Beer drinkers, what do you like?

brewer12345 said:
Funny you should say that.  I haven't had time in a few years to be active (kids and all), but I happen to be a certified, National-ranked beer judge.  I am not making this up, as Dave Barry would say.  Supporting evidence: www.bjcp.org  I actually had to take a multi-hour written exam.
So would you favor an overlooked highly-discounted deep-value beer, a popular high-growth yet volatile beer, or a stodgy large-cap blue-chip brew?

Or would you invest in your own private offerings?

When traveling, I usually go to a local microbrewery/brew-pub type of place and try their stuff. Most I have tried usually had an outstanding brew or two.

Of the bottled beer I occasionally buy - the most recent really good one was Spaten Optimator. I had forgotten how wonderful that beer is.

I really like double bocks. My husband likes stouts and porters.

My favorite bottled beer of all time - "Wee Heavy" by Bellhaven Brewery in Scotland. I only occasionally see it on the shelf.

We don't like yellow (golden) stuff or wheat beer......

Audrey

Nords said:
So would you favor an overlooked highly-discounted deep-value beer, a popular high-growth yet volatile beer, or a stodgy large-cap blue-chip brew?

Or would you invest in your own private offerings?

Mostly private stock. Where else can you get a pint of beer fresher and at least as well made as most brewpub offerings for 30 cents?

If I buy beer, there are lots of things Ilike, but if I had to pick just a few, I think highly of Unibroue's stuff (Quebecois brewery) and almost anything Dogfish Head makes is great.

DOG52 said:
Just thought it would be interesting to hear what beers you enjoy. Burp.............. :-[

The one paid by someone else :LOL:

Nords said:
I should think Brewer would prefer the beer shippers...Freightliner, Mercedes... ;)

Fat Tire amber ale brewed and bottled by New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO USA

As a bud man I always thought beer was beer until I tried this. I'm willing to pay $7.99 a six pack but some of the Costcos offer a case in the low $20's.

When I was with family in Jamica my Aunt was buying so much jewelery that when someone mentioned leaving to get a drink we were all quickly served ice cold Red Stripes. The store owner apologized about the beer so much I assumed it was the local cheap beer. It was funny to see 6-8 people walking around sipping beers in a jewelery store. It was cold and good!

I am a pilsner fan. Favorites are:

Grolosh
Warsteiner
Becks
Ching tao
Sapporo

Of course none of the above are in the fridge.....yet.

Consumer Reports rated Natural Light as one of the best, and I usually drink that (drinking one right this very second, in fact).  Safeway often has specials of that for $11.99 for 30 cans, which is the best beer deal I've seen anywhere.

NatLight_115.gif

When traveling, I like to check out the local microbrews, too. At home, I like Molson and Sam Adams and Blue Moon on draft.

1st choice:  free
2nd choice:  cold

...But you wanted the brand!

I very much like Pilsner Urquel from the Czech Republic.  Very much!  Top choice.

After that, Grolsch from Holland and Sam Adams lager.

In Canada, I like Keith's better than most.  Molson Canadian after that because I love it that they are Coors now.  (Remember the "I am a Canadian!" TV ads?   :LOL:  )

I like Pacifico for a Mexican beer.  It always reminds me of a vacation in Mazatlan and it is an OK beer, too.  In-country, I like Indio (partly because it is in-your-face aboriginal in a country that looks down on indians, but it also tastes good).

In Denmark, Tuborg green or Faxe ("Brewers to the Danish people!"--it tickles my Mark Twain-style anti-monarchist feelings, which make me feel guilty because I have a fondness for some of the Danish monarchs).

I enjoy both beer and politics. :D

Gypsy

Best beer? Other than the "Lites" there was hardly a beer anywhere in the world I didn't like. Depends on the ambience. Silvertop tasted just great in the company of a cute coed back in PA college in the 60's. Although my DW is pretty cute also, I would gag on it today. Iced Corona on boat docked at a Southern marina can't be beat. A local microbrew at a steakhouse is the ticket, Ichiban at a Japanese steakhouse etc. Heck, there is even a time and place for "cherry beer" (Dorr County, WI in the Fall to wit).

My daily swill is Amberboch as I think it is the best value if you really like to taste beer. I treat myself to Sam Adams from time to time.

Sam Adams my basic favorite. I like beers with some flavor, "red" ales and the like, but Guinness and Murphy's can't be beat in the wintertime.

For those with similar tastes, check out Boddington's ale and Old Speckled Hen. Yum!

Beer isn't a big seller here; we got Moretti and Nastro Azzurro plus some imports like Heineken & Becks. Guinness in the aerator cans is sometimes seen, but light lagers are 99% of the market.

Also my new thing is to never drink from a can or bottle, since that way I miss the aroma aspect. I also make sure to pour such that I get a generous head. (behave!)

Also, since retired, I try to almost always have a beer with lunch.

Forgot to mention Peroni - great Italian beer. This is a topic close to my heart :-*

sounds like there's a back story there, Donzo... ;)

I'll give Peroni a try..

Not a big beer drinker, but I do really like Longtrail Ale, Blackberry Wheat...brewed right here in NE in the fine state of VT.. 8)

Adventuregirl

Great Western Brewing Company! 

A national brewer decided close to 20 years ago that they just couldn't make a buck brewing out in the Canadian prairies..so decided to close down the brewery....until the employees decided to buy them out and go on to build a canning plant (that previous owners said would be impossible to do without losing gads of money) and brew beers that have won more worldwide awards than any other brewery I know of.....

so...needless to say it's almost the only beer I drink anymore....and their Homey Wheat is fantastic.....

Only problem is that their product doesn't seem to be available outside of western Canada....so if you're travelling out here make sure to try "anything by Great Western Brewery" !!

And here's a peek at a fridge full of their award winning brews to make your mouth water!!

http://www.greatwesternbrewing.com/products.html

I'm drinking something from Lithuania....Ekstra Castle Ale...5.5% alcohol..is that higher than the norm?...Est. 1665. I like it. Thank you Trader Joes...

....I like beer, It makes me a jolly good fellow. Champagne costs too much, Whiskeys too rough, Vodka puts my mouth in gear. I like beer.......
....I drink Bud Light out of bottles when I am hot and tired. My favorite imports are Dos Equuis with Mexican food and Sapporo or Kirin with sushi.
jc

DOUGH... the stuff I buy beer with.
RAY..... the guy I buy beer from
ME...... the guy I buy beer for
FA..... a long way to get beer
SO...... I'll think I'll have a beer
LA...... la la la la la la [sound drunk]
TEA..... phfft, no thanks, I'll have a beer
And that will bring us back to DOUGH...

Al,
....I played trombone all through middle and high school and my first year of college. If we were to form a duet I would leave the trombone playing to you. At my very best I was awful but I played very loud to cover it up. I will do the singing. A couple drinks and I sound great. Noone has told me that but I know it must be so.
jc

I like Hefeweizen beers- the unfiltered wheat beer. I have mine with a slice of lemon. Almost any brand of Hefe will do, but I like Pyramid, Sam Adams and a few others whose names slip my mind. I don't drink much beer these days, but when I do, I go for quality over quantity.

Just in from Seattle.
Black Butte Porter is fantastic.
Sierra Nevada Pale ale is the good old standby.
Red Hook ESB has a great flavor.
For sipping, try a good Grand Cru or a barley wine.

Back
Top Bottom