Join Early Retirement Today

Are you routine oriented?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you routine oriented?

And if so, disturbed if someone or something disturbs that set routine?

I was thinking of that this morning at the gym. We go right when they open up, and there is a core group of about 15 people, and for the most part, each person seems to park their car in the exact same spot in the parking lot...EXCEPT one woman, she parks willy-nilly and sometimes parks in a spot where someone else usually does. So you see her park there, and the regular person pulls up, and you can see this mental confusion cross their face as they are forced to park somewhere else! No one has ever said anything to her, but I can tell by facial expressions and dirty looks, that is bothers some people.

Me--she has parked where I normally do as well, and I just pull into the next spot and go about my day. I am routine oriented but just roll with it if something disrupts that routine. I mean it is only a parking space

I used to see it on the ferry commute too. People would sit in the same spots and some rookie would get on the boat and take 'their' spot. There I have seen some arguments over it. People got pretty ticked off, and I just never understood why they couldn't roll with it. I think it has to do with getting your day off to a start the way 'you' want to, and when something disrupts that, it sets your whole day up poorly. But that is just a guess on my part.

Obviously Hakuna Matata is a good moniker for me as I never let stuff like that bother me. Do you? No judgements, just curious as to how people react to people messing up their routines!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure a lot of food fights started in high school when some kid sat in a spot that wasn't his regular spot

When I was w*rking, I was more routine oriented. I used to commute by train to w*rk and would have a regular sitting area most of the week. Many left at a certain time and had a certain seat and hung out with friends who did the same thing. People are creatures of habit.

I've slacked off (probably too much) a routine since retiring.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Not at all. Little things like this are not worth worrying about as far as I am concerned. However, a former work colleague of mine used to get very offended if "her" seat was taken at a regular weekly meeting, to the extent that everyone else knew to avoid that seat unless she was on vacation.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I too have slacked off a tad....however I go to weight watchers every Saturday morning and sit in the same location. And so do other regulars. When I was working it was the same in the board room for morning report. Now that I think about it I have new routines....for example...I won't lounge on the sofa until 4:00 for Judge Judy. :-)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To my knowledge, not one of these people actually purchased or even rented that parking space or that chair at the meeting, so they don't have a "right" to the spot in the first place. At work when I step away from a chair or a computer terminal and someone asks permission to use that location, I just laugh and say I didn't buy the chair or make a joke that I'm charging rent for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm not routine oriented at all except... at home I have certain places for certain things and if I'm looking for that certain thing and it happens to have a specific place I expect it to be there... unfortunately, DW isn't quite so structured at home
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
... at home I have certain places for certain things and if I'm looking for tat certain thing and it happens to have a specific place I expect it to be there... unfortunately, DW isn't quite so structured at home
Same thing happens here. Or she'll decide to "straighten things up" and move things to a new location and not tell me. So sometimes things "just disappear". Doesn't happen often though so not a biggie.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

The "you took my seat" phenomenon is very common in churches. Every once in awhile our pastors will encourage us to sit somewhere different and remind us to welcome the visitor who sits in "our" seat.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm very routine oriented at home, but not out in public. That makes no sense by definition.

Mr B's office is a no-fly zone for me, by my choice. I will occasionally go in there to vacuum, with him present moving stuff out of the way for me, but other than that, it is his man-cave and I respect that. He does his own organizing and disturbing the sedimentary layers dusting off the glass top computer desk as needed.

My plant growing room is the smaller bedroom right next door, and he stays out of my room also. The house is relatively small but we like having our own little personal space to be as routine oriented as we want to be.

We each have our own recliner in the living room. Mine has more back support than the cushy leather one he prefers.

The downstairs room serves as a common storage area because there is no true basement in a raised ranch. The kitchen area is also a shared space. I am very methodical about where I store things, so if he doesn't know where to put something, he leaves it on the counter for me to file away.

He's an accountant, I'm an engineer.

It is a peaceful household.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Both DW and I are routine oriented. I won't bore you with the details.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess my only routines are with respect to my dog (feeding/exercise) and meal timing but not so much otherwise. I was more routine oriented prior to retiring, but now change doesn't bother me much.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
The "you took my seat" phenomenon is very common in churches. Every once in awhile our pastors will encourage us to sit somewhere different and remind us to welcome the visitor who sits in "our" seat.
I have occasionally come across people who behave as if a specific seat was
"God Given" to them. Nice to hear that disputed.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting topic...
From my own perspective, routine is age related. Much easier, making for more happiness and contentment.
Not so, in earlier years... Then, the excitement and challenge made for more satisfaction.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

At the gym I go to shade is a limited commodity in the lot. I have a dog whom I walk with after my workouts on MW&F.

Invariably if I am even one minute late this one person who knows I have a dog in the car and that I come every MW&F is parked in the last shady spot. One they know I use to shade my dog.

If I come earlier a class of older women has ALL the shady spots. If I come later it's too hot to leave the dog in the car to get a workout done ( I leave windows partly down, water in a bowl and two fans blowing on her) while I workout.

I live twenty miles from gym so leaving her home isn 't an option. She wants to come.

So yes I am routine oriented and routinely pissed off at the shade thief. I once left a note to the effect that I am sure that nothing is more important to them than their own personal comfort, even a suffering animal. No different behavior occurred. They always give me a little s<#t eating grin if we encounter each other inside.

There, I feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
....Mr B's office is a no-fly zone for me, by my choice. I will occasionally go in there to vacuum, with him present moving stuff out of the way for me, but other than that, it is his man-cave and I respect that. He does his own organizing and disturbing the sedimentary layers dusting off the glass top computer desk as needed......
I'll need to have you explain this to my DW... she doesn't get the concept.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retguy View Post
If I come later it's too hot to leave the dog in the car to get a workout done ( I leave windows partly down, water in a bowl and two fans blowing on her) while I workout.

If you did this in Florida someone would call the police and/or break out the car window to rescue the dog.

I live twenty miles from gym so leaving her home isn 't an option. She wants to come.

This is because the dog was trained to this behavior. Maybe she should be trained to stay home while you exercise.

So yes I am routine oriented and routinely pissed off at the shade thief. I once left a note to the effect that I am sure that nothing is more important to them than their own personal comfort, even a suffering animal.

It was your choice to bring the dog and place her in a potentially life threatening situation. Don't blame someone else for your irresponsible actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In just the last couple of weeks there have been a few reports on TV about this very thing and the owners have been fined for cruelty to animals. In some cases the dog was taken from the owner. Leaving an animal in a car regardless of cracking windows, putting on a fan, and leaving water doesn't necessarily address the danger to the animal. Dogs pant to cool themselves off and when the temperature rises their bodies are trying to cool off with hot air. They cook from the inside. This is irresponsible behavior for an animal owner. Of course most who do this will try to rationalize or make excuses.

There I feel better.

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious. How would you react if someone left a note on your car, accusing you of stealing the shade which s/he needs in order to keep a child or elderly, disabled parent in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retguy View Post
I once left a note to the effect that I am sure that nothing is more important to them than their own personal comfort, even a suffering animal. No different behavior occurred. They always give me a little s<#t eating grin if we encounter each other inside.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have occasionally come across people who behave as if a specific seat was
"God Given" to them. Nice to hear that disputed.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

That was usually a territorial, power-grab sort of thing, more than love of routine per se. A certain group of kids always sat in the seats the farthest from where teachers could get at them. Loners and brainiacs keep out, or wear your own lunch!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm sure a lot of food fights started in high school when some kid sat in a spot that wasn't his regular spot

Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

I'm somewhat routine-oriented on the micro level (when I'm working on something, I'm focused, and don't like to be interrupted). But I'm not routine-oriented on the macro level; Since I ERd, I don't like to plan my days or weeks ahead of time, and structured days are more of a hindrance than a help.