Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 402
Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs. I've had 4 Audis. The A6/S6 for a luxurious ride, and S5 for a sporty ride. If you can afford $110K, get the RS7.

BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had. I've test driven the 4 series and love it. The 4 Series Grand Coupe has more luggage space due to its Liftback design. The M3 and M4 are pretty fast and can cause you whiplash

Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis. For fast Benz, get the AMG version.
__________________

__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,737
This was my dream car, but they stopped making them to soon.
__________________

__________________
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
With a custom sound system...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456764197.758791.jpg
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs. I've had 4 Audis. The A6/S6 for a luxurious ride, and S5 for a sporty ride. If you can afford $110K, get the RS7.

BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had. I've test driven the 4 series and love it. The 4 Series Grand Coupe has more luggage space due to its Liftback design. The M3 and M4 are pretty fast and can cause you whiplash

Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis. For fast Benz, get the AMG version.
This from the one whose signature says "no to consumerism etc"
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This, there are so many "unfriendly" people in the world we have no desire to draw attention to ourselves.
Well, the comment the guy made was in admiration. When you're told your car is "bad ass" it's generally an extreme compliment.

But your comment does remind me of my great-uncle who wouldn't smoke cigars in public because he didn't want anyone to think he was wealthy. Of course, he was fairly famous for being wealthy--and lived in the biggest house in town-- so I'm not sure what exactly he was aiming at.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 402
I stand by that motto. Just because I know about these cars does not mean I will buy all of them. I've had these brands in the past when I was younger. Right now, I have one car - the one I need. When I said I had a couple of these brands, that was over a span of 20 years (I didn't buy all of them at the same time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
This from the one whose signature says "no to consumerism etc"
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 70
Thank you to everyone who replied. Based on several great suggestions, I think it's time to do some test driving.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There are so many BMWs around here it's incredible!!!
Same in our town!

The BMW dealer expanded to the point where they built an entire new dealership for the Mini right next to the new Mercedes dealer. I see more BMW SUV's here than Honda's. It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same in our town!

It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
This reminded me of when my kids were in high school, and there were a few kids who brought their Vipers and Hummers to school. We had way too many with affluenza in my previous community, before we downsized.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 473
Both Hyundai and its sister brand Kia now make decent luxury cars that are good values. The Hyundai Genesis and Kia Cadenza are both highly ranked by the latest Consumer Reports. The warranty for both is unmatched: 5yr/60,000 mi basic and 10 yr/100,000 mile powertrain. I've also had great service on my Hyundai from two different dealers.
__________________
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I stand by that motto. Just because I know about these cars does not mean I will buy all of them. I've had these brands in the past when I was younger. Right now, I have one car - the one I need. When I said I had a couple of these brands, that was over a span of 20 years (I didn't buy all of them at the same time).
I'm just jealous...they are sweet.
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florence, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs.
BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had.
Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis.
My family owns a major luxury car dealership. My observations are:

Audi's are essentially luxury VW's, and all VW's are strange machines mechanically. Few independent service shops have the tools, knowledge or mechanics to work on them. Dealerships are few and far between--just in larger cities. I don't want to have to drive 2 hrs. to get service or parts.

BMW's are fine drivers' cars, but they're a nightmare of electrical problems. They've had to add full maintenance and long warranties to the sale--or customers would be in a heap of trouble. I wouldn't want to keep one past the full maintenance and warranty period. (I keep cars much longer than that presently.)

Mercedes--Many problems are experienced on Mercs., including brakes and a/c evaporator problems. Many dealers are hesitant to trade for Mercedes because there seems to be something wrong with the majority of trades taken in. Many car dealers have a wholesaler that buys all of their Mercedes--and they don't carry them on their used car lot.

All of the above vehicles are extremely expensive to fix even minor problems on. My Jaguar has over 17 modules on it, many of which communicate with each other thru CAN/BUS wires that are like computer wires. Each module costs about $1K, and they do go bad. My new Explorer is even more complicated with over 100 fuses and many, many relays. I would love to have a simple automobile without all the bells and whistles--like in the Good Ole Days..
__________________
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,625
Best value depends on where one lives. In my area, a Lexus is a beater car. If one comes to an intersection with 4-way stop signs, there will often be 5 Lexus vehicles at the intersection.

This means that if one wants the best value in my area, a used Lexus is going to be the best value. Lots of folks seem to use a 3-year lease, so there are hundreds of Lexus SUVs and cars coming off lease that are 3 years old. Generally, they are thousands of dollars less than a Mercedes, Acura, or Audi of the same age. And the sellers will negotiate because you have so many to choose from. That's the sweet spot.

So what's the sweet spot in your area?
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This reminded me of when my kids were in high school, and there were a few kids who brought their Vipers and Hummers to school. We had way too many with affluenza in my previous community, before we downsized.
I remember hearing a comedian(forget who) on the radio relating a story about how he was asked, after achieving a modicum of success, to address the current student body at his old high school.
He said he told a story about how in 1983 when he was in that very high school, sitting in that very auditorium he had a dream. It was to own an '83 Trans Am...so he set about to earn it. Worked every day on his craft. Had his "ups" and had his "downs" but after 15 years of working his plan, he achieved it. He went on to explain that only the day before he took out a loan on an '83 Trans Am.
"See...dreams DO come true"...
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
............So what's the sweet spot in your area?
Living in Metro Detroit, everyone buys at an employee and family discount, so used American cars are deeply discounted, as opposed to imports.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

So what's the sweet spot in your area?
I'm in your area and if you haven't noticed, BMW's are multiplying like jackrabbits.

But, I have to agree, a used Lexus around here is the new Toyota Camry in numbers.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Best value depends on where one lives. In my area, a Lexus is a beater car. If one comes to an intersection with 4-way stop signs, there will often be 5 Lexus vehicles at the intersection.

This means that if one wants the best value in my area, a used Lexus is going to be the best value. Lots of folks seem to use a 3-year lease, so there are hundreds of Lexus SUVs and cars coming off lease that are 3 years old. Generally, they are thousands of dollars less than a Mercedes, Acura, or Audi of the same age. And the sellers will negotiate because you have so many to choose from. That's the sweet spot.

So what's the sweet spot in your area?

Pretty wide range of luxury cars in my area, though BMWs and Lexuses (Lexi?) seem dominant. As I noted in my original post, I've been a Honda guy for years. At this point in my life, I'm inclined strongly to buy what I want, not just what I need. Luxury nameplates don't really impress anyone around here, but not driving a luxury car will draw negative attention in certain circles. If I had the garage space (i.e. 3-car garage), I would buy a classic luxury car for fun/appearances and another Honda for a daily driver. Unfortunately, I don't, so combining the two is my only practical option.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Pretty wide range of luxury cars in my area, though BMWs and Lexuses (Lexi?) seem dominant. As I noted in my original post, I've been a Honda guy for years. At this point in my life, I'm inclined strongly to buy what I want, not just what I need. Luxury nameplates don't really impress anyone around here, but not driving a luxury car will draw negative attention in certain circles. If I had the garage space (i.e. 3-car garage), I would buy a classic luxury car for fun/appearances and another Honda for a daily driver. Unfortunately, I don't, so combining the two is my only practical option.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just my opinion, but a top of the line Honda or Toyota is more luxurious than a bottom Acura or Lexus.... (I am talking similar cars, not big vs small)....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just my opinion, but a top of the line Honda or Toyota is more luxurious than a bottom Acura or Lexus.... (I am talking similar cars, not big vs small)....

I don't disagree with this, but it depends on how you characterize top of the line. Much of the in-car (interior) technology for which people are paying top dollar to have in cars will be (or already is) in your phone. I'd rather buy a luxury car that offers safety and/or performance features that aren't on Hondas. Then again, those will also become standard on lower tier, non luxury cars 3-5 years later (hence the trickle down of Acura tech into Hondas).


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same in our town!

The BMW dealer expanded to the point where they built an entire new dealership for the Mini right next to the new Mercedes dealer. I see more BMW SUV's here than Honda's. It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
We're not an affluent area like the Woodlands. Nevertheless, there seem to be plenty of affluent drivers, and BMWs dominate. That's one brand you don't have to worry about being noticed here.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll:What is your Car Value to Home Value ratio bank5 FIRE and Money 112 03-26-2014 08:20 AM
Best luxury beach resort for families scooter260 Travel Information 22 10-28-2011 12:44 PM
New car, old car, same car? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 74 06-15-2006 05:27 PM
HELP! Willpower weakening! Yearning to buy barely-affordable luxury house! SLC Tortfeasor Young Dreamers 64 02-02-2006 02:21 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.