So disappointed with my Honda experience

Poopycat

Recycles dryer sheets
Just a long rant… feeling fed up and ignored…

I bought a 2017 CRV after a life of buying domestic cars because everyone raved about Honda quality and reliability. It started off all right, although I have had two dead batteries and what seems to be tires that don’t last very long. I’m on my second set of tires and have to replace them again shortly when I’m just at the 90K mileage mark. I had similar quality (i.e. good brand) tires last 60 to 70 thousand miles on previous vehicles. But these types of things aren’t something I’ll blame Honda for (although the dead battery thing is weird, having had only one dead battery on a previous car, where it died in the dead of winter when it was below zero).

Anyway, I started getting these warning lights popping up upon ignition, all at once: hill assist problem, parking brake problem, road mitigation system problem, etc. I was obviously worried the first time it happened and made an appointment for service but then it stopped. It would happen occasionally then go away so I figured it was probably a sensor thing but once it stayed on for a prolonged period of time I took it in again. The service rep claimed it was a climate control sensor, they claimed to fix it, and within a week lights were coming on again. I made an appointment for today to get it looked at again.

Well, two nights ago, the accelerator stopped working. I basically coasted to the service garage with my blinkers on and left the car there (it was late so the garage was closed). I called yesterday and the service tech said they’d look at it. I got a call later on and the guy said they really did know the problem this time, it’s the fuel injectors and gave a quote of $1,800. Ok. I guess. But the parts are on back order and there’s no timetable for when they will receive parts. He offered me a courtesy vehicle, fortunately, and said he’d call when the current customer dropped it off that day and when it was clean. Ok, good.

I didn’t hear from him and it was getting late so I called to see if I could just come by in the morning. The service guy was kind of rude and short with me. He said that he told me he’d call when it was ready but the customer still hadn’t returned it yet. So yes, tomorrow is fine. I asked if I should wait for his call and he said yes, and if the lady hadn’t brought the car back by then he would call her. He said it in a way that made it sound like I was inconveniencing him.

Now it’s 1:00 my time. There have been no calls. I’m stuck at home with dwindling food supplies and pre-Christmas errands to run. Am I out of line for thinking that good customer service would, at the very least, involve calling me to give me an update on either (1) estimated delivery time for the parts or (2) an update on the availability of a courtesy vehicle, or (3) both? I don’t even know how to plan my day or my weekend.

I’m also just disappointed in the Honda experience. Yes, it’s the first major problem, but it’s a pretty major problem. I have only had one problem this big in all of my previous cars. So many people told me that their Hondas ran forever with zero problems. I just feel disappointed. And I don’t feel like I can trust the car anymore. I hadn’t anticipated buying another car for at least five years but I drive a lot and need reliable transportation so I’m wondering if I should just buy something else now. But I can’t even go out and test drive. And I’m hesitant to check out other cars at this dealership, or even with Honda.

I’m going to call the service tech now and just deal with his potentially short behavior with me because I’m feeling so antsy that I can think of little else.

I'm surprised all the fuel injectors are diagnosed as the problem. That's something that rarely fails, especially all of them? Usually, it's related to the electronics that drive the individual injector pulse. The fuel injector itself, is a mechanical device.

I'm surprised all the fuel injectors are diagnosed as the problem. That's something that rarely fails, especially all of them? Usually, it's related to the electronics that drive the individual injector pulse. The fuel injector itself, is a mechanical device.

I know very little about cars, but I did a search and it appears that this problem I’m having is a pretty common one for 2017+ CRV’s. And fuel injector was cited by some as the problem. But I can imagine paying a small fortune just to have the problem remain. I don’t have confidence that technicians know what to do when they see this issue pop up.

I have to agree with aja8888. Fuel injectors rarely fail as early as 90,000 miles and you'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning than having all fuel injectors fail at exactly the same time.

Chances are they will replace all the fuel injectors for $1800 then tell you more parts need replacing at more additional cost.

If I was diagnosing this with the car in front of me, I would start by checking to see if this is related to the other warning lights you experienced from time to time. It sounds like some sensor or combination of sensor readings are telling the computer that your brakes are on. When the brakes are on, the accelerator is deactivated which sounds like the symptom you experienced.

Most automakers started deactivating the throttle when the brakes are applied shortly after the infamous Toyota unintended acceleration issues somewhere around the 2009 - 2010 timeframe.

With that said, added to the rudeness of the service clerk, I'd be inclined to have it towed elsewhere for service.

Last edited:
Was this a new or used 2017 that you bought ?

The service person certainly is being rude.

On my Toyota Van, I got 50K out of my first set of tires (8 yrs), maybe tires are softer and last less than the old days ?

With that said, added to the rudeness of the service clerk, I'd be inclined to have it towed elsewhere for service.

Yep, I'll second that. You might have some towing service coverage on your auto insurance to lessen the cost.

They are likely misdiagnosing the problem. Fuel injector problems would not light up your safety assist circuit warning lights--hill park assist, lane departure system, parking brake, etc. Four injectors going out simultaneously? Preposterous.

They should be able to hook up their diagnostic equipment and get fault codes and pinpoint exactly what is wrong.

They are not doing what they said they would do--they did not call you about the loaner car. They say the parts are on backorder. I would not expect the parts to be into the dealer before Christmas. They make it sound like they only have one courtesy car. They are rude to you.

Haul your car out of there and bring it to another Honda dealer. Call them beforehand and set up a courtesy car.

I don't think I ever got a promised return call from anyone in the business field, and I mean that literally. Even when it would be in their interest. So, to me it's not surprising that OP didn't get a call. And, his rudeness is also commonplace - when they promise a call, don't and you call them to follow up invariably they get nasty because you had the audacity to remind them of their failure to call. As others said, I'd pull the car to another place.

Maybe totally unrelated, but this article today caught my attention as a defect that might cause the symptoms your Honda is experiencing:

More than 2.5 million Honda and Acura vehicles are recalled for a fuel pump defect

According to documents published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the fuel pump impeller used for in 2017-2020 Acura and Honda vehicles was improperly molded. This results in low-density impellers, which "can deform and interfere with the fuel pump body" over time, regulators said, leading to an inoperative fuel pump.

If the fuel pump module doesn't work, the car's engine may not start or can stall while driving,...

The way Poopy described the problem, the car didn't stall, it was still idling. The problem was the accelerator was inoperative.

Yep, I'll second that. You might have some towing service coverage on your auto insurance to lessen the cost.

They are likely misdiagnosing the problem. Fuel injector problems would not light up your safety assist circuit warning lights--hill park assist, lane departure system, parking brake, etc. Four injectors going out simultaneously? Preposterous.

They should be able to hook up their diagnostic equipment and get fault codes and pinpoint exactly what is wrong.

They are not doing what they said they would do--they did not call you about the loaner car. They say the parts are on backorder. I would not expect the parts to be into the dealer before Christmas. They make it sound like they only have one courtesy car. They are rude to you.

Haul your car out of there and bring it to another Honda dealer. Call them beforehand and set up a courtesy car.

There are quite a few people having the same issue I’m having and it apparently is related to a defective fuel injector. The complaints are on multiple car Internet forums. Sounds like Honda has a problem that it doesn’t want to address. I do have a loaner car coming within the next half hour but I’m not done with things. I may not be successful but I will request a refund for the original “repair” and will escalate to Honda America if necessary. I doubt that taking it to another dealership will help. I expect the same runaround.

No more Hondas for me in the future. I guess I’ll have to try my luck with Toyota or maybe just go back to domestic. If I get my loaner, I may just go shopping this weekend and try to sell the Honda if and when it ever gets fixed.

The best Honda is simple 4 cilinder (No Turbo, No Hybrid, no low profile tires) and mass produced model.

Honda Civic LX comes to my mind. I have owned them for 30 years and they were all superb vehicles. I would expect same/better reliability with boring Toyota Corolla ;). Those cars are not only very reliable they are also cheap to maintain. They have cheap long lasting tires. They are bulletproof IMO and they are quite fun to drive.

I owned one Accord and it had problems.

Last edited:
My wife is still in love with her 2007 Honda Accord. We bought it new and it's only got 97,000 mile on it. Barely broken in. Over the years I've had to do some minor repairs on it but that's all. I asked her a couple of weeks ago if she was ready for a new car in 2024. She loudly said "NO, I love my car. I'm driving it until it's 20 years old or until the tires fall off!"

You know why I buy Honda Civic LX? Not because I cannot buy 100k car. Because it is fantastic value for a money. I will always buy Honda Civic LX.

My wife also loves 2012 Civic LX. :) More than 2023 model which is our second car.

My wife is still in love with her 2007 Honda Accord. We bought it new and it's only got 97,000 mile on it. Barely broken in. Over the years I've had to do some minor repairs on it but that's all. I asked her a couple of weeks ago if she was ready for a new car in 2024. She loudly said "NO, I love my car. I'm driving it until it's 20 years old or until the tires fall off!"

You know why I buy Honda Civic LX? Not because I cannot buy 100k car. Because it is fantastic value for a money. I will always buy Honda Civic LX.

My wife also loves 2012 Civic LX. :) More than 2023 model which is our second car.

I bought a new Honda Civic DX hatchback in June of 1992, and drove it until December of 2008.

I bought a new 2009 Honda Fit Sport in December of 2008, and I'm still driving it. It's in pristine condition and runs like a top.

The only reason I traded in the 1992 hatchback for the Fit was because the hatchback only had one airbag (driver). I was caring for my cousin's 1-year-old child all day every Saturday, and there was no way I was driving her around in that car - that cargo was way too precious to trust to a car without multiple airbags. :)

If not for that decision, I might still be driving the 1992 car. My aunt and uncle drove a Honda Civic for 25+ years, and only gave it up when they moved to their CCRC. They no longer needed two cars, so they kept the Accord and gave up the Civic.

I have never had any work done at the Honda dealer unless it was covered by warranty, or fell under a recall. Even then they have always tried to "upsell" me into unnecessary work.

I always take it to an independent auto shop that has been in business for 45 years. I trust these guys completely. They never recommend work that doesn't need to be done. Everyone I know goes there, and has the same experience. They have a well-deserved sterling reputation.

OP, I recommend finding an independent shop with a good reputation. In addition to failing to fix the car so far, the dealer is treating you shabbily. I wouldn't give them any more of your business. Just my two cents.

I think you may be going overboard not trusting the car, but only you know how you feel.

If you are feeling this way, then why even let Honda repair it? Save the $1800 and put it towards a new car.

If you do still want to have it repaired and Honda is not treating you right, just have the car towed to another repair facility - maybe Pep Boys or some other shop that is in your area. If you have towing coverage through AAA, your insurance, or other, it shouldn't cost you much. If not, call 1-800-PEP-BOYS and they'll tow it up to 10 miles to the nearest Pep Boys for $79.

https://www.pepboys.com/towing-service

Pep Boys or other service facility will likely do the repair for less than Honda and since they likely won't use Honda original parts, there won't be any backorder or delay to do the repair - could be done in a day or two and so you wouldn't need a courtesy loaner vehicle in the interim.

Anyhow, it's an alternative if Honda continues to give you difficulty.

Lots of issues but it sounds like only one is really Honda....

Most of the new cars I have had tires wore out in 30K miles or less... my current one had 'bad' tires at 18K (bad being what Discount Tire said was bad... still had tread)... I complained to the tire company and got new ones 50% off...

Batteries can come and go... I had one car that ate batteries and one that had one for 8 years..

I have a Honda Pilot and the part that crapped out on me what the moon roof... jumped the track, which messed it up.. cost me $1800 to fix the dang thing... Just dropped $3K on it for timing belt, spark plugs etc... then the front wheel bearing went out...

But, my wife loves the car so we will keep it...

Assuming your service tech is a honda dealer?

Here's what I'd do. It's the holiday. If you don't have a loaner by now, Go rent a car for the long weekend and sleep on the issue. Treat yourself. I mean ask for reimbursement but if you can't get it, at least you're not stuck. Maybe sleep on the $1800 fix if you haven't committed. I'd probably fix it and spend January looking for a new car if I really felt I was over it.

You car is 6-7 years old so not crazy to dump it and go with another if you are over it.

Every OEM has their duds. You need to research the model and year, and at some point pay your money and take your chances.

I had a 2008 Accord V6 that was really nice. Until it decided to not run worth crap and spent a month+ at the dealer. Finally it got fixed for almost $1000, but I'm not sure they knew what the problem was. I did not trust it and sold it within a year. My Kia Soul has been great.

At 90K miles and with so many unsolved issues, I would dump it and get a new car.

Here's my take, as an old shade tree mechanic-

Don't let the shop do any work unless they can show how they diagnosed the fuel injectors as all failing. Injectors don't all just fail at once. A single injector that fails will make the engine run rough, and probably will throw a code. In your case, if your engine idles, but fails under load, it's possibly a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Both of these can be tested without replacing them. Whatever the problem is, a good mechanic should have a methodic diagnosis, and explain the steps they took. I have found that so many shops these days hire undertrained/underpaid technicians, who don't know how to properly diagnose problems. They simply replace parts, until they find the problem. That way the shop makes more money. Maybe they will even convince you to sell your car to them for cheap, when you could have repaired it for a small amount of money. Find a competent shop.

Yes, Find a competent shop that does not just throw parts at it.

Too bad this is a lot easier said than done.

I think you may be going overboard not trusting the car, but only you know how you feel.

If you are feeling this way, then why even let Honda repair it? Save the $1800 and put it towards a new car.

If you do still want to have it repaired and Honda is not treating you right, just have the car towed to another repair facility - maybe Pep Boys or some other shop that is in your area. If you have towing coverage through AAA, your insurance, or other, it shouldn't cost you much. If not, call 1-800-PEP-BOYS and they'll tow it up to 10 miles to the nearest Pep Boys for $79.

https://www.pepboys.com/towing-service

Pep Boys or other service facility will likely do the repair for less than Honda and since they likely won't use Honda original parts, there won't be any backorder or delay to do the repair - could be done in a day or two and so you wouldn't need a courtesy loaner vehicle in the interim.

Anyhow, it's an alternative if Honda continues to give you difficulty.

I'd stay far away from Pep Boys. The chances of them properly diagnosing it is somewhere between slim to none. Nothing but horror stories from there. I'll save the stories for another time.

Last edited:
Hey PCat,

Does it have the 1.5 L turbo engine or the 2.4 naturally aspirated engine?

The most likely failure based on the reported symptoms seem to be different for each engine.

Last edited:
Batteries can come and go... I had one car that ate batteries and one that had one for 8 years.
There are multiple power draws with the ignition off in modern cars. That and ignition start-stop at traffic lights mean that batteries are quite short lived now.

Any car battery approaching four years is on borrowed time.

Hey PCat,

Does it have the 1.5 L turbo engine or the 2.4 naturally aspirated engine?

The most likely failure based on the reported symptoms seem to be different for each engine.

That 1.5 turbo is a dud. Fueling the oil, tiny little engine. My wife’s 2.4 Vtec on our 2007 CRV runs like an absolute top. 230,000 w/AWD and she purrs.

Back
Top Bottom