AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon

txtig

Full time employment: Posting here.
I currently use AT&T for cellular services. Two iPhones, both with unlimited data. I want to make some changes to the plan (reduce the number of minutes) but AT&T says no changes unless I give up the unlimited data. On top of that, they're raising the price of their grandfathered unlimited data plans by $5/month.

I want to change carriers to either Sprint or Verizon. Sprint still offers unlimited data at a much lower cost than what I'm paying to AT&T. Verizon has no unlimited data, but has some plans with very high limits (I need unlimited or high limits for data on one of the two phones). But, I've heard some bad things about the coverage on the Sprint network. I think the Verizon network is probably as good if not better than AT&T.

I'd appreciate some feedback from others on your experiences on how these three carriers compare with respect to coverage of the network, reliability, dropped calls, etc. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've been a Sprint (network) customer for several years and yes, their data network coverage is limited primarily to urban/high population density areas. No problems with reliability or dropped calls.

Take a look at their data coverage map - I've found it to be reasonably accurate.

I've been a Sprint (network) customer for several years and yes, their data network coverage is limited primarily to urban/high population density areas. No problems with reliability or dropped calls.

Take a look at their data coverage map - I've found it to be reasonably accurate.

Don't trust the AT&T map. We're smack in the middle of covered areas in both homes, and have relatively weak coverage in both. In our FL home we just installed one of their microcells which gives us great coverage, but uses our Comcast internet service to do it. Bogus.

We'll probably switch to VZ at some point, but we both like our phones and don't have enough reason to switch at this point.

Years ago AT&T had the best coverage in our area, but now Verizon is just as good. But coverage is very much a local phenomena, so the experience of others may not provide much insight for someone in another location...

Like REW noted, your best bet is probably too look closely at the coverage maps for your area, noting what's 4G LTE and what's less (4G is considerably faster than 3G). I would look at some independent maps too (not just the providers map), here's just one http://opensignal.com/

Have you looked at t-mobile. I have friends who are big data users and they like the t-mobile unlimited everything plan.

I had verizon, which has excellent signal here in San Diego, but was paying over $100/month for 1 smart phone and one dumb phone. I switched to Ting (sprint network) and now pay about $80 for FOUR smart phones. (kids now have smart phones.) I had to bring my own phones, though. I buy last years phones on ebay, amazon, or glyde, making sure they are network compatible. The signal is slightly less on Sprint vs Verizon... but the savings makes it worth it.

We use airvoicewireless which is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that uses the AT&T network. Our cell needs are modest, so we each only have the $10/month pay-as-you-go plan but we have been happy with the service. They have a plan with unlimited voice, unlimited text and 5 GB of data (2.5 GB high speed, 2.5 GB reduced speed) for $50/month.

I have had both AT&T and Sprint. Really could not tell much difference, if any. I got in on "specials" with both so price wasn't an issue either. Finally settled with AT&T.

AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon

The map linked by Midpack more matches my experience than the supplier maps. ( thanks)
If you need coverage while traveling Verizon coverage is much better than Sprint.

GF had Sprint and I had Verizon phones for two cross country road trips. She could rarely get service outside metro areas. My Verizon phone worked in all but the remotest places. I even had service crossing Nevada on Rt. 50.

Verizon cost substantially more, but if you wander into the boonies often it's worth the expense. YMMV.

Last edited:
I had T Mobile's unlimited everything $50 service, and especially like their $.20 per minute voice calls when we're overseas. But I turned in my service last week, choosing to cut my cell phone off.

After 25 years of mega phone calls on my job at MegaCompany, I no longer talk often on the telephone. My wife's still got her Tracfone that I can use in case of emergency--like if I run out of gas in my boat while out on the river.

I already find it really nice to finally have some peace and quiet. And it's great to have another $50 per month in my pocket.

I've used each of the Big-4 networks. They all have adequate coverage in densely populated areas and along major highways. Beyond that, they all have holes in their coverage of varying sizes and locations. Sprint and T-Mobile tend to have larger holes. You can check coverage maps but they are notoriously inaccurate as coverage changes frequently.

We are fairly light users, so price is more important than coverage. Everybody I know has switched from one of the Big-4 to an MVNO. They provide cheaper, contract-free access to your favorite Big-4 network. We use Ting. DW has an iPhone on their CDMA network (Sprint), while I have a Nexus 5 on GSM (T-Mobile). We average about $35/mo total for both. Devices on Ting's CDMA network (Sprint) also get free roaming on Verizon's network for voice and text (not data). As a result, when we're traveling in remote areas, DW's CDMA iPhone has never failed to get a connection on Ting.

MVNOs that use the AT&T and Verizon network tend to cost more because the coverage areas are larger, so wholesale access costs more. But the MVNOs are still cheaper (and offer more options) than using AT&T or Verizon directly. For our usage patterns and needs, Sprint and T-Mobile networks are more than adequate. And Ting provides ultra-cheap access with no contract.

Verizon pros and cons -- or my opinions anyway

I have had Verizon for the past 15 years or so, and the only dropped call I have ever had was when going through the tunnel under Mobile Bay. So, dropped calls have not been a problem for me.

Reliability has been perfect, except for a while after Hurricane Katrina when so many cell towers were unavailable. Overall, I have no problem with the quality of service that I get with Verizon.

Despite that, lately I have been thinking of leaving Verizon for two reasons:

(1) I am not sure I am getting $60 in value for the $60 I pay for my iPhone talk and (fairly minimal) data right now. I can afford it, but why pay more than it is worth to me?

(2) My understanding is that Verizon has started leasing phones and adding that charge to your monthly bill, instead of letting you purchase a phone and use that one. So as soon as I need a new phone, my $60 is history, I suppose.

I thought about switching to Sprint when they offered to cut my AT&T bill in half, but when I called AT&T to tell them I was thinking about switching they offered to reduce my bill by $20/month, so I decided to stay with them.

I have never had useable reception in my house due to all the concrete in my home. The microcells have generally solved those problems, but AT&T recently enabled wifi calling, so now all of my calls at home are routed over my wifi routers, which has worked out great.

I only have three gigabytes per month of data, but the retention department offered to bump me up to 6GB for a relatively small fee. It's always best to talk to the retention department before making any decisions.

My neighbor has Sprint. Reception in this neighborhood is OK, but he frequently can't make calls when traveling to less urban areas. Sprint is dead last in reliability in all of the national surveys. I would proceed cautiously.

My understanding is that Verizon has started leasing phones and adding that charge to your monthly bill, instead of letting you purchase a phone and use that one. So as soon as I need a new phone, my $60 is history, I suppose.

There is a change with the new Verizon programs where they unbundled the phone purchase from the ongoing service charges. So, for example, we are no longer in a contract.

I bought a Droid Pure (compatible with all four major carriers) direct from Motorola and DW's iPhone is just over two years old so the contract on it has expired. So the standard rate (no discounts) is $40 for shared unlimited talk and text and 3GB of data and then $20 for each smart phone.

There are payment (and maybe lease) plans for those people who need to buy a phone from Verizon but it is not a requirement.

Again, I view this as a significant step forward.

.... Despite that, lately I have been thinking of leaving Verizon ...

DS uses PagePlus, a MVNO that uses the Verizon network. They offer a 250 minute voice/250 text/10mb data plan for $12/month and a 1500 minute voice/unlimited text/1GB data plan for $30/month. You could keep your phone if you want or buy a new phone.

Proving earlier rumors correct, prepaid Verizon Wireless MVNO Page Plus is now offering customers access to Verizon’s 4G LTE network.

While it hasn't been announced through Page Plus' online channels, parent company TracFone Wireless has confirmed the news. For now, LTE speeds are only available to customers on plans of $29.95 per month and up....

Some people get overly attached to the grandfathered "unlimited" plans. I have a sister like this.

I looked at her usage and she uses almost no data at all. "But I use email all the time!" she said, not realizing that (1) email uses little data really, and (2) she has WiFi at home and at her Dental office, so she's not using any of her plan data in those places at all.

I think I've convinced her that switching to one of the new Family plans with a big chunk of data to share will save them money.

Also, someone mentioned AT&T's WiFi calling for iPhones (6 and above). It's really nice. I used to have a MicroCell because of no cell signal in the house, but this works so much better. And works whenever I'm on a good WiFi network.

Also, someone mentioned AT&T's WiFi calling for iPhones (6 and above). It's really nice. I used to have a MicroCell because of no cell signal in the house, but this works so much better. And works whenever I'm on a good WiFi network.

A big part of why I plan to buy a new iPhone next month.

There are payment (and maybe lease) plans for those people who need to buy a phone from Verizon but it is not a requirement.

Again, I view this as a significant step forward.

Oh!!! Thank you! This is encouraging. I'd rather just buy my phone separately than have the monthly charges for the phone added to my bill.
DS uses PagePlus, a MVNO that uses the Verizon network. They offer a 250 minute voice/250 text/10mb data plan for $12/month and a 1500 minute voice/unlimited text/1GB data plan for $30/month. You could keep your phone if you want or buy a new phone.
That sounds pretty good. I don't think I normally exceed the limits of the $12/month plan but I'll check. Thanks!

Some people get overly attached to the grandfathered "unlimited" plans. I have a sister like this.

That seems to be a common issue. I know a couple of folks who are hanging on to their "unlimited" AT&T plans for dear life yet, like your sister, don't use much data.

I'm in the process of switching from Virgin Mobile (Sprint network) to Cricket (AT&T network). I took advantage of some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and got both DW and I new phones (LG G3 for her and Samsung S4 for me) at a bargain price. Combine that with two $100 per line credits for switching to Cricket, plus a reduction of $17/mo in plan costs and we have Christmas presents that pay for themselves. :)

Last edited:
Some people get overly attached to the grandfathered "unlimited" plans. ...

The same thing happens with health insurance.. they have a gold plan that they prize because they don't pay hardly anything if they have an illness but the difference in annual premiums that they pay compared to a bronze plan is about the same as the difference in the deductible between the gold and bronze plans and they have few medical bills because they are healthy but they prize and hold onto the more expensive plan.

Some people get overly attached to the grandfathered "unlimited" plans. I have a sister like this..

This describes my DW perfectly. She never goes over 2 gig per month, but doesn't want to give up the unlimited. I've told her that we will ditch it when I figure out the best replacement strategy . . . and that I will worry about the bill. The second phone on my account is for my youngest son. He's at the opposite end of the spectrum . . . about 20 gig per month. So, I need to keep him on an unlimited plan, at least for the next six months. After that, he's graduating from college and I expect him to get his own account.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the coverage issue. I was kind of leaning toward switching to Sprint, but with the limited coverage outside of urban areas and major highways, I'm now rethinking that decision. DW and I plan to FIRE mid-2016 and will hopefully be doing a good bit of traveling for a while. Don't want to get stuck with phones that don't work on some of those trips.

DW and I plan to FIRE mid-2016 and will hopefully be doing a good bit of traveling for a while. Don't want to get stuck with phones that don't work on some of those trips.

That's one reason I stick with AT&T, besides their good coverage everywhere I travel in the USA. Their Passport program makes it easy to buy a month of roaming at a time when I travel internationally.

DW and I plan to FIRE mid-2016 and will hopefully be doing a good bit of traveling for a while. Don't want to get stuck with phones that don't work on some of those trips.

Take a look at Cricket - it is a non-contract/MVNO carrier owned by AT&T and uses their network. We get unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data a month for $35 each, including taxes. You can up the data to 5GB for another $10 month at anytime, and switch back and forth whenever you want.

Note you have to bring or buy your own phones.

Last edited:
Take a look at Cricket - it is a non-contract/MVNO carrier owned by AT&T and uses their network. We get unlimited talk and text plus 2.5GB of data a month for $35 each, including taxes. You can up the data to 5GB for another $10 month at anytime, and switch back and forth whenever you want.

Note you have to bring or buy your own phones.

Thanks REW. That might work for me.

Take a look at Cricket - it is a non-contract/MVNO carrier owned by AT&T and uses their network. .

Cricket seems to be a decent option if you're here, but apart from Canada and Mexico I can't find anything on their website about roaming in other countries. That's important to me.

Back
Top Bottom