Are you looking forward to self driving cars?

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There's an article in Wired about a car created by Delphi (the parts manufacturer) that just drove 99% of the way across the country autonomously, with human intervention only when they left the highways and drove in city traffic. This is Big: A Robo-Car Just Drove Across the Country.

I'm a big time driver, I love to drive, love to cruise, and am not exactly sure how I feel about the coming revolution in automobile travel. I can definitely recognize the potential life savings of removing idiots (like myself sometimes) from controlling multi-thousand pound death machines. Also, I suspect it would improve traffic situations. And there are definitely times when it would be better for me to be able to say "Home, James" and fall asleep until I'm delivered to my doorstep. But if it happens in my driving lifetime, I will miss the fun aspects of driving. I doubt it will actually change completely until I'm too old to be driving anywhere but Florida anyway. I'm just curious about how others feel about the change.

I'm looking forward to them. Too much time behind the wheel is challenging for me and we'd like to get out for longer road trips.

I think a self-driving car would be of major benefit for aging folks and also parents with babies & young children.

After almost getting T-boned today by someone who thought he could talk on his cell phone and drive at the same time, self-driving cars can't get here soon enough. If you want to talk on the phone, let the machine drive.

There are times when I wouldn't mind - a long driving trip for example. Or DW will often point out things in the landscape that I can't look at because I'm driving. On a winding twisty road though, I like driving.

I sure look forward to seeing all those other idiots out there being taken out of the equation though.:D

No. My car already does too much for me. I'd rather do the driving. Maybe I'm just too old to adapt to the idea? At any rate, I don't like it one bit. *

If/when self driving cars become the norm, I plan to eliminate car ownership from my lifestyle. I'll start walking places or ride a bike or something.

*I don't even use cruise control. :hide:

Not really.
Nowadays I often see big mercurys and crown victorias seemingly self driving at a slow pace. Until I am next to them at a stop light. Then I see a liitle old lady peering between the top of the dashboard and under the steering wheel.

At least now I must assume that a human is driving. I am not confident that self dring cars will be more predictable in behavior.

Will google gurantee a "supreme directive" never to harm a human, failsafely implemented?

Not for me either.:nonono:

Think of the opportunity for terrorism; a single hacker could cause thousands of deaths in a matter of minutes. A hostile nation could do the same.

I have very little faith in the manufacturer to provide complete isolation from unauthorized outside control in these vehicles, never mind the sneak circuit path that drives me into incoming traffic.

One only has to appreciate what certain countries have done to the Iranian nuclear effort in this vein to realize what could happen with these "smart" cars. The ability of LE to access the OnStar system without user knowledge is only a peek through the window.

_B

Not for me at this time.......maybe later in life. I'm a driver. I enjoy cruising. Two of my family members are blind/going blind and the one that's going blind, thinks it would be great. I can just see the auto-car parking in the middle of the parking lot at the food store. My sister then trying to figure out which way the store is and then banging her way through all the parked cars to get to the store. My brother calls me his auto car. I get him there and back and don't make a fuss.

I can't wait as I do not really enjoy driving AND while the vast majority of drivers are respectful to bicyclists, for the ones that are not, I am more and more convinced their driving approach cannot be influenced. I hope the cars are built with features that keep them at a safe distance while passing and they are not allowed to pass on blind curves.

There are times when I wouldn't mind - a long driving trip for example. Or DW will often point out things in the landscape that I can't look at because I'm driving. On a winding twisty road though, I like driving.

I sure look forward to seeing all those other idiots out there being taken out of the equation though.:D

+1 I generally enjoy driving, but fir long trips of interstate driving I would use it. Long trips bore me and wear me out, but I enjoy hustling through a nice curvy section of road for "fun".

I wonder, if you are using one of these cars, will it be ok for the human "driver" to take a nap?

I look forward to self driving cars. I have observed that loosing the ability to drive with age is a major loss of independence. I hope that by the time driving is no longer a safe option for me self driving cars will be functional. It would also be great for the times now when I am just too tired to drive. Yes, I like the "home James" option.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In addition to the "trust" issue, additional cost, "hackers", etc., I just don't particularly like the idea. I'm sure it can be done, but it would take any fun out of driving. Now, I am all for devices or aids which can make driving safer (eg., alerts to sleepy drivers, collision avoidance warnings, nav-aids, etc.) But at least for a few more years, I think I'll just do the driving myself. Oh, and regarding cruise control: On the mainland, I use it a lot. Here in the Islands, I checked that my CC worked when I bought my used cars. Since then, I haven't had a long enough stretch of road to really need CC. YMMV

I would like to see highways with "automated drivers only" lanes. And put some teeth in it: you take it into "manual mode", and you get a ticket automatically mailed to your house...tell it to the judge. They'd have zero rush hour fender-benders and so a predictable commute (for those poor buggers that still do that kind of thing).

+1 I generally enjoy driving, but fir long trips of interstate driving I would use it. Long trips bore me and wear me out, but I enjoy hustling through a nice curvy section of road for "fun".

I wonder, if you are using one of these cars, will it be ok for the human "driver" to take a nap?

I would like to see highways with "automated drivers only" lanes. And put some teeth in it: you take it into "manual mode", and you get a ticket automatically mailed to your house...tell it to the judge. They'd have zero rush hour fender-benders and so a predictable commute (for those poor buggers that still do that kind of thing).

I agree with a lot of these comments, including the concerns for security. I do like to drive, but after my commute this year to FL I'd be glad to have the option to turn over control and sleep. I'm sure that option will come along someday, but I doubt it will be in my lifetime.

The automated driver lands is an interesting idea, but it seems it would either require new construction for ramps, etc. Or the driver would have to be involved for when they have to cross non-automated lanes for exits and such.

To me there are (at least) two aspects of this. One is relatively short term, where you turn over control to the auto driver, but need to be alert and awake and probably will have to step at times. The other longer term, and to me the optimum option, would be complete automation where every car on the road is self driving and people are just along for the ride like in a train or bus. This obviously will require meeting all the objections regarding security and safety. But it would completely(?) do away with all the traffic deaths and injuries and move everything more efficiently.

Then we can have tracks for the people who want to drive, similar to bike paths now. They will be looked on as quaint curiosities.

I enjoy driving and probably wouldn't engage the self-driving feature at all, but I'm still looking forward to the arrival of these cars. The big advantage for a lot of situations is that the car no longer needs to be parked within walking distance of where the occupants are going--it can drive itself to a highly-efficient parking structure. Give it a few minutes notice and it will drive back to pick people up. This will be a big advantage in the city.
And, once the vehicles are networked together and talking, they can safely drive with only a few feet separating them (since activating the brake on one car or a sudden deceleration, ect will immediately activate the brakes on following ones as needed, space can me made to allow cars in/out of the special lane, etc). Studies show one automated lane like this can move more cars than 6 lines of "regular" traffic with human drivers. But it might be scary at first.

Already have one. " Honey, I'm really tired, can you drive for awhile " . Works 100 % of the time . The cost ?, just never criticize her driving ;)

90% of my driving is boring so I would welcome auto pilot as long as I could return to manual when I wanted to.

I enjoy driving and probably wouldn't engage the self-driving feature at all, but I'm still looking forward to the arrival of these cars. The big advantage for a lot of situations is that the car no longer needs to be parked within walking distance of where the occupants are going--it can drive itself to a highly-efficient parking structure. Give it a few minutes notice and it will drive back to pick people up. This will be a big advantage in the city.

That's a good point. Then we can use our garages for what they were intended for, storing our stuff.

Also, the concept of the autopilot lanes will work well for people who either don't want to drive, that trip or ever, or hopefully for people who recognize they aren't good drivers but still need to get from point A to point B. That could make the remaining manual lanes much safer for those of us who like to drive. Maybe in the future if you get a ticket you'll be sentenced to the autopilot lanes for 6 months or something, similar to today's limiting you to just driving to and from work.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Logically, all of the following should happen:

• Cars will actually be used instead of standing still all day. The average utilization now is <10%. This could easily become 30%.
  • Driving yourself will become illegal on most roads because self-drivers will have less than a tenth of the accidents (being generous here). Computers don't get tired, drunk, high, nor emotional.
  • Car ownership will become like owning a horse: for enthusiasts only. Why own a car when it's a factor 3 cheaper to not own one and there is always one of the kind you like just a beep away?
  • Congestion will plummet and become more predictable
  • Ride sharing becomes easier and drives down cost and congestion further.
  • Parking lots will become smaller, freeing up real estate
  • 1M people will lose their jobs (truck and taxi drivers)
  • Speeding and parking ticket revenue will disappear overnight, taxes will be raised elsewhere
  • Transport of goods will drop by 10% or more (no truck driver).
  • Fuel efficiency goes up since self-drivers can tailgate with very little added risk, cutting on wind drag.

So safer roads, less accidents, less hassle and more economic efficiency.

If only we can find better jobs for the truck drivers, what's not to like?

Like having the best chauffeur in the world available to you 24/7 at a reduced cost, and none of the hassle.

No. I love to drive.

OTOH, when robo cars are the norm, there will be no need to own a car. Uber uber alles.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I love driving/riding and don't relish the idea of self-driving cars becoming mandatory. But the handwriting is on the wall. Luckily I really like my 2008 Infiniti since I may end up keeping it longer than anticipated.
Not to change the subject, but what about the occasional, unavoidable worst-case scenario where a car must decide between taking out a pedestrian and causing an accident that might take several lives? Does programming really contain reasoning to take as few lives as possible?

Not to change the subject, but what about the occasional, unavoidable worst-case scenario where a car must decide between taking out a pedestrian and causing an accident that might take several lives? Does programming really contain reasoning to take as few lives as possible?

Well, if I was coding it I would have the car flash the red lights, sound the internal siren, and hand control back to the driver. "Here, you deal with it!".

Seriously, that's going to be one of the major holdups for this becoming universal. Liability. I would hope the software would make the "lowest death count" choice. You can never predict everything.

I honestly don't think it's going to "really" happen in my lifetime. Oh sure, there will be some auto-auto's, but it won't be universally adopted.

I always liked this old idea,
The Roads Must Roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
although even back then they had the pre-Internet version of "hackers" to worry about, and rolling roads were quite vulnerable to the pre-Internet version of a SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) attack.

Back
Top Bottom