Join Early Retirement Today

Aurora Borealis Video
Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aurora Borealis Video

Sometime ago there was a thread that spoke of this fantastic phenomenom. This is for those who have never witnessed it:

Aurora Borealis timelapse HD - Tromsų 2010 on Vimeo

Use "Wide-screen" mode for best results.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful, Ron.

One of the benefits of living in the far north.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If one can get far away from traffic and city noise you can actually hear the aurora buzz and crackle. About 30 years ago the radar station I worked at was receiving noise off the aurora. One of the support contractors sent their aurora expert up to look at what we were seeing; we discovered the "expert" had never actually seen the aurora. We took him out that evening to see what he had been missing.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
If one can get far away from traffic and city noise you can actually hear the aurora buzz and crackle.
Yeah, the video is a little misleading, actually, the Aurora Borealis doesn't really play that particular music in the background.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, the video is a little misleading, actually, the Aurora Borealis doesn't really play that particular music in the background.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #6

Pretty good show. Thanks, RonBoyd for the reminder.

My memory is of being in the north Atlantic around 72 degrees north latitude near Jan Mayen volcanic Island in the early seventies. On the research ship trying to make radio contact with NY, and hearing absolute silence on the short wave radio receiver. Cranking the RF and audio gain fully up, still nothing but a faint hiss in the headphones. Running tests showed radio receiver and transmitter were working fine, went up on deck to check the antenna.

Saw the most beautiful light show ever. I recall a lot more colors than the video, more purple, violets and reds. It was truly jaw dropping. Lasted a few hours. Forgot all about the radio contact.

The ionized upper atmosphere prevented any short wave radio comms. Later rousted sparky (the ship's radio officer), he was able to make contact in the long wave band around 100 Khz, slow morse code. VLF also worked, but was not interested in contacting submarines.

Had similar experience, many years later, in the northern parts of the Bering sea on a different trip out of St Paul island.

Another one of those memories for grins when I'm too old to do anything else for grins.