Best Halloween ideas

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just read this one on MyLifeIsAverage:

"I grew up in a college town, and one Halloween our doorbell rang and we opened the door expecting to see trick or treater—but what was in front of our open door—was another door! Like, a full-on wooden door, that had a sign that said “Please knock.” So we did, and the door swung open to reveal a bunch of college dudes dressed as really old grandmothers, curlers in their hair, etc, who proceeded to coo over our “costumes” and tell us we were “such cute trick or treaters!” One even pinched my cheek. Then THEY gave US candy, closed their door, picked it up and walked to the next house".

Wonderful!

Great costumes or ideas you've done seen or heard of?

I always have trouble remembering Halloween. My neighborhood has a practice of trick or treating with shot glasses...;)

I always have trouble remembering Halloween. My neighborhood has a practice of trick or treating with shot glasses...;)

When our kids were little we did that for a year or two with some good friends. We dressed up our 4 y.o. son as a cowboy and our 2 y.o. daughter as a ballerina and rang their doorbell with glasses in hand. They had 3 kids from 10 to 14 and they loved having real dressed up babies to play with and pass out candy with. We had some drinks and laughed really hard. It was a good memory thanks for reminding me!

But I do love the door idea. I will probably suggest it to my son who is still debating going to the parties as a Wall Street bandit this year!

One year my daughter (about age 7) had a purple wind-breaker jacket and purple tights with about 15 purple balloons and a green stocking cap, she made a great bunch of grapes!

Last edited:
I'm planning on putting a twist on the "be a pirate" thing for Halloween... be a Somalian pirate.

I've already built one of those rocket launchers they always seem to be carrying using a cardboard tube from xmas wrapping paper with handle of a squirt gun sticking out the bottom and a nerf football attached to the end, once I get it spray painted it'll look great.

Add some ratty clothes then decide how far I'm willing to go with the un-PC stuff like afro wig etc.

We attended a Halloween party where a couple showed up with him wrapped from head to toe as a mummy and her wearing a man's suit, tie and Fedora hat. Yep, mummy and daddy....

I love this thread. I spent an hour or more yesterday looking for ideas for "creative costumes" for a neighborhood party. Keep the stories coming. I am hoping to find something to use this year! I like the Wall Street Bandit idea. How is he going to pull that one off?

Several years ago a friend went as a "one night stand". She put a small cardboard box around her waist and covered it with a tablecloth. Obviously cutting it out in the middle to fit around her. She then added a few thing you usually find on the night stand. A box of tissues, a phone, glasses, a small vase with flowers,etc. It was so cute!

If he goes as the Wall Street Bandit he can wear a suit or sport coat with a briefcase and a black bandit mask. We are debating real money or monopoly money from the dollar store sticking out of pockets and lid of the briefcase. Really should be quite an easy costume to pull off.

The Wall Street Bandit costume sounds great. That might be just the thing for DH who refuses to do anything too embarrassing. He refuses to wear a full mask, paint his face, wear anything to revealing, or wear a dress. Whatta ya' gonna do with a man like that!

I am probably the only person left in the U.S. that thinks Hallowe'en is for children. I don't participate.

Well, I say that but a few years ago Frank, one of his relatives, and I went down to the French Quarter on Hallowe'en night, a popular place with the vampire contingent. We saw grownups (only, of course :rolleyes:) wearing some unbelievably extravagant and very expensive costumes. I was good and did not say, "Don't you feel like a complete and utter idiot?" to any of them. We hit the (very, very crowded) bars, which was interesting since neither of us drink though his relative did. What a zoo.

Last edited:
I love dressing up on Halloween and my husband and I have done it for years. I am just not great with coming up with the ideas for costumes.

In fact on our third date I invited my husband (to be!) to go to a halloween party given by someone that I worked with. We did not discuss what we were going to wear before hand. He picked me up dressed as a toilet and I was wearing a baby doll dress, tights, and mary janes. Needless to say, there were many potty training jokes that night!

To be a toilet he dressed all in white and added a handle to his belt on one side, a toilet paper dispenser on the other, and a NEW toilet seat around his neck. He had a small tape recorder in his pocket that played the sound of a toilet flushing. He was so cute, I married him!

The Wall Street Bandit costume sounds great. That might be just the thing for DH who refuses to do anything too embarrassing. He refuses to wear a full mask, paint his face, wear anything to revealing, or wear a dress. Whatta ya' gonna do with a man like that!

Love him and enjoy him while you got him. That's all there is to it!:clap:

One of the best couple costumes I've seen is the guy was dressed up in a nurse's uniform complete with cap (and he was a big guy ) the woman was wearing a patient gown over shorts and she was bandaged in several areas and had a cast and a crutch .Years ago I went to the goodwill and found a girl scout uniform complete with badges . I added my daughter's sash , knee socks and saddle shoes and a canteen filled with wine . I used to have Halloween parties every year . They were great fun !

My brother ordered police man costumes for the kids and a jail-bird costume for himself (complete with the black n'white striped cap). Then proceeded to have the kids drag him around the nieghborhood.

If you're a couple go out as a priest and pregnant nun. Always gets a reaction. :D

Last Halloween party we went to, we were a priest and Regan, the little girl from The Exorcist, with the makeup and a backward nightgown (to simulate head turned around backward) covered with a can of pea soup as vomit. It was right after the reissue of the movie. Not much fun to spend the evening smelling pea soup and hearing DH repeat that the power of Christ compels me, but it was easy to do.

More fun to see the handful of kiddles come to our door.

Bet there are going to be a lot of big tinfoil helium balloons this year.

tiuxiu,

We have already done the priest and nun one. It was fun, but don't want to repeat with this crowd!

The policeman costumes reminded me of costumes I saw at Mardi Gras one year. A couple with two small children dressed the kids in animal costumes, put them into a rolling wagon with a bar contraption built on top that made the wagon look like a circus wagon or something. The parents were big game hunters. The kids were contained and it was so cute.

I will skip dressing up full costume this year for the first time since I was a kid. :( We bought tickets to a prime rib dinner with the county Legion (dh2b's boss was selling them). But I have plenty of funny hats and glasses left over from past years :LOL: to do a basic head only costume.

Here's one of me from a few years ago. The 2nd pic is from the one and only year I got dh2b to dress up. The pirate coat he is wearing is a hand modified plain raincoat from the Salvation Army. The cape, pentagram necklace and charm bracelet I'm wearing are authentic, found on sale in a theatrical store in Salem MA.

Let's see some of your past costumes, folks!

Attachments

• Vampira.jpg
    Vampira.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 5
  • dh2bFBHalloween.JPG
    dh2bFBHalloween.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 7
I wonder how many kids/adults will dress up like CO balloon boy Falcon or the "flying saucer" that he was not in? Should be pretty easy to construct a bit of foil and/or Mylar and a hula hoop and you're in biz...

Last Halloween party we went to, we were a priest and Regan, the little girl from The Exorcist, with the makeup and a backward nightgown (to simulate head turned around backward) covered with a can of pea soup as vomit. It was right after the reissue of the movie. Not much fun to spend the evening smelling pea soup and hearing DH repeat that the power of Christ compels me, but it was easy to do.

More fun to see the handful of kiddles come to our door.

Bet there are going to be a lot of big tinfoil helium balloons this year.
Amusing. Exorcist (and Exorcist III) were shot at my old school. The steps he fell down are now known as the Exorcist steps. Don't remember pea soup on the menu at the cafe the last time I was there.

When I worked at a hospital, I just used to cheat and wear scrubs and a lab coat.

I will skip dressing up full costume this year for the first time since I was a kid. :( We bought tickets to a prime rib dinner with the county Legion (dh2b's boss was selling them). But I have plenty of funny hats and glasses left over from past years :LOL: to do a basic head only costume.

Here's one of me from a few years ago. The 2nd pic is from the one and only year I got dh2b to dress up. The pirate coat he is wearing is a hand modified plain raincoat from the Salvation Army. The cape, pentagram necklace and charm bracelet I'm wearing are authentic, found on sale in a theatrical store in Salem MA.

Let's see some of your past costumes, folks!

Wow......you holding a broom? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You know the joke about Halloween at a [-]nudist colony[/-] naturist camp, "a daub of paint here, a daub there." No, I don't have any photos.

-----

I could get into that tradition of shot glasses or for us frugal types, glasses of two buck chuck.

Back
Top Bottom