Too early to plan Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year was a first for us. All but one kid was able to meet on Big Island for Christmas. Even got to be with our latest grand child (and only grand daughter). First time we've had that close a Christmas in 10 years! This year, virtually no chance, so we'll just think back on last year and remember. Maybe we'll have "Christmas in July" in 2021. YMMV.
Wow, great timing! We too had a large gathering last Christmas with all long distance siblings here due to DF’s poor health. Then Covid happened and DF passed. So we don’t feel deprived because everyone was together for a good while when it really mattered.

But the memorial service is postponed until next year some time - hopefully.

Wow, great timing! We too had a large gathering last Christmas with all long distance siblings here due to DF’s poor health. Then Covid happened and DF passed. So we don’t feel deprived because everyone was together for a good while when it really mattered.

But the memorial service is postponed until next year some time - hopefully.

We have lost SO many friends this year on the mainland. I suppose it's 'age appropriate' now that we're in our 70s. None of the losses are due directly to Covid, thankfully. Still, we have no chance to visit those left behind. There have been none of the usual rituals surrounding the passing of loved ones (viewings/visitations/grave-side service, etc.) For the most part, only close family members are in attendance. This disease is so cruel in so many ways. I pray every day for an end to this plague that affects virtually all of us.

We were talking last night with my wife’s brother and his wife. They have 2 adult daughters, one is on dialysis and lives alone with 24 hour carers and the other is married, no children. All 3 households live within a few miles of one another and they would normally have Christmas dinner at the mother’s house. The married daughter has said that she will cook dinner, and deliver it to the 2 houses before going home and setting up a Zoom conference so they can all have a virtual Christmas.

This particular daughter has organized a Zoom quiz night every Saturday night for the past few months with about a dozen households of family and friends joining in.

The married daughter has said that she will cook dinner, and deliver it to the 2 houses before going home and setting up a Zoom conference so they can all have a virtual Christmas.

This particular daughter has organized a Zoom quiz night every Saturday night for the past few months with about a dozen households of family and friends joining in.

That's really inspirational! What a good person she must be. :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's really inspirational! What a good person she must be. :clap: :clap: :clap:

She has really been excellent in keeping folks engaged, and helping her sister and parents as much as she can.

We will be alone all season, which is rather depressing. I'm trying to think up fun things to do in order to stay positive about everything that's going on right now.

My 73 yo DH is also immune compromised and has cancer, so we cancelled everything we were hosting, and declined all invites to other folks homes. We're missing a well loved nephew's "looks to be a super-spreader" wedding in December. It really stinks, but my family has different views that us, and are out in the world working, travelling & socializing as usual or with no/inadequate ppe.

It's hard to know what to do, but we are cautious people by nature.

DW has insisted we have Christmas dinner for the family we have left here. Son, DIL and GD will be here. She is insisting they get tested a few days before they visit.
We will be doing our famous ducks, and a chicken breast for GD.

My son plans to come home for a couple of weeks between Christmas and New year. He said he will make sure tested negative before coming home.

During the summer he came home, and we put him in a room for 14 days before he came out again.

For the holidays, even if he is tested negative, should he be quarantined for 14 days still? Is there an agreeable guideline for people with negative test results?

At this point, DS plans to drive from Atlanta to pick up DD in DC and they will road trip to TX - they are both finishing up grad school so it will be the last chance they have to do something like that together for awhile. (It does warm my heart that they enjoy each other's company so much!) They both have been cautious and since they'll spend quite a few days on the road being cautious on the way, I don't think we'll make them quarantine, although I may pay for them to get a same-day test when they arrive just on general principles. I'm more worried about DS seeing his local friends while he's here than anything else, but I think he'll be willing to stick to outside activities only.

We usually go to Houston to see DH's family but at this point I don't think we'll do that unless DFIL (in hospice) passes and they decide to have the services then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom