Aretha Franklin - gone

We saw her perform twice. Such an amazing voice. May she Rest In Peace.

I liked her in the Blues Brothers!

I recall hearing an interview with someone from the production of the Blues Brothers regarding Aretha and a couple other of the blues legends that sang in the movie. It seems they didn't' get the concept of the movie singing voice over that well, so the editors ended up splicing various footage of them in the scenes to match the songs they were singing. That explains why some of the singing scenes are a little jumpy!

DW & I grew up and came of age in Detroit during the heydays of Motown. Though Aretha Franklin never signed with the Motown label, she was and always will be an icon of that genre. Arguably, Aretha was the best female soul singer since Billie Holiday. Aretha Franklin, you'll be missed! What a voice, what a lady!

Awesome singer. Sad that she went so young. I read it was pancreatic cancer.

Oh no!!! I saw an article just yesterday saying that her health was declining precipitously.

She was one of a kind, and her amazing singing seemed to be so natural for her.

Another musical icon gone. Saw that she was in hospice care very recently. Glad her family was by her side.

I read she was diagnosed with it 8 years ago so lived a long time considering.

A friend of mine had the privilege of being in a choir that performed with Aretha Franklin. She said she was a perfectionist and very demanding. My friend loved every minute of it.

Oh no!!! I saw an article just yesterday saying that her health was declining precipitously.

She was one of a kind, and her amazing singing seemed to be so natural for her.

I love that the great Otis Redding, who wrote that song, said she stole it away from him with her version. What an anthem she made it.

Aretha was originally from Memphis. Jerry Wexler brought her to Muscle Shoals in 1967 to record what would be her best album. Aretha's then husband stayed drunk all the time, and caused a big ruckus. Aretha and her whole posse picked up and went back to New York with the album half finished. The Swampers eventually flew to NYC and completed the album there.

She was the Queen of Soul and Elvis was the King of Rock. Both died the same day 41 years apart!

Last edited:
She was the Queen of Soul and Elvis was the King of Rock. Both died the same day 21 years apart!

So..it's true...Elvis didn't die in 1977?

Back
Top Bottom