Auto service "shop supply charge" last straw

Just remember, you probably have a leak and all the refrigerant is gone (unless a component is shot). If you revive the system (you will know quickly), you can expect it will leak down over time again. But it's worth a try.

We had an old Dodge van (1993?) that had a no cooling and kept the A/C bearable through the summer months with a recharge. I guess we recharged it every Spring for 5 years before we sold the van.

That is my goal, Aja. The AC works fine (to me anyways) when temps are in mid 80s. As it crept into the lower 90s this week, it only cooled at a modest level. I just want to get it working 2 more years before I finally break down and buy a new vehicle. If I can ever get over the emotional trauma of writing the check for the sales tax, that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've only taken our Ford to the dealer once, for "recall" repairs (not a big deal, but nice to have done - lubricating/replacing door locks, which in fact were beginning to stick on our car). The rest of the work we've had done at several local shops. Auto shop service and charges do seem to vary wildly.

An example: The airbag light wouldn't go off, so I left the car at a service station that gets virtually all its business from my employer. They charged $98 to run diagnostics, which led to an estimate of almost $500 to replace the clock spring. We decided to live with the problem for a while.

A couple years later, a couple other problems were showing up, so we took the car to a service station within walking distance of our gym, and asked them to fix everything at once. Same $100 to run diagnostics, resulting in another broken clock spring diagnosis, but the real shocker was the charge to fix the clock spring: A little more than half of the other station's estimate. And the funny thing is, the second shop is in a wealthier area than the first. Maybe the first shop charges more because they figure they have a "captive audience." You just never know.

Amethyst

I end up bringing my car to a Car-X for service. Like most anything else are the pros and cons. A pro is no appointment needed, just stop by. Another is there is no charge for diagnosing a problem. I don't they the place is trying to churn service as I've had times with my previous old car that the place would recommend holding off fixing (such as replacing the A/C) because the car is old where as they could have pushing the replacement. On the con, even though an AAA recommended shop, sometimes the place isn't as competent. I had an oil leak so had the place replace the rusted oil pan. But the leak didn't stop and made me wonder, shouldn't that been discovered earlier?

If there wasn't the subjective element, I suppose everyone would know exactly where to take their cars. But like looking for a good restaurant, there's always a hit or miss element.

Just remember, you probably have a leak and all the refrigerant is gone (unless a component is shot). If you revive the system (you will know quickly), you can expect it will leak down over time again. But it's worth a try.

We had an old Dodge van (1993?) that had a no cooling and kept the A/C bearable through the summer months with a recharge. I guess we recharged it every Spring for 5 years before we sold the van.

Well I was wrong Aja. Ran the testing gauge on it before putting in refrigerant and it was showing red zone which means do not charge. Compressor seems to be making all sorts of noises causing vehicle to idle rough. When I shut off AC it idles just fine. Hmm maybe I should baby the AC this summer and reset my goal of one more year with the car. Don't want to go down the road of major repairs on a 200k car.

Ran the testing gauge on it before putting in refrigerant and it was showing red zone which means do not charge.
Red = "The system already has enough refrigerant"?
Yep, if you can get by for another summer with it as-is, that might be a good option. There doesn't seem to be any inexpensive way to replace a compressor on a car, and I've had less than great luck even when I pay the big bucks (seems there's often further contamination in the system even if I buy a new receiver/dryer, etc).
Maybe a $400 "garage" to keep the sun off? Also keeps the snow off!
plus_large.jpg

Red = "The system already has enough refrigerant"?
Yep, if you can get by for another summer with it as-is, that might be a good option. There doesn't seem to be any inexpensive way to replace a compressor on a car, and I've had less than great luck even when I pay the big bucks (seems there's often further contamination in the system even if I buy a new receiver/dryer, etc).
Maybe a $400 "garage" to keep the sun off? Also keeps the snow off!
plus_large.jpg

Sam, I was just doing further reading and yes they mentioned that "further contamination" stuff. It's really knocking. It's funny how you never hear these noises when driving the vehicle. I have a garage for it and probably can do without much AC. But here is the dumb question of the day. If it goes out, it will not effect the heating system of the vehicle will it?

If it goes out, it will not effect the heating system of the vehicle will it?
Nope, your heater should still work fine. The only "gotcha" would be if the compressor seizes up AND the clutch on it won't disengage, then you'd have to do something. But, that's very unlikely to happen.
BTW, it's a good idea to briefly run the heater every few weeks in the summer. It gets fresh coolant (with it's anti-rust stuff) into the heater core and flushes it out.

Edited to add: It's possible that your present problem is a slipping clutch on the AC compressor, not the compressor itself. That would explain the noise and lack of full cooling, and if the clutch isn't fully disengaging even when the AC system pressure is high, that could explain the laboring during idle running. An AC clutch could be less expensive to fix than an AC compressor, and might be all you need.

Last edited:
Nope, your heater should still work fine. The only "gotcha" would be if the compressor seizes up AND the clutch on it won't disengage, then you'd have to do something. But, that's very unlikely to happen.
BTW, it's a good idea to briefly run the heater every few weeks in the summer. It gets fresh coolant (with it's anti-rust stuff) into the heater core and flushes it out.

Edited to add: It's possible that your present problem is a slipping clutch on the AC compressor, not the compressor itself. That would explain the noise and lack of full cooling, and if the clutch isn't fully disengaging even when the AC system pressure is high, that could explain the laboring during idle running. An AC clutch could be less expensive to fix than an AC compressor, and might be all you need.

When doing the protest with gauge, I had to have it on full cool, and that is where I notice the least cooling effect inside vehicle. I am gonna to replace my serpentine belt next week, so maybe I will have him take a peek at that too. I don't mind a few hundy, but I don't want to go down the road of continually replacing $1000 problems on a vehicle already mad he isn't retired in the junkyard already.

Wow, lots of broadbrushed angst toward car dealers! It seems to me that as with anything in life, there are reliable and trustworthy people, and those that are out to take advantage. Word of mouth from friends and people you trust is usually a good way to find reputable car service (or anything else for that matter). Having said that, auto repair is an area that many people know nothing about and feel vulnerable about, so taking advantage is not uncommon. Sad but true. But there are good dealers and independents out there.

People persist in being people. I haven't met any more shyster mechanics than electricians or doctors or people from any other line of work. I would suggest that, unlike doctors who deal with one kind of body, mechanics deal with all kinds of different patients - from mid engine Fiats to diesel GMC trucks. Even in the same brand the annual and model changes fill multiple volumes - but the mechanic is expected to quickly and correctly diagnose and repair problems at a set "book" rate - and (s)he gets paid that number of hours for the repair. An independent tech may work on a large assortment of makes and years and depends to an extent on knowledge of common problems for various cars. The dealership tech is often dealing with newer rigs for which he may not have an internal data base of common failures and quick corrections - in that respect he's like a fresh new doctor.

The service advisor (who may not be a mechanic or particularly knowledgable) passes the customer complaint to the mechanic, who then diagnoses the cause and effects the correction. The service advisor then gets to translate complaint,cause, and correction back to the customer and weather the unhappiness directed at him or her because "if you'da paid $xx,000 the car shouldn't break".

Me? I fix some stuff, am happy to pay people to do good work, don't go back to people I feel badly about, and drive older cars that have some stuff that I just don't bother fixing because it's not critical to going from A to B.

Last edited:
When doing the protest with gauge, I had to have it on full cool, and that is where I notice the least cooling effect inside vehicle. I am gonna to replace my serpentine belt next week, so maybe I will have him take a peek at that too. I don't mind a few hundy, but I don't want to go down the road of continually replacing $1000 problems on a vehicle already mad he isn't retired in the junkyard already.

A good (honest, if you can find one) A/C shop can quickly tell you if it's the clutch engagement or a bad compressor. But in an old system, it may be at its useful life without replacing other components as Sam mentioned.

My 2002 Dodge truck has no A/C and I am not going to fix it @ 237,000 miles. Tinted widows and fresh air blowing thru the cabin is where it's at! People borrow it less this way, too!

A good (honest, if you can find one) A/C shop can quickly tell you if it's the clutch engagement or a bad compressor. But in an old system, it may be at its useful life without replacing other components as Sam mentioned.

My 2002 Dodge truck has no A/C and I am not going to fix it @ 237,000 miles. Tinted widows and fresh air blowing thru the cabin is where it's at! People borrow it less this way, too!

Maybe I need to toughen back up a bit. Lived in same climate my whole life and the first 2 vehicles I owned and first apartment none of which had A/C. Didn't seem to mind it back then.....

Maybe I need to toughen back up a bit. Lived in same climate my whole life and the first 2 vehicles I owned and first apartment none of which had A/C. Didn't seem to mind it back then.....

Oh, I minded it all right. It was just that there was nothing I could do about it. My first car with A/C was the height of luxury.

Oh, I minded it all right. It was just that there was nothing I could do about it. My first car with A/C was the height of luxury.
Me, too. I stupidly bought a new Ranger pickup with no AC. How I cursed myself, sitting in stopped traffic on a July day. :facepalm:

Me, too. I stupidly bought a new Ranger pickup with no AC. How I cursed myself, sitting in stopped traffic on a July day. :facepalm:

You two aren't helping me convince myself I can toughen up... :). I am going to sparingly use it and try to make it through the summer. If I promise my GF I'm getting a new vehicle next year, maybe she won't mind carrying the load the next few months if it quits...

Just about all new vehicles have A/C now. And the new systems are very good and are designed more for efficiency and steady loads.

Back when I was a young lad in Connecticut, cars did not have A/C back there (at least in CT) and I never missed it. But then again, you really don't need A/C very much in a cooler climate. Down here in the Great Swamp, it's tough without it.

You two aren't helping me convince myself I can toughen up... :). I am going to sparingly use it and try to make it through the summer. If I promise my GF I'm getting a new vehicle next year, maybe she won't mind carrying the load the next few months if it quits...

Back in the day....you could order one of these with your truck:

Now there are more powerful fans for your dashboard. For $20 you can get into one of these:

Maxam® 6" Fan Auto Car Vehicle Dash Dashboard Portable Clip on Oscillating New | eBay

The AC works fine (to me anyways) when temps are in mid 80s. As it crept into the lower 90s this week, it only cooled at a modest level. I just want to get it working 2 more years before I finally break down and buy a new vehicle.

Mulligan, Know this is a common sense thing but the other day my mom was complaining that her a/c was not working up to par. Seems she gave my aunt, who hates a/c a ride, my aunt had closed the vents on the passenger side and my mom didn't notice. The cab wasn't cooling evenly. Did someone move/close your a/c vents? Sometimes even changing the vents from blowing on your face/chest to blowing on your feet makes the upper part of the cab feel hot.

edit--Thought I was responding to the newest post until I saw your later response.

Last edited:
Mulligan, Know this is a common sense thing but the other day my mom was complaining that her a/c was not working up to par. Seems she gave my aunt, who hates a/c a ride, my aunt had closed the vents on the passenger side and my mom didn't notice. The cab wasn't cooling evenly. Did someone move/close your a/c vents? Sometimes even changing the vents from blowing on your face/chest to blowing on your feet makes the upper part of the cab feel hot.

edit--Thought I was responding to the newest post until I saw your later response.

Yes, Split I fiddled with them a few times in hope of a cheap miracle, but no luck. I just have to face the facts that I wrote about a few months ago when I was pondering a need to replace my 200k mileage car. Am I going to put some money into this vehicle and hope more problems do not occur, or do I bite the bullet and get a new vehicle. Ultimately I am delaying the inevitable, but every month I squeeze out of it, the more money I can put in bank.

Back in the day....you could order one of these with your truck:...............

This is all my postal carrier has in his truck. Back in the day at MegaMotors, the USPS ordered minivans for use as postal delivery vehicles. We had to design an idler pulley to replace the AC compressor, as AC was standard on every model. :LOL:

People persist in being people. I haven't met any more shyster mechanics than electricians or doctors or people from any other line of work.

There are bad apples everywhere. And there are good apples. There are some really good mechanics, even dealerships.

All I'm asking for is some up front honesty. I'm not getting it at my dealer anymore so I'm leaving. Simple enough. The shop charge was sprung on me and was my last straw. I guess soon we'll be getting "napkin charges" or "dishwater recycling fees" at my local restaurant. Maybe I shouldn't mention this and give them ideas.

Trying to schedule an appointment with a dealer for fix something which I received on a recall notice. So far, the attempt to set up an appointment hasn't done much for my confidence.

I went online and entered my car contact info yesterday. Got a response that someone will contact me soon. After no contact that's understandable since yesterday was Monday. So I went the the dealer's live chat. A friendly correspondence. The person took down my info, but so far still not confirmation of an appointment.

I think part of the reason why there's a lot of bad feelings about service departments from dealers is there is such a contrast between sales and service. Go to a dealer and look for a car and the dealers hang on you like a cheap suit :LOL:. Go to the dealer and ask for service and it makes you scratch your head wondering do they really want your business :facepalm:

I'm sure there are exceptions. But yet, such a contrast.

Let me guess - you are retired, right? :LOL:

As I was trying to set up the appointment. I said, "My preferred time is 11 am. But my schedule is flexible."

I did enjoy saying the "flexible" part. :D

..........I think part of the reason why there's a lot of bad feelings about service departments from dealers is there is such a contrast between sales and service. Go to a dealer and look for a car and the dealers hang on you like a cheap suit :LOL:. Go to the dealer and ask for service and it makes you scratch your head wondering do they really want your business :facepalm:.............

The irony is that dealers don't make much money at all on new cars. All the profit is in service and used cars.

Back
Top Bottom