Ash Wednesday

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today is Ash Wednesday. Are you giving something up, or taking on a spiritual discipline for Lent? If so, what?

My wife and I talked about it. We decided to take a different tack. Instead of giving something up, we decided to sacrifice some of our time to increase our volunteering efforts for good local causes. So instead of giving up certain foods or activities or whatever, we're giving up free time.

Our reasoning was that giving up stuff really helps no one, whereas giving away some of our time does produce positive results in the community.

My wife and I talked about it. We decided to take a different tack. Instead of giving something up, we decided to sacrifice some of our time to increase our volunteering efforts for good local causes. So instead of giving up certain foods or activities or whatever, we're giving up free time.

Our reasoning was that giving up stuff really helps no one, whereas giving away some of our time does produce positive results in the community.

This is a beautiful thought ziggy and I am totally on board. DH and I do a lot of volunteer work too. You may have inspired us to do a bit more.

Zigg. Yes. Giving something extra is much better than depriving yourself of something.

Maybe the deprivation thing is centered around depriving yourself to enable you to give it to others who need it more than you do.

Either way, you are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom