Barney Fife (Don Knotts) Dies

I'm really sorry to hear the news. The Barney Fife character is one of those classic comedy characters that will be long remembered. RIP, Mr. Knotts.

A sad day, that bug-eyed quiver of his always made me laugh.

He was funny on three's company, too.

But while I hope to live longer, 81 isn't a terrible run....

The Andy Griffith Show wasn't one of my favorites, but I really enjoyed Don Knott's comedy, especially alongside Tim Conway in The Apple Dumpling Gang. (I was a kid.)

(edited: spelling)

I recall him most fondly as the "nervous guy" on the street on the Steve Allen show waaaaay back in the 50s or 60s. I always liked Steve Allen better than Ed Sullivan on Sinday night. Except when Ed had on the Beatles or the Kinks, or the Stones. For the younger set: we only had 2 0r 3 channels to choose from back in the day.

Allen:"Are you nervous?"

Knotts: "Noop" (but obviously a bundle of nerves) (you had to be there)

Even though I have lived all my adult life in the Big Apple, I would look forward to coming home to relax in front of the tube to watch the Andy Griffith show primarily because of Barney (Don) and of course our Aunt Bea. Maybe it helped balance out my hectic city life.

I will miss you, Barney "level headed" Fife. :'(

MJ

He was a great comedian.
At work we have pictures upon the wall of Andy and Barney, Thelma Lou, Otis, Elly the pharmacist, and Helen Krump. and Floyd the barber.
There are still small towns in SC like Mayberry but they are mostly poor, underserviced, and the kids have to leave to find jobs.
Remember how the series started? Danny Thomas (Marlo's father) was an entertainer at a supper club in NY city when he got a gig at a club in Miami so he and wife Marjorie Lord headed south to take the job. He was cited for speeding in Mayberry and a very young Andy Griffith was the citing officer. After demanding to see the Justice of the Peace, Andy took him to the office and got out his JP sign for the desk and became the JP. And thus the Andy Griffith show was born circa 1959 or 60.

Gpax7 said:
Remember how the series started? Danny Thomas (Marlo's father) was an entertainer at a supper club in NY city when he got a gig at a club in Miami so he and wife Marjorie Lord headed south to take the job. He was cited for speeding in Mayberry and a very young Andy Griffith was the citing officer. After demanding to see the Justice of the Peace, Andy took him to the office and got out his JP sign for the desk and became the JP. And thus the Andy Griffith show was born circa 1959 or 60.

I never saw that episode but that appeared to be theme for a number of shows.

It's also worth noting that Darren McGavin, of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" and "A Christmas Story" also passed on Saturday.

I love Barney and Gomer. I can't wait to back to NC. Its on TV 2-3/day there.

Citizen's arayest!!! Citizen's arayest!!! :LOL:

BUM said:
I love Barney and Gomer. I can't wait to back to NC. Its on TV 2-3/day there.

Citizen's arayest!!! Citizen's arayest!!! :LOL:

shaame shaame shaame. chazam. ;)

Back
Top Bottom