Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Look up top on the signature line, it will say "VINE".
I just looked at many Amazon product reviews, and I am not finding even a single review that is marked with "VINE". Can you give us one product that has a VINE review, so that we can see how these reviews are marked? Thanks.

RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Wasn't that how The Beatles started with the teenage girls screaming during their concerts. A few "plants" in the audience and then the craze grew like wildflower.
I've read just about everything about the Beatles over the years, and I've never heard this. Got any documentation?

Edit: Don't worry about the documentation. I've googled a dozen or so stories and they all source back to Dr. John Coleman, who is still insisting Paul McCartney died and was replaced by Phil Ackrill and that some German philosopher wrote all their lyrics and music. I'm sticking with the mass hysteria theory.

As far as reviews, I love them. They've paid off immensely, although more for hotels than products. But if there are hundreds of reviews on a product, I think you can get a pretty good feel for it, even if a few of them are bought and paid for. I particularly read the negative reviews. Often people are complaining about shipping or customer service, which indicates that the product is good assuming it arrives in one piece. And again, with hundreds of reviews, if 85% are 5s and 4s, you've got a pretty good idea about the product. I don't live by them, but I am influenced by them.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The last thing we bought from amazon was a scale. The reviewer only stated at the end that "I was supplied a sample of the product for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review."

It wasn't marked as Vine so it was probably a freebie outside that system. Yet another thing to watch out for.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Be careful with online reviews
Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Be careful with online reviews

Yesterday I was looking for hand sanitizing wipes on Amazon and came across a highly rated product I had never heard of before (114 out of 116 reviewers gave it a 5-star rating). Many of the reviewers, however, mentioned that they had received the product for free "in exchange for an honest review".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I just looked at many Amazon product reviews, and I am not finding even a single review that is marked with "VINE". Can you give us one product that has a VINE review, so that we can see how these reviews are marked? Thanks.
Take a look at this item, it comes up as the first review for me (5 star, most helpful and positive): - OXO Good Grips Wiper Blade Squeegee -

Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote