Apple Pay/Apple Watch

I've always loved Apple keynotes, just fun to watch. I think the Watch is a beautiful design, although it looks to be thicker than many normal watches.

I'm one if the few people I know who still wears an old school wristwatch. It's even got an analog face. Do people in the target demographic for the Apple Watch still wear a wristwatch?

I won't be buying one. I don't have an iPhone although I love my iMac and iPad. I love gadgets but this is not something I want or need.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I sure hope the security is okay with Apple Pay. Otherwise, instead of pick pockets to go after the wallet, it'll be pick wrist to go after a paying watch.

As always we'll have to see, but...

The iPhone security architecture is truly impressive. If you are interested in the technical details there was a white paper released earlier this year:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_Security_Feb14.pdf

Steve Gibson discussed this on this Security Now podcast - the transcript (and audio) is at

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-446.htm

Security on the iPhone is not an add-on afterthought. Nothings perfect, but Apple has put some serious effort into it all.

We'll have to wait for details on the watch until it actually exists in the wild.

Katsmeow, I also use Fitbit.

1. It's not clear if it has its own sensors or uses the one in the iPhone. It's also not clear if you have to have the iPhone paired and in proximity to the watch in order to record the fitness data. It would obviously be more convenient if you didn't and could just sync it later to iPhone or iPad, as you can with the Fitbit (the later models allow this).

2. Unknown, it would be interesting if it did and gave you charts.

4. This is still unclear. HealthKit in iOS8 is suppose to provide some standard for this but obviously many apps. are sharing data amongst themselves already. Will companies like Fitbit and MFP use HealthKit now and maybe aggregate data against your AppleID? Or would they still want you to create an account with them?

I didn't know Withings worked with Fitbit, since it has a competing wireless scale. I may get one so that's good to know.

I think something like Fitbit, while it doesn't collect heart rate data, is easier to use, clip on your waistband, it's very unobtrusive and much cheaper so you don't worry as much about losing it.

Plus one week battery life, versus charging the Apple Watch every night.
DW has a Fitbit and uses it a lot, I am holding off for something that integrates an activity monitor with a heart rate monitor and maybe blood pressure too. We take a 3 mile walk a few times a week, DW's fitbit says she has walked 8k steps, my iPhone says I went 7.5k steps, which may be true since I have longer legs but the iPhone will show how far and a GPS map of the walk. I have a Pulsar heart rate monitor; I have a-fib so I want a good heart monitor. The Pulsar is the minimum that is useful; it shows my current rate, max rate average rate and how long I have been in the fitness zone ( above a certain BPM). I would like to also have the ultimate health/exercise watch to monitor sleep patterns as well. And I want a record available, I have an iPhone ap Azumio Heart Rate monitor which works for pulse (heart rate) by reading heart rate via the camera lens for one minute tests but does have a graph of my basic heart pattern. I would like to be able to capture this kind of information and be able to email it to my doctor. I do not care if I need to wear a chest strap if the system captures a lot of data and communicates to the watch or iPhone.
So I want it all in one place and easy to use. It looks like the watch is a step in the direction I want but not there yet. If I could get it 'all' then the cost would matter less to me. It seems likely Apple will add features and I will get one when it does what I want.

I don't know, maybe. I think I will wait a couple of years and see how functional it is. I still wear an analog face wristwatch. Not sure quite why - I guess I just like it as the sole piece of jewelry I wear (other than my wedding band). Apple has designed a nice looking device and I kind of like the remote speaker phone capability (when paired with the iPhone). But, then, I really don't get a ton of calls so how useful could it be? A remote GPS monitor to call up easily while on the street? Maybe, but I suspect that battery drain on both the phone and the watch would be daunting. A heart beat monitor? I like that but doubt it will work well while working out -- at least not in today's version. A bike trip monitor? Could be useful. I carry an iPhone in a handle bar bag when riding. I don't like mounting it on the bars. Being able to glance at my wrist to see my speed and distance would be nice but, again, that would require running a suitable app on the phone and monitoring on the watch over a significant period of time draining the battery. My Garmin works OK already - although like the iWatch you have to recharge the darn thing all the time - what a PITA.

When the batteries get so good that I can run the phone and the watch for 24 hours straight with a GPS app running I may pop for this combo. Or maybe I will like it enough as the reviews come in that I will take a dive next spring. We shall see. :)

Last edited:
Maybe. But I bet it becomes the iWatch in common parlance.
I don't doubt that...it'll take a long time for the "i" to become silent. :cool:

Vivofit:
1) Available now for a much lower price.
2) Battery life is 1 year
3) Good for what I need, an accurate distance monitoring device
4) Can read it in bright sunlight or dim light
5) Has other functions like time, date, goal, calories, steps. I don't use these.

I'd like to see the Vivofit functionality added to my Timex Ironman. How do people get by without a stopwatch, count down timer, or alarm on the wrist? :)

I don't know how the Apple watch will get visibility in bright light working. I carry way too many chargers on vacations as it is. What a pain.

Had to look up a Vivosmart band.
It is made by Garmin, and looks like it does a lot of the same thing as Ap. Watch. No ApPay.

According to Cnet Garmin Vivosmart Preview - CNET looks like it is about $170, I would really have to be into fitness bands to pay that. My Fitbit One is about as high as I was willing to go. Still a nice looking band, with lots of functions, tha syncs to both Iphone and Android Phones. (Cnet link is a good video review)

If you plan on using the Apple Watch simply to get notifications from your phone, etc., I don't understand the appeal. You have to have your phone with you for the Apple Watch to work, so why not just look at your phone? duh!

If you're going to use it for something that the watch can do that the phone can't do, then I could understand why someone would get it. But at $349, it seems way overpriced....like most Apple products.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1410472894.890825.jpg

Until I learn more...... :)

If you plan on using the Apple Watch simply to get notifications from your phone, etc., I don't understand the appeal. You have to have your phone with you for the Apple Watch to work, so why not just look at your phone? duh!
That's because you are an old guy in a retirement forum ;) Loads of people will love being able to glance at their wrist to see what the buzzing in their pocket or purse is all about, make quicky speaker phone calls, etc. without having to pull out the phone and enter a pass code. The fact that the watch is joined at the hip with the phone is the whole point of this thing. Loads of people will buy it.

Wow, I saw my first iPhone 6 Plus today when a friend brought his new toy to a gathering. The screen is huge and beautiful, BUT:

The thing is enormous!
My first clue was that my friend walked into the room with it in his hand instead of his pocket, and he immediately laid it down on a table.

I put it in my shirt pocket, and it fit, but stuck up so high it looked kind of weird.

Definitely not for me. I can certainly see myself getting an iPhone 6 eventually, mainly to be able to use the Apple Pay functionality, but the Plus is too huge for comfort (and I'm a certified Apple fanboy).

Wow, I saw my first iPhone 6 Plus today when a friend brought his new toy to a gathering. The screen is huge and beautiful, BUT:

The thing is enormous!
My first clue was that my friend walked into the room with it in his hand instead of his pocket, and he immediately laid it down on a table.

I put it in my shirt pocket, and it fit, but stuck up so high it looked kind of weird.

Definitely not for me. I can certainly see myself getting an iPhone 6 eventually, mainly to be able to use the Apple Pay functionality, but the Plus is too huge for comfort (and I'm a certified Apple fanboy).

+1 It is ridiculous unless you carry a hand bag. DS and DD have the regular sized iPhone 6 and its big enough.

We have a Nexus 5, dimensions are 5.4 x 2.7. Apparently it's the same as the iPhone 6. I have no problem fitting it in my jeans pocket and I'm not a big guy. Are people exaggerating or coming from a small is better angle?

To do some web surfing you want a larger screen I think.

Last edited:
I often note that my iPad mini has like 5 times the screen size of DHs iPhone 5, and it makes a huge difference in terms of usability.

But I carry my iPad in my purse.

I often note that my iPad mini has like 5 times the screen size of DHs iPhone 5, and it makes a huge difference in terms of usability.

But I carry my iPad in my purse.
I've carried my Nexus 7 (7 inch diagonal screen) in my back pocket but have to remember not to take a seat.

Tradeoff between larger screen (with larger battery and optical image stabilization on the camera) vs. smaller size better for one-handed use.

We have a Nexus 5, dimensions are 5.4 x 2.7. Apparently it's the same as the iPhone 6. I have no problem fitting it in my jeans pocket and I'm not a big guy. Are people exaggerating or coming from a small is better angle?

To do some web surfing you want a larger screen I think.

The iPhone 6 is fine. The problem is with the 6 Plus.

Dimensions are 5.44 x 2.64 for the 6, and 6.22 x 3.06 inches for Plus.
Comparing them side by side, the Plus just looks huge. It's also 1.5 ounces heavier.

The iPhone 6 is fine. The problem is with the 6 Plus.

Dimensions are 5.44 x 2.64 for the 6, and 6.22 x 3.06 inches for Plus.
Comparing them side by side, the Plus just looks huge. It's also 1.5 ounces heavier.
I'm not planning on getting an iPhone yet. Out of curiousity I cut a piece of cardboard to the Plus dimensions you gave. It fit easily into my jeans pocket.

My son is adamant he doesn't want a big phone. With him I suspect it's a male ego thing -- not considered manly to pull out a big phone. We see these people all the time on movies pulling out there phones to make a tense, important call. I'm waiting for the scene where the guy pulls out a gigantic cell phone -- kind of like those big black Glocks. :)

Well, I think I'm going to be buying an Apple Watch!

Looking at my wrist now, I'm wearing both a wristwatch and a Fitbit bracelet every day, and they take more space together and are still missing a lot of features (like an inactivity alarm).

We watched the presentation yesterday. It will work well for me as I'll probably use both the fitness monitoring features as well as the several of the iPhone/iPad extension features like notifications.

A year ago I didnt think it was something that would interest me.

It was on 5 different channels at the same time yesterday. Way overhyped. The battery life is horrible, it has to be paired to another device, the knob on the side is a pain in the butt to use. I have a phone, why do I need a watch too?

Now they want it to be fashion and not function. It is going to be a giant flop.

Note: I have puts on AAPL stock.

Note: I have puts on AAPL stock.

If the AAPL puts pan out, you can buy one of the pricey solid gold ones!

The fitness angle is interesting and being able to use Apple Pay is a big plus since I own an older iPhone.

I'll be fun to take a look at them when they show up in the stores.

I don't wear watches so the Watch doesn't have much appeal to me.

Definitely want the mobile payments though. Hoping Apple can push it far and wide, including overseas.
+1 to both for me, especially the (reported) $10K-$17K gold edition. Sheeeesh...

og_apple_watch_edition.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom