Halloween 2021, not like it used to be…

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Nothing wrong with it, but very different. However, DW still expects kids to act like they did 60 years ago, so I have to help her accept new ways…
  • No kids are out on their own, the parents are with them.
  • They don’t knock or ring doorbells, people leave candy out at the end of the driveway or sit out there and hand out candy.
  • To my surprise, most kids (in my neighborhood) only take one piece of candy, unless you tell them they can take more.
  • Costumes haven’t changed, most kids put in a considerable effort or at least the parents do.
  • Most kids are polite and very well behaved (in my neighborhood). “Happy Halloween” “Trick or Treat” “Thank You”
  • Some parents drive their kids to “better” neighborhoods…
In my day:
  • We were all on our own, parents stayed home.
  • We had to knock or ring doorbells, only a few homeowners sat out and no one offered self serve.
  • We were a little disappointed at homes that only gave us one piece of candy, but we did say thank you at every home.
  • We didn’t dare go out without a legit costume, bought or homemade.
  • We were probably less polite since our parents weren’t supervising.
  • We only trick or treated within walking distance of home. Parents wouldn’t have driven kids to other neighborhoods, no way.

Last edited:
I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods of my small city. It also is an area that is conveniently laid out in an easy-to-navigate grid about 4 blocks square. Our county’s Trick or Treat is traditionally held on the Thursday prior to Halloween from 6:00-7:30.

At about 5:45, our neighborhood fills with cars driving around to pick their drop off spot. At least 30 cars drove by my house just prior to 6:00 when normally one might normally drive by. It was busy this year as always.

I pretty much see the same as you’re seeing. And grew up doing it much like you describe.

Our little neighborhood is in a very rural area and over the years those who live further out come in by the mini-van load to trick or treat here.

Not this year.

Very quiet out there.

Maybe will wander out next door and have a drink in the neighbors driveway.

We live in a resort community and almost everyone is retired. Every development is gated and I haven't seen a kid anywhere the whole time we live here. Each year, we buy a few bags of the "good" stuff in case kids show up. This year, no kids again.

Nothing wrong with it, but very different. However, DW still expects kids to act like they did 60 years ago, so I have to help her accept new ways…
  • They don’t knock or ring doorbells, people leave candy out at the end of the driveway or sit out there and hand out candy.
  • To my surprise, most kids (in my neighborhood) only take one piece of candy, unless you tell them they can take more.
  • Costumes haven’t changed, most kids put in a considerable effort or at least the parents do.
  • Most kids are polite and very well behaved (in my neighborhood). “Happy Halloween” “Trick or Treat” “Thank You”
In my day:
  • We had to knock or ring doorbells, only a few homeowners sat out and no one offered self serve.
  • We were a little disappointed at homes that only gave us one piece of candy, but we did say thank you at every home.
  • We only trick or treated within walking distance of home. Parents wouldn’t have driven kids to other neighborhoods, no way.
Exactly! Times have changed. No bought costumes when I was trick or treating either. I went as a bum/tramp so we had those things on hand.

Very quiet in our neighborhood tonight, which is a change for us (it’s normally very busy). We live in a Houston suburb and I think most families are home watching the Astros in the World Series.

No kids in our neighborhood as it's 55+. But I did drive my Mustang convertible to DD's house this afternoon to get some Kit Kat's out of her stash for tonight! :cool:

Pretty quiet here, despite it being a weekend and a gorgeous evening. We setup a bowl with a "take two each" sign, as I really don't want to interact with dozens of young kids again quite yet.

The bowl was on a stand near our ring doorbell, so we could easily view the visits on our phones, and replenish when it looked like it needed.

I always went trick or treat with my older brother and sister, no parents.
We went to a catholic school and the day after Halloween was a holiday so we got to stay out later than the public school kids.
Our town was pretty small back then and since my parents grew up here we knew almost everyone.
People would leave candy on the porch. Usually with a sign to just take one, which we did. I don’t think we ever even thought about taking more.
I actually don’t remember the costumes.

[*]No kids are out on their own, the parents are with them.
[*]They don’t knock or ring doorbells, people leave candy out at the end of the driveway or sit out there and hand out candy.
[*]To my surprise, most kids (in my neighborhood) only take one piece of candy, unless you tell them they can take more.
[*]Costumes haven’t changed, most kids put in a considerable effort or at least the parents do.
[*]Most kids are polite and very well behaved (in my neighborhood). “Happy Halloween” “Trick or Treat” “Thank You”
[*]Some parents drive their kids to “better” neighborhoods…

I only saw 4 kids on my street the whole 3 hour block. Two pairs of two along with their parents.

By 6P there was already one report on Facebook about someone who had their bowl of candy taken along with the bowl itself. I would never trust anyone to take just one piece.

I grew up in a housing project back east that was for poor people. My parents didn't have two nickels to rub together.

There were about 300 units (brick) in the project and you had to have three kids to qualify for a place. So you can imagine on Halloween there would be several hundred kids out trick or treating. I mean the streets were full kids dressed up in bed sheets as ghosts, etc going from door to door.

I don't recall ever having some family not give us candy on that night. We used pillow cases for our "haul" and filled them! That was back in the late 1950s.

Things are much different now.

We're getting mobbed with kids this year. Mostly little ones with parents dressed up, too. We had one gang of like 30 parents and kids stop by. At one point it looked like a big block party out front. We almost went lights out like last year because of Covid still hanging around. At the last minute I realized I had a bunch of Halloween party favors to hand out I stockpiled from a previous after holiday sale. I'm so glad I found the party favors since we've had friends and neighbors stop by. Otherwise we would have looked like the Halloween Scrooge family.

I've gone through two big bowls of treats so far, though it has started to quiet down. Our neighborhood used to be a lot of older people but many have passed away or retired elsewhere and now it is a lot of yuppie type families with young kids, so I guess this is the new norm for us.

Update: Now the older kids are coming out so they've started up again. They are all very polite saying thank you and Happy Halloween. One kid liked the party favors and told me I was awesome. :)

Last edited:
I grew up in a housing project back east that was for poor people. My parents didn't have two nickels to rub together.

My family was also quite poor during my trick or treating years. My Brother and I would run from house to house right at 4:00 when it started and we would do a lap around the block. Then we would go home, dump out our bag of candy, and take out the stuff we really liked. Then my parent would take the rest and that is what they would give out to neighborhood kids. Couldn't afford to buy our own to give away. Then we would go out again to the next neighborhood over and when we got home we would take what we really liked and the rest would go to out parents.

My family was also quite poor during my trick or treating years. My Brother and I would run from house to house right at 4:00 when it started and we would do a lap around the block. Then we would go home, dump out our bag of candy, and take out the stuff we really liked. Then my parent would take the rest and that is what they would give out to neighborhood kids. Couldn't afford to buy our own to give away. Then we would go out again to the next neighborhood over and when we got home we would take what we really liked and the rest would go to out parents.

Now that was clever! :D

Mudpack you nailed it. It has changed so much it makes me kind of sad. We used to get so excited about Halloween as kids.

I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods of my small city. It also is an area that is conveniently laid out in an easy-to-navigate grid about 4 blocks square. Our county’s Trick or Treat is traditionally held on the Thursday prior to Halloween from 6:00-7:30.

At about 5:45, our neighborhood fills with cars driving around to pick their drop off spot. At least 30 cars drove by my house just prior to 6:00 when normally one might normally drive by. It was busy this year as always.

I pretty much see the same as you’re seeing. And grew up doing it much like you describe.

I found it funny, I live on a fairly affluent street and the first trick-or treaters today came from a totally random family that had just drove up in a mini-van and stopped right on our dead end street, right in front of our house. My dad taught me a lesson a long time ago...he said you will know when you have something when everyone else wants it. We don't get a LOT of trick or treaters by nature of how our street is designed, but I figured these people for sure thought they were hitting gold by parking right outside our property. They got out, left the mini van outside our home and hit the other houses on the street. I chalked it up to the high end lighting and big house we have. It's the biggest on the street, in a fairly affluent neighborhood and we have cool colored lighting showcasing our very mature oaks, evergreen's and spruce trees. We don't give out much high end candy though, but some of our other neighbors go pretty heavy with the size/quantity they try to unload. We had about 12 to 15 total trick-or-treaters.

When I was a kid we ran free with a pillow case and made a game to see how many houses we could get to. I enjoy going with my children, but they are too young to go on their own. This year my 6 yr old was so much faster then the other 2 younger kids we have that he ended up darting off with the neighbors and their kids. We couldn't keep up and kinda let him run with them. We did text throughout the episode and they kept us updated to the cross streets they were at so I felt comfortable with that method.

I then got in my car and drove over to the "super creepy house" as my kids say. Its one of those houses that went so overboard with decorations I kinda joked to DW "I know what they spent their stimulus checks on" as they keep adding decorations every year to the point its almost ridiculous. But I brought the kids there because I had promised we would go see the home up closer. My 4 yr old loved the creepy decorations.... 20 to 30' tall skeletons with digital eyeballs moving and changing colors... 400 sq foot spider webs with spiders of 8' wing spans. It was the type of people that have "garage parties" when its not halloween. They seemed like nice people, and they were quite generous with the treats. They had gifts (slime containers), grab bags with candy, healthy snacks, and then just like random chocolate and sour candies. They were partying and having a good time.

One thing I noticed today vs when I was a kid is there are seemingly quite a few more options so competing for trick-or treat events is a thing. There is now "trunk or treating", there is the farms with various halloween events, there are hay rides, and haunted corn mazes, theatrical events at the local performing arts centers...and even the local businesses do a trick or treat where all the storefronts have candies to help promote their shops. The scary movies at the theaters. We tried to do all of that stuff this year over the past month. However it must be noted that the kids had the most fun trick-or-treating. And we kinda did too, only because we got to see the neighbors and they got to see our "cute" kids all dressed up. The littlest was a pumpkin, middle was a Unicorn and a Skeleton, and the oldest was Chase from Paw patrol.

The next door neighbor put on a holiday party where we all kinda brang a food item, there were games for the kids to play (we had a race to see who could mummify their friend quickest, guess how many hershey kisses, guess the weight of the pumkin, etc) and a couple bonfire pits outside to roast hot dogs. It was great fun. Here in the NORTH its sort of a transitional period as the snow will soon come along and we will see less and less of each other as the weather worsens and the daylight becomes scarce.

I think next year I will up the game a bit and go beyond just some candy bars and sour treats as we really do only get about 15 to 20 revelers so we could probably give out some cooler items/ or bigger treats. Some of the neighbors had individual grab bags with each of our childrens names in anticipation for a good spooky spoilin. Some had like the MEGA candy bars, I am not talking just the king size, but like the 24 square Hershey's bars. One family gave the kids an 8 pack of gum each. I thought that was funny. I asked the kids if they wanted to swing over to grandma and grandpas as they have a house possessed by someone displaying an insane amount of blow-up characters...my 6yr old son said he didn't want to because his wrist hurt from carrying the heavy load of candy he had hauled into his pumpkin bucket. Fun times were had. If I wasn't concerned for exploiting our families privacy I would post the pictures of there cute costumes. Dad went as a baseball player.

Ahh the memories. Now I am sitting in bed with my old navy "believe" shirt with the santa clause stocking cap image...onwards and upwards! Only 55 days until the big guy in the red suit comes and spoils them again. I really enjoy this time of year. I could do without the pumpkin spice and candy corns though, not my cup of tea. :D

One thing I always remember treating as a kid was there would be one house in particular that would give out loose change. Pennies and sometimes dimes. I wonder if they were accountants, or just people with too much dough lol...thinking about RobbieB when I type this..muhahahah! The opposite of scrooge...the Blow that Dough house for sure!

My mom lives at the end of a cul-de-sac on a very dark out of the way street. She used to give out quarters for Halloween.
She did not go broke. [emoji23]

We got a surprisingly good turnout this year. Not like 30 years ago, when we first moved in (we got hundreds then), but fairly decent for the past few years. The kids were polite and as cute as ever. The best was one sweet little girl who wondered if we might also have a dog biscuit that she could take home to her dog, who did not get to go trick or treating. Sadly, we are a cat household and have no dog treats. But it's a good idea for next year.

Pre COVID we used to have at least a bag of candy worth of kids stopping by. We got no kids at all both last year and this year.

The whole neighborhood is quiet tonight. Can't blame anyone when kids are now the virus spreaders without vaccine protections.

I hope they still get candies so the dentists don't see sharp drop of their business.

For the first time, we left a box of candies outside. At the end of the night, about 1/2 of the candies were gone. We watched the kids for a bit from inside, through a window. I think it was a win-win for all involved.

In my day:

Same here. In Des Moines Iowa we hand out candy on October 30 and most kids tell a joke for "trick or treat". I wore my mask and had fun doing it this year.

We started seeing kids around 7pm and the last ones at 8pm. We used to go in the afternoon when it was on a weekend, but also colder up North.
We gave each person a handful of candy. We are also in a gated community, so that limits the halloween traffic.

We didn't participate again this year like last year. Not too much of a loss though. Only a handful of young children with their parents were out about 6pm while it was still daylight. Those are the ones in their cute costumes that I miss seeing at the door. Later when it was dark the teenagers were out and even cruising in their trucks. But still only a dozen or so.
Our lights were off and we watched a video instead. Sad to miss the little children in their costumes. For more than 10 years we gave out 100% juice juice boxes that were always a great hit. Maybe next year if things are better we will give it another try

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom