Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Google has saved me $$$$. Somebody out there wants to show you how they fixed it.
Trust, but VERIFY. There are lots of YouTube 'How-To" videos with questionable or even dangerous procedures. I never try any repair without checking 2 (pref more) trusted sources with very similar instructions.

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #22
And ALWAYS check the price of repair parts before deciding to fix cheap stuff. Until DW questioned my sanity, I almost spent $50 + s/h for engine parts kit to repair a 5-yr old $65 entry-level string trimmer

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Computer won't start with Ethernet plugged in. Google that and enjoy.
- check bios to see if network image is first boot device
- disable APE
- move the NIC to another slot
- disable IRQ in the bios
No guarantees, but likely it is one of those. Sometimes a combination of mishap and misconfiguration has occurred.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I turned on the power and everything came back on... including the VOIP modem... showed connected. Later this AM, neighbor came to the house... "Did you know your phone was not working?"... DUH! no. Simple solution. We have GFI's on all kitchen outlets. The only one that tripped was the one to the phone. Didn't even notice.
I made sure that the VOIP vendor I contracted with had a 'fail-over' feature. If someone calls us, and there is no response from our 'box', I have it set to call my cell phone. Not a 100% solution for us, since my cell phone is OFF most of the time, but I make sure to turn my cell on in bad weather, or anytime my internet might be acting up, or even if we are expecting an important call.

Your provider probably has this feature as well, check with them.

And I can't help myself, but it is simply WH, not HWH. You don't need to heat Hot Water!.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #25
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Yeah, okay on my old HWH... the new one was installed by Joe Stupid, who placed it 1/2" from the wall, with the glassed in flame viewer only visible with a mirror... Getting to the pilot means a complete uninstsll, reinstall... Yeah, Imagine that... @ $95 an hour on weekdays.

BTW... does anyone else have trouble trying to flush the water out, because the drain faucet is too close to the floor to attach a drain hose? Solution?
One thing the plumber did when I last replaced the water heater, was to bring a pump to drain the tank. That let the hose get outside the house. It looks like such pumps run from $50 on up.

meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote