Beginning of the end for the (Auto) "Stick" Shifter?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I guess it was going to happen eventually, and I've seen a few somewhat token shifters lately (e.g. Prius), but the new car DW is looking at (with an automatic trans) won't have a "shifter" at all - just buttons. I guess it's no big deal with an automatic trans, just very different.

2018-Honda-Accord-center-console.jpg

Back in the early 70's a friend of mines' father drove a car that had the those push buttons on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. Have no idea what the car was.

Mike

Back in the early 70's a friend of mines' father drove a car that had the those push buttons on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. Have no idea what the car was.

Mike
You're right! Now that you mention it, I'd forgotten. Plymouth, Rambler and some others tried to eliminate sticks many years ago too. And I'm sure several have gone that route again recently, I just hadn't noticed until DW started looking at new cars again.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...678862818865CC4883079C1CFF85ED4C0&FORM=IDBQDM

Last edited:
I guess it was going to happen eventually, and I've seen a few somewhat token shifters lately (e.g. Prius), but the new car DW is looking at (with an automatic trans) won't have a "shifter" at all - just buttons. I guess it's no big deal with an automatic trans, just very different.

2018-Honda-Accord-center-console.jpg

I don't think I'd like that at all. The "shifter" ("on the tree" or on the center hump) is easy to find (no groping around), requires no looking, and provides a kinesthetic cue as to what you've selected.

Chysler's PowerFlite transmission was pushbutton controlled starting in 1956.

I think I'd like it. That big old lever just gets in the way. In many cars, I can't really tell from the 'stick' what position I'm in anyway - they provide an indicator on the dash. Which I'm not a big fan of - the dash is sort of 'dis-associated' with the stick position, I prefer to have the PRNDL indicator where the stick is. Often a red line to mark where you are.

A button, with indicator would be fine for me.

-ERD50

I'd be glad if they got rid of the whole space wasting console area. It is mostly hollow anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd like that at all. The "shifter" ("on the tree" or on the center hump) is easy to find (no groping around), requires no looking, and provides a kinesthetic cue as to what you've selected.

+1 - bad idea

My grandfather had one in the early 60s. It was a Rambler.
rambler.jpg

Chysler's PowerFlite transmission was pushbutton controlled starting in 1956.
That turned out to be a novelty that didn't catch on then. We'll see what happens this time, who knows...

In early times, some cars had an accelerator pedal in the middle, between the brake and clutch. Others controlled speed with a lever near the steering wheel, like we now control windshield wipers. Even if there were a strong argument for center accelerators I don't think you'd find many manufacturers changing to them.

IMO transmission control is one of the many things where safety and familiarity trumps innovation. IIRC the feds long ago outlawed PNRDL transmissions and required PRNDL. No options. Buttons, lever, whatever. That user interface ought to be standardized for safety. Lately I have driven a few cars where use of the transmission selector lever was far from intuitive. Too much creativity had been permitted.

Even if there were a strong argument for center accelerators I don't think you'd find many manufacturers changing to them.

I worked hard to get good at using a Dvorak keyboard in the 80s, and really liked how much more efficient it was.

But I had to use several different machines from time to time so finally gave up and went back to QWERTY.

[sigh]

I worked hard to get good at using a Dvorak keyboard in the 80s, and really liked how much more efficient it was.

But I had to use several different machines from time to time so finally gave up and went back to QWERTY.

[sigh]
Yup. Standardization has both costs and benefits. Different countries choosing to drive on different sides of the road is another one with costs and benefits. I remember reading about the day that Sweden (or maybe it was Norway) switched sides. A Sunday, IIRC.

One of the cars I test drove had the buttons instead of a shift knob...I thought it was a great idea. If you think about it, almost every other function in a vehicle uses buttons or dials...why not the same to shift?

Yup. Standardization has both costs and benefits. Different countries choosing to drive on different sides of the road is another one with costs and benefits. I remember reading about the day that Sweden (or maybe it was Norway) switched sides. A Sunday, IIRC.
Since 90% of the world is right handed, RHT/LHD like the USA is right, and LHT/RHD is simply wrong. I easily convinced a U.K. friend of mine in a pub a few weeks ago...

right-handed-or-left.jpg

Last edited:
One of the cars I test drove had the buttons instead of a shift knob...I thought it was a great idea. If you think about it, almost every other function in a vehicle uses buttons or dials...why not the same to shift?
We'll see what the market does this generation (didn't work last time automakers tried), but I'd agree for an automatic transmission. And it appears paddle shifters have/are displacing traditional manual stick shifts?

Last edited:
We'll see what the market does this generation (didn't work last time automakers tried), but I'd agree for an automatic transmission. And it appears paddle shifters have/are displacing traditional manual stick shifts?

Yeah, it definitely looks like paddle shifters have replaced a manual stick. After driving a stick for 20 years I've had enough and am more than willing to let the car's computer do the work so even if my next car had the paddle shifters, I'd probably just put it in drive and ignore them.

One problem is the operation of buttons too often requires the driver to take his eyes off the road, especially if the buttons are tiny or arrayed in large quantity. Additionally, buttons often provide no tactile feedback as to their setting. Dials IMO are better for certain functions, for example heating/cooling, because by simply touching the control one can feel how far it has been rotated and thus know its setting, all while watching the road.

One problem is the operation of buttons too often requires the driver to take his eyes off the road, especially if the buttons are tiny or arrayed in large quantity. Additionally, buttons often provide no tactile feedback as to their setting. Dials IMO are better for certain functions, for example heating/cooling, because by simply touching the control one can feel how far it has been rotated and thus know its setting, all while watching the road.

I don't think that's an issue for Park/Drive/Reverse as you are never moving (or shouldn't be) when you change from one to another.

Remember the 1958 Edsel Citation? It had the transmission buttons in the steering wheel center hub:

tumblr_n03ex2ymmz1roi5yvo1_1280.jpg :facepalm:

Remember the 1958 Edsel Citation? It had the transmission buttons in the steering wheel center hub:
Bad as it was from an ergonomic standpoint, still far better than the "chest penetrator" design of the 56 Chevy...

Attachments

• 56 chevy.JPG
    56 chevy.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Yeah, I've seen many models with a rotary selector. I'm thinking Jag started this trend.

The paddle shifters are typically used with automatics not manuals. With more gears to select (e.g. 8 speed automatic) many offer a paddle or other +/- selection to supplement PRND.
In the heavy duty world we offered customers a choice of push button or traditional selector since the 90s. Push button was 1/3 the cost and captured 90% penetration.

Get rid of the consoles. Return to the good old days when your girlfriend could snuggle up to you. With consoles you can barely hold hands. If your date didn't sit close, it wasn't going to be a good date.

Back
Top Bottom