Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #21

Netflix streaming is a good option for impulse viewing (like channel surfing). You can form a queue of titles and choose among them or search for titles by name or category. The list of available titles is long but you will not find many new releases. Netflix is still negotiating with some studios because titles become available and then suddenly disappear.

The growth in bandwidth being consumed leads me to believe we will be seeing higher usage charges for internet services in the next couple of years. They have already been announced for U-Verse and I would imagine Comcast will follow suit once they assess AT&T's success.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We stream thru Wii and really like it, especially for old TV series. We get the newer movies thru the mail. For the price its great.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Netflix streaming but my main complaint is that many, many titles are not available. Grandkids came to stay overnight a while back and I had them make a list of movies that they would be interested in seeing. I think maybe 2 out of 10 were available via streaming. My understanding is that the limitation is because they haven't negotiated licenses with the content owners.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use Netflix streaming (we also can get DVDs by mail which we sometimes do). Between that and Hulu, we cancelled our cable TV. Hulu usually has current TV shows (last 5 episodes usually) and Netflix has a lot of older stuff. (meaning the shows the year before). We use it a lot to watch TV series that we either haven't seen in years (my son just streamed all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) or seasons that we never watched before (Heroes, Glee).

FWIW, Netflix streaming uses a huge part of all bandwidth in the US in the evenings. Netflix projects that in a few years the majority of its business will be streaming. The more streaming that people do, the fewer disks Netflix mails out which reduces it shipping cost and cost to acquire DVDs. That frees up money for Netflix to buy more content rights so it can ship more.

We stream on various devices - computer, ipad, Wii, Playstation.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #25

I agree sometimes the Netflix CDs come damaged, but I still enjoy getting them in the letter box... My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We'd like to switch to Netflex streaming because lately, their DVDs have been coming to us scratched and damaged.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Why not just buy a BD player that has streaming built in? They are about the same price as a streaming player, but you get blu-ray for free :-) I've seen them below $100 at Walmart. I'm using a Sony bdp-s370, it was $130 a while ago.

As for Netflix, I'm using the "1 DVD out at-a-time" with Blu-Ray for $11.99 a month. If the movie isn't available for streaming, I get the dvd or BD. If I return it on Thursday I have the next dvd in house by Saturday. They ship amazingly fast.
Streaming quality has been quite good for me. On occasion it pauses, but luckily not that often. I'm quite happy with it.

PS. The Netflix BD that I have at home now is "Inside Job". Great documentary!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I agree sometimes the Netflix CDs come damaged, but I still enjoy getting them in the letter box... My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.
I suppose it varies, but DW has a steady stream of DVDs thru Netflix, and we rarely have one damaged - maybe 2 over the past two years? They will send a replacement before receiving the disk back. And I recall this was a concern for me, as probably 75% of the DVDs we got from the library would skip - really frustrating when you invest 45 minutes in a movie, and then can't finish it. Hasn't been a problem for us with Netflix.

Quote:
My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.
I don't know why that would be. We have two, they both work great after a short set up. Plus the Wii, which streams Netflix after requesting their disk (might be an online upgrade now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmourik View Post
Why not just buy a BD player that has streaming built in?
That's an option. However, from what I've read, the 'instant replay' feature on the Roku was much better than any alternatives, and that is important to me (if I miss what someone said, I want to repeat and hear it, without a 'buffering' delay).

Also, if you don't really need DVD capability, the Roku is a smaller box. That's nice in the kitchen, DW wouldn't want a DVD player sitting there, but the Roku is very small - tucks right under the TV and you don't even see it.

-ERD50
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #28

Quote:
My Roku, on the other hand, has never worked.
Have you done any troubleshooting? Perhaps someone here can help.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #29

I bought the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions. A message on my TV screen says "Please enter your security code" or something similar. I gave up - sorry I am not an IT person. Will call the cable people when time permits.... Thank you for your offer to help, MichaelB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Have you done any troubleshooting? Perhaps someone here can help.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
I bought the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions. A message on my TV screen says "Please enter your security code" or something similar. I gave up - sorry I am not an IT person. Will call the cable people when time permits.... Thank you for your offer to help, MichaelB.
I'd google the exact message it gave you.. I bet it's an easy fix. I doubt your cable company will help you, afaik that's a third party device they won't support.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

easy to set up

We have netflix streaming to two tv's in our home. Both of them to Blu Ray DVD players. One netflix account will let you set up at 5 locations.

Between netflix and Comcast On-demand movies, my kids are usually satisfied. Otherwise, they go to the movie rental place, the old fashinoned way.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IIRC, yes, when you start it the first time it needs to authorize an account. It's really very easy, (again, going by memory...) - you go to the Roku website and enter the code. I think that was it.

Yep..

How do I set up my Roku player? : Featured Questions
Quote:
Step 4: Let’s complete the guided setup! Just follow the on-screen instructions.

After the restart, you will be asked to select your time zone.
Change to your correct time zone then click “done”.

The next screen will display a unique code to link your Roku player.

Open a browser session on a computer.

Go to www.roku.com/link.

Enter the code displayed on the Roku and TV.

Upon linking, your Roku player will sync to your Roku account and be ready for play.
-ERD50
Old 06-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #33

We dropped all our premium Dish channels a couple of years ago and went with Netflix. We were due to upgrade our DVD player so went with a wireless streaming Blueray model. It works quite well for Netflix and Utube and will also connect to the house network to stream pictures to the TV (HD).

Like the others have said...the streaming selection is a bit thin if you watch a lot of movies which we don't. We got the Bluray disk subscription and so we get the Blueray version of the DVDs when they are available. One thing we have found is that the Blueray disks are far less forgiving of scratches etc. and we have had maybe 5 movies in the past 8 months or so that would not play properly. Netflix replaced the disks and sometimes the new one ran OK and sometimes it did not. We always make sure the DVD player software is up to date as this can lead to read errors on some disks too.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #34

Thank you, ERD50. I will try this today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
IIRC, yes, when you start it the first time it needs to authorize an account. It's really very easy, (again, going by memory...) - you go to the Roku website and enter the code. I think that was it.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #35

To activate the Roku you may need two codes. The first is the password to the wireless router. That's the same password yuor computer needs to access the wifi. Once that has been entered, the roku links with the router, goes online, and then gives you an authorization code for netflix. You log into your netflix account. Click "your account;', then "Activate a netflix ready device'. Enter the code from your roku, and hopefully, it accepts and you're up and running.