this steamer does.

In my experience, NONE of those...nor on mold. We bought one for that very purpose. Boxed it up and returned the next day. A real PITA to operate and didn't seem to clean anything. It was a Wagner 905 model, IIRC.

Have you considered a dehumidifier? Ours costs $10/month in electricity, but it controls the mold pretty well. Mold just can't handle relative humidity less than 50%.

Also, for any painted surface, special mold-inhibiting paint works very well.

Have you considered a dehumidifier? Ours costs $10/month in electricity, but it controls the mold pretty well. Mold just can't handle relative humidity less than 50%.

Yes, this was my thought as well - if you have mold, then the real problem is just too much humidity. Perhaps a better vent/fan to remove the moisture?

Back
Top Bottom