Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The Ranger broke MLB records last year for most players used in a season and most pitchers used in a season. All due to unbelievable amount of injuries. So 2015 starts with renewed optimism....and then Yu Darvish pitches one inning and is out for the year. Seriously?
I kind of wonder if they knew this last season and let it play out in Spring training, as they didn't want to kill ticket sales

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
Enjoy the Rockies, if only they could get it together.

However, having grown up with The Big Red Machine in the 1970's nothing will ever compare to them.

I grew up on the Dodger side of the Big Red Machine, it was a blast to go to the stadium (I had season seats in LA) and watch these two play!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This may be slightly old news...but...today I read news stories, saw photos and watched a few video clips of Will Farrell's Spring Training "Invasion".

He busted his butt to get to 5 games in 1 day, played (badly) 9 positions on 10 teams, and in the process raised a huge amount of money for charity. All with permission and in complete accordance with the MLB, the teams, and the umpires association. I bet that his muscles will ache for weeks.

Do a Google search on "Will Farrell Spring Training 2015" and enjoy the laughter and inter-team comraderie that an "outsider" brought to the fields. His stint as 3rd base coach with cue cards for the Cubs is absolutely hilarious.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #44

That's funny (Ferrell)! Good windup for the real games. I was reminded of Bill Murray's hilarious times announcing ball games

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I caved.

This is the year for the Cubbies.

Quote:
The Cubs are 6-1 to win the World Series at the MGM. Only the Washington Nationals, at 5-1, have better odds. The number of bets on the Cubs more than doubles any other team in the MGM's World Series futures pool.
Bettors putting heavy cash on Chicago Cubs in Las Vegas
Old 04-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #46

It's almost here...

One of my favorite clips from one of my favorite baseball movies. Burt Lancaster as Archie "Moonlight" Graham:

Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #47

After breaking every MLB record for injuries in a season last year, the Rangers are having De Ja Vu all over again.

Best pitcher...Darvish...out for the year after one spring training inning
2nd best pitcher...Martin Perez...not recovered from last yrs surgery
3rd best pitcher...Derek Holland...threw 9 pitches yesterday and is now out for a month
Right fielder...Shin Soo Choo...left yesterdays game with back spasms
Left fielder...Ryan Rua...left yesterdays game with sprained ankle..going to DL

Hard to believe
Old 04-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a Giants fan and it has been super fun for us these last 5 years. I think this is going to be rebuilding year for our team though. Our bullpen is thin. Bumgarner cannot pitch every game. I predict that we will take what we can get this year and then perhaps make a run for it again in 2016. Personally, I am hoping to see the Royals take it all this year. They are a classy, young, exciting team.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #49

Quote:
After breaking every MLB record for injuries in a season last year, the Rangers are having De Ja Vu all over again.

Best pitcher...Darvish...out for the year after one spring training inning
2nd best pitcher...Martin Perez...not recovered from last yrs surgery
3rd best pitcher...Derek Holland...threw 9 pitches yesterday and is now out for a month
Right fielder...Shin Soo Choo...left yesterdays game with back spasms
Left fielder...Ryan Rua...left yesterdays game with sprained ankle..going to DL

Hard to believe
Not hard to believe when you have Nolan's curse hanging over you. I would like to see Daniels out next.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #50

Whats wrong with Daniels? The Rangers went from a laughing stock to a contender each of the last 5 or so yrs until the injuries hit them hard. He also built one of the top 2-3 farm systems in baseball.

I'd like to know the behinds the scenes story about Nolan. Losing him was really bad.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #51

Quote:
Whats wrong with Daniels? The Rangers went from a laughing stock to a contender each of the last 5 or so yrs until the injuries hit them hard. He also built one of the top 2-3 farm systems in baseball.

I'd like to know the behinds the scenes story about Nolan. Losing him was really bad.
Personally, I think he played a role in Nolan's departure. Also, Daniels inherited a pretty good farm system and made quite a few poor trades and signings along the way and depleted an otherwise top minor league organization.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #52

I disagree about Daniels performance but what I really hate about baseball is that you can never really tell how the GM is doing because there is no salary cap. He can make 10 bad moves but as long as the team is willing to spend more money all the bad moves can be overcome. Just keep dumping players and sign new ones. See the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers...ect. Make 10 bad draft picks or free agent signings in football and you will stink for years.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #53

I may be too harsh, but his trade record is maybe 50/50 good and bad. I didn't like the way he treated Michael Young and I get the impression, most of the players don't like him either.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Arlington, NR being one of the few exceptions, is pitcher's purgatory. Ruined arms (remember Tom House?), failing to meet expectations, turning .210 hitting pinch hitter's into Reggie Jackson...

Watched Nolan pitch quite a bit when he was a Ranger. Although he could stink up the place on occasion, when he had the curve and change working he was fun to watch!

Not even sure who's on the Rangers anymore...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I may be too harsh, but his trade record is maybe 50/50 good and bad. I didn't like the way he treated Michael Young and I get the impression, most of the players don't like him either.
Yeah, I wouldn't vote for Daniels for GM of the year. He has a mixed record for sure. They will be hard pressed to make any noise this year with their best 3 pitchers hurt, but you cant blame that on Daniels.

I do remember Tom House and his stupid football throwing routine for pitchers. He had to be the worst pitching coach in history.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
I'm a Giants fan and it has been super fun for us these last 5 years. I think this is going to be rebuilding year for our team though. Our bullpen is thin. Bumgarner cannot pitch every game. I predict that we will take what we can get this year and then perhaps make a run for it again in 2016. Personally, I am hoping to see the Royals take it all this year. They are a classy, young, exciting team.
TimSF,
Thanks as a semi Royals fan the entire area would be happy never seeing Bumgarner pitch too much.
Great pitcher but even he can't do an entire season alone. Maybe a series!
Ticket prices are up in KC this year based on last years awakening of semi fans.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #57

Hold on to your caps, you Wobblies: the Cubs and Red Sox lead their divisions today.

Better look fast, it's only April 14.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Hold on to your caps, you Wobblies: the Cubs and Red Sox lead their divisions today.

Go Cubs go, only four months left to move into last place!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #59

Unfortunately I live near a city that has no MLB team--Philadelphia.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

The Cubbies are for real this year!... I hope

Running on Soler Power, as in Jorge.

Say hey, baseball: Jorge Soler and Mookie Betts showcased MLB's future - SBNation.com