Are We Alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would explain some of my former co-w*rkers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Even if we determined that there was some form of life elsewhere in the universe or in the distance past. So what? What meaning would that have?

Begs the question what does anything really mean?

One only needs to watch Ancient Aliens program on history channel. Every ancient mystery or feat is connected to aliens and/or their technology. Apparently, earth is a magnet for benevolent aliens.
And yet they never call me to just hang out and such.........?
:confused:

I love this subject matter, and I suspect this thread will have its own long lifespan...
All in all, many "lucky" events needed for intelligent civilizations.

Oh, please. "Lucky?" Give me a break. It was LBYM, working long hours, rebalancing, delayed gratification, index funding, not having children and never getting divorced.

Even if we determined that there was some form of life elsewhere in the universe or in the distance past. So what? What meaning would that have?
Some people have a curiosity to explore.It is not a crime.We could learn so much from advanced beings that it could open up new countless possibilities and opportunities for us.I always am amazed at those who say we have no business out in space.To those who say that here's a question:Where do they think we are?

Gustatus Similis Pullus

Perhaps fortunately, E=mc^2 all but rules out long-distance space travel of limited-lifespan beings. Since information has no mass, it is not constrained by E=mc^2 and thus FTL communication appears feasible IMO.

Last edited:
This will make an interesting poll. What would advanced aliens will do to earthlings once they reach earth in mass?

1) they will eradicate humans to make earth their colony or new home
2) they will harvest humans for food
3) they will help us to reach our potential, share technology. LOL. LOL. LOL.
4) they will ask us to join an intergalactic federation.

This will make an interesting poll. What would advanced aliens will do to earthlings once they reach earth in mass?

1) they will eradicate humans to make earth their colony or new home
2) they will harvest humans for food
3) they will help us to reach our potential, share technology. LOL. LOL. LOL.
4) they will ask us to join an intergalactic federation.

I'd vote:
5)bring small pox like infected blankets

Regarding physical travel/teleportation of mass, etc: If the rules we believe to day are true, it takes a LOT of energy to accelerate mass to anything near light speed. Any culture with the technology to make that energy and to make the trip would have little use for any physical thing that they'd find on earth--they'd be able to make any new elements or anything else they want.

They'd also have the technology and the know-how to understand our society and to evade being detected. Teh idea that they'd be contacting yokels out in the swamps or mistakenly crash-landing somewhere is ludicrous.

If an alien society has the ability to teleport matter or communicate faster than light, the major interest they'd probably have in earth is to study us, to see how another intelligent life form developed their knowledge and culture.

If an alien society has the ability to teleport matter or communicate faster than light, the major interest they'd probably have in earth is to study us, to see how another intelligent life form developed their knowledge and culture.

Or maybe they are just checking in to see how their experiment is progressing.

Regarding physical travel/teleportation of mass, etc: If the rules we believe to day are true, it takes a LOT of energy to accelerate mass to anything near light speed. Any culture with the technology to make that energy and to make the trip would have little use for any physical thing that they'd find on earth--they'd be able to make any new elements or anything else they want.

They'd also have the technology and the know-how to understand our society and to evade being detected. Teh idea that they'd be contacting yokels out in the swamps or mistakenly crash-landing somewhere is ludicrous.

I am counting on physics that we don't yet comprehend that enables aliens to appear out of thin air from another galaxy. No transporter or warp speed travel needed. I am sure a race of Q exists. :D

+1000

We could be the toy of some other creatures (ending of Men in Black) ;)

Some people have a curiosity to explore.It is not a crime.We could learn so much from advanced beings that it could open up new countless possibilities and opportunities for us.I always am amazed at those who say we have no business out in space.To those who say that here's a question:Where do they think we are?

Regardless of what the math says about the possibility of some sort of life form in the vast universe the practical reality is that the existence of any intelligent life near enough to us for any kind of communication (based on the speed of light) is exceedingly remote. At best we might detect some fossil evidence on planets in our solar system. Or we might get a signal from space indicating the presence of life in the form of biomolecules or whatnot. Even with the remote chance we received an intelligible electromagnetic signal it would be at best a one way communication.

I'm not totally against a few people looking "out there" or asking what if questions. I'm not against a space program either. I do want a space program to address life here on earth though.

Also, we have a lot of history and a lot of people on this planet. The idea that we need help from outside seems like a waste of resources. It's not like we've exhausted our own potential.

Regardless of what the math says about the possibility of some sort of life form in the vast universe the practical reality is that the existence of any intelligent life near enough to us for any kind of communication (based on the speed of light) is exceedingly remote. At best we might detect some fossil evidence on planets in our solar system. Or we might get a signal from space indicating the presence of life in the form of biomolecules or whatnot. Even with the remote chance we received an intelligible electromagnetic signal it would be at best a one way communication.

I'm not totally against a few people looking "out there" or asking what if questions. I'm not against a space program either. I do want a space program to address life here on earth though.

Also, we have a lot of history and a lot of people on this planet. The idea that we need help from outside seems like a waste of resources. It's not like we've exhausted our own potential.
Well,have ever considered the possibility the powers that be have allready made contact with intelligent beings much more advanced than us and not told us?I have.I agree there is probraly no other life in our solar system besides Earth.There's a chance though.Our current knowledge of how the Universe works could be wrong.If that is true then that would open up a wide range of possibilities that we currently don't consider possible.The most obvious is faster than light travel.You seem to be looking at what is possible based on what we think we know to be true about the Universe.I am looking at things based on all possibilities.If you are happy with our World then that is fine.I am not .I want more.Anything could be possible because we do not know what is out there.

Last edited:
Well,have ever considered the possibility the powers that be have allready made contact with intelligent beings much more advanced than us and not told us?I have.I agree there is probraly no other life in our solar system besides Earth.There's a chance though.Our current knowledge of how the Universe works could be wrong.If that is true then that would open up a wide range of possibilities that we currently don't consider possible.The most obvious is faster than light travel.You seem to be looking at what is possible based on what we think we know to be true about the Universe.I am looking at things based on all possibilities.If you are happy with our World then that is fine.I am not .I want more.Anything could be possible because we do not know what is out there.

:peace:

Really? I give up in the face of such logic.

Interesting topic.

I wonder what the correlation is to believing in ETs verses believing in a deity.

Can anyone prove the existence of either...

Can anyone disprove the existence of either?

Alien inter galactic travel at a thousand times the speed of light?

A supreme being... Creator of the universe?

Is one more plausible than the other?

It has been my experience that discussions of religion rarely end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom