"BIG 4-0"BIG 5-0"huh?

34 (years old), 5'11", 157lbs, work out 6 days a week, and still chasin the ladies.    8)

I would give up on FIRE before i'd give up on my body.  I only get one of these and i ain't screwing it up if i can help it.

mb said:
Flipstress,

One key to injury prevention is getting the right shoe. Running shoes are generally classified as cushion, stability or motion control shoes. Cushion and motion control are on the ends of the spectrum and stability is in the middle. The type of shoe that you need depends on your running mechanics.

If a cushion shoe is optimum for your for example but you are running in a motion control shoe there is a much better chance of injury.

If you are biomechanically efficient you may be able to get away with any shoe but if you have defects in your stride the shoe is more important.

In general you get what you pay for but a cheap shoe that is matched to your running mechanics is better than an expensive shoe that isn't.

There are several self tests that you can do to determine what type of shoe is best but for a beginner it is to ask around and find a good running shoe store. A good store will ask you about your running? How many miles/week? Previous shoes, etc? Tell them that you need help determining the type of show that you need. They should find a shoe that fits and then take you outside and have you run up and down the street or something similar so that they can evaluate your stride mechanics.

On finding a running shoe store:

(1) I have never found a good running shoe store located in an enclosed mall.
(2) If you ask what kind of shoe it is and the say "Nike" or worse yet "red" just turn around and walk away.
(3) Go to a specialty running shoe stores. Tri shops are also usually very good. Triathletes compare notes alot and if they're not good they don't last long. Both are much better than general sporting goods stores and department stores are the worst.
(4) The best running shoe stores tend to hire runners.
(5) Ask a local runner about the shops near you.

Road Runner Sports (a mail order place) has a pretty good catalog that describes shoe types and some of the self tests. They probably have the info on line but I have never looked. If I'm getting a new model of shoe I will typically go to a running shoe store to try it on etc. and buy at least the first pair from them but after that I will usually buy mail order. Save $10-20/pair.

There is a lot of advice in the magazines and books on how to start running and what you should do to prevent injuries. Some have plans in table form, etc. Some of the more common advice is below:

(1) Start with one or two days a week and only a mile or two or whatever you feel comfortable with. Walk if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. Run/walk/run programs have become very popular for beginnners and have even been used by marathoners and ultramarathoners. I have heard of guys doing 100 mile races where they stopped and walked for a minute or two every 10 minutes or so and set personal records.
(2) Don't go so fast and so far that you are exhausted and do not enjoy it. If it isn't fun you aren't going to keep it up. Don't make it a job.
(3) Don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week.
(4) Every fourth week decrease your mileage by 50% and let your body rest. (The next week you can go up to the same mileage as the previous week.)
(5) If something hurts rest. (I have a real hard time following this one.)
(6) Cross train. Mix up running with swimming, biking, roller blading, kayaking, cross country skiing, tennis, b-ball or what ever it is that you like to do.

Sorry this is probably way more information than you wanted but you hit on a favorite topic.

Good luck,

MB

Excellent advice, Road Runner has stores in certain cities (like my town of San Diego) and is a great place to be fitted for a shoe. I overpronate so I wear a serious motion control shoe (it's a Brooks, they nicknamed it "the beast" - I guess because it's for big fat people with big feet, size 13). Can't stress enough how important good shoes are, before I had them I just thought I couldn't run.

Training for triathlons is a great way to mix it up, I'm doing my 4th August 19th on the local Marine base. Sprint distance triathlons are enough of a challenge and variety to keep it interesting, but aren't long enough to kill ya!

For walking/running shoes. DW and I goto a place called Fleet Feet. Not sure if its just a CA store or not. I had Plantar Fasciitis they got me setup with shoes that took care of my problem.

36, 6'1", 165lbs, waist 32 :)

When I was really watching what I ate, and exercising hard I was at 155, but everyone said I looked like a chemo patient...and they were right. So I've backed off on watching what I eat so much.

You guys are running some great 5 and 10K times! My best time so far (mile/pace-wise) was a 5 miler a few weeks ago at 38:47. Running definitely helps me keep feeling young.

Whoa, in high school I was 6'2", 165 lbs and a 30 inch waist, and everybody said I was going to fall between the sidewalk cracks! You will not be going on lipitor anytime soon, my friend!!

AltaRed said:
I've been advised by doctors and by reading health articles that power walking does every bit as good as running and less wear and tear on the joints. It's the cardio-vascular workout that is the key objective.

That is accurate information. Virtually all the health benefits accrue with brisk walking.

We walk the big dog for 3 miles every other day, and I job 2-3x per week in between. Main thing is to get off your butt and do something 30 minutes a day if your only goal is general fitness.

I jog for two reasons: first, I like it - the exertion, the high, and all that, and second, in the same amount of time I can burn a lot more calories when I'm in weight-losing mode than I could walking (16 min pace with the DW versus 10 minute mile jog on my own). One other thing: when we recreate, it is often pretty rigorous - hiking, hill-walking and such. Nice to know I have done many more strenuous things regularly at home rather than discover an unknown problem while climbing the Matterhorn.

I'm coming up on the big 6-0. I'm 5' 11' and weigh 182. I exercise regularly. Walk 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week and swim .75 to 1.0 mile 3 times a week. Still have "love handles" and 36" waist. I'm on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Exercise is not a cure all but is a great stress reliever for me. Oh well!

Grumpy

I'm coming up on the big 6-0. I'm 5' 11' and weigh 182. I exercise regularly. Walk 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week and swim .75 to 1.0 mile 3 times a week. Still have "love handles" and 36" waist. I'm on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Exercise is not a cure all but is a great stress reliever for me. Oh well! Grumpy

That's right. Exercise only has minor influence around the fringes. people get fooled or fool themselves into thinking their exeise is keeping them healthy but 90% of the time it's the fact they are naturally healthy and that allows them to keep up all the exercise.

Hmmm, well, weight control is directly related to health, and exercise is a key ingredient of weight control, and I believe there have been numerous studies that seniors are healthier when they exercise. Are you disputing causality?

Hmmm, well, weight control is directly related to health, and exercise is a key ingredient of weight control, and I believe there have been numerous studies that seniors are healthier when they exercise. Are you disputing causality?

You watch too much TV. Didn't read what I said. Just spoutin what the Boss tells you to. Too bad

razztazz said:
That's right. Exercise only has minor influence around the fringes.  people get fooled or fool themselves into thinking their exeise is keeping them healthy but 90% of the time it's the fact they are naturally healthy and that allows them to keep up all the exercise.
So, Razz, now that you're done attacking the questioner, do you have any studies or other data to back up that assertion?

razztazz said:
You watch too much TV. Didn't read what I said. Just spoutin what the Boss tells you to. Too bad

O.K., so that sentence didn't even make sense, hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Laurence said:
Hmmm, well, weight control is directly related to health, and exercise is a key ingredient of weight control, and I believe there have been numerous studies that seniors are healthier when they exercise.  Are you disputing causality?

Weight control is about burning the same number of calories that you consume.   I know plenty of overzealous athletes with serious knee problems, and there's no question that over-exertion can kill you if you have underlying health issues (sometimes hidden).

It does turn out that exercise has benefits over just burning calories, though.   Some of them are pretty subtle, and some of them you only get with vigorous exercise.

FWIW, I'm starting a new experiment on myself that starts this week.   I normally do about 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise.   I just signed up with a trainer, and we'll test my HDL levels and VO2max next week.   Then 12 weeks of more vigorous exercise, and then we'll retest HDL and VO2max at the end.    Should be interesting....

razztazz said:
That's right. Exercise only has minor influence around the fringes.  people get fooled or fool themselves into thinking their exeise is keeping them healthy but 90% of the time it's the fact they are naturally healthy and that allows them to keep up all the exercise.

I trust you are joking?

Weight control is about burning the same number of calories that you consume. I

Not entirely. I wate 1500-200 calories every day for 29 yrs worked out 1-2 hour every day for 20 yrs., GAined weight. Blew out a knew exercising and developed a heart problem... went on the Atkins diet and lost 30 pounds in 5 months on minimum of 2000 cals per day and felt better than I had at least 10 yrs. It's more than SIMPLY a calorie game at least for some.

I trust you are joking?

Of course not. Do the study youself., But you wont because it's easier to believe what the TV man tells you to belive. Account to all the ill health cause by exercise. Disprove what I said. The TV man wont let you. Doesnt matter to me.

razztazz said:
Not entirely. I wate 1500-200 calories every day for 29 yrs worked out 1-2 hour every day for 20 yrs., GAined weight.  Blew out a knew exercising and developed a heart problem... went on the Atkins diet and lost 30 pounds in 5 months on  minimum of 2000 cals per day and felt better than I had at least 10 yrs. It's more than SIMPLY a calorie game at least for some.

Of course not. Do the study youself., But you wont because it's easier to believe what the TV man tells you to belive. Account to all the ill health cause by exercise.  Disprove what I said. The TV man wont let you.  Doesnt matter to me.

I have. Since reducing my calorie intake,weight lifting and walking around 28 to 32 miles a week since March I have dropped 62 pounds. It isnt just a calorie game. I have more energy and stamina than any other time in my life. I dont disagree calorie intake is very import but exercise isnt something to be dismissed in my opinion.

razztazz said:
It's more than SIMPLY a calorie game at least for some.

Well, those calories you consume have to go someplace, right? There is some evidence that a high-protein diet increases thermogenesis, so a low-carb diet might be burning more calories as heat, but I don't know if that's been well established yet.

In any case, exercise will help burn calories. And if you build muscle, your baseline metabolism should increase as well. If you exercise hard, you'll grow more capillaries and improve your O2 utilization. Your HDL will increase. And your bones will probably get stronger too.

wab said:
Well, those calories you consume have to go someplace, right? There is some evidence that a high-protein diet increases thermogenesis, so a low-carb diet might be burning more calories as heat, but I don't know if that's been well established yet.

In any case, exercise will help burn calories. And if you build muscle, your baseline metabolism should increase as well. If you exercise hard, you'll grow more capillaries and improve your O2 utilization. Your HDL will increase. And your bones will probably get stronger too.

Couple of points: it is about calories v. exercise as far as weight loss goes. But your basal metabolism drops with age, so its not a lifelong absolute number. Muscle mass increases your basal metabolism, so it really does make it easier to lose weight if your muscles are big. Even the old legend about losing weight faster if you exercise in that lower level of aerobic capacity has been discarded: while your body may shift from carbohydrate to fat burning, the two quickly re-equilibrate and in the end a calorie is a calorie (denser storage in fat than carbohydrates).

Atkins and such really do work at least short term, likely because the rules impose an easily identifiable and nutritionally poor source of calories making it easier to avoid them; also, the "ketosis" that the constant mild starvation induces tends to suppress appetite. However, the bottom line still seems to be weight loss regardless of how it is achieved, within healthy limits.

Hope this helps.

My favorite description of why people are overweight came from Carlos Mencia:

"You're fat because you put more in this hole (points to mouth) than came out of this hole (points to butt)."

Life is way to short not to eat ice cream though.

razztazz said:
Not entirely. I wate 1500-200 calories every day for 29 yrs worked out 1-2 hour every day for 20 yrs., GAined weight.  Blew out a knew exercising and developed a heart problem... went on the Atkins diet and lost 30 pounds in 5 months on  minimum of 2000 cals per day and felt better than I had at least 10 yrs. It's more than SIMPLY a calorie game at least for some.

Of course not. Do the study youself., But you wont because it's easier to believe what the TV man tells you to belive. Account to all the ill health cause by exercise.  Disprove what I said. The TV man wont let you.  Doesnt matter to me.

Well, I'm going to try and decipher your post here. This cracks me up, more posters spouting acenctotal evidence and saying it blows away mountains of scientific evidence.

But if you only accept personal stories, yes I tried just diet, but was still 250 lbs, it wasn't until I began training for races that I dropped the weight. I don't eat a perfect diet, but as long as I get 3 hours of exercise in a week, I don't gain weight, and might lose a pound to boot!

...oh, gotta run, the all powerful T.V. man is beckoning, have to start my group think session. :LOL:

Darn, I knew there was some reason I needed to get a TV, to get the messages about exercise not being worthwhile through my tin-foil hat....

FWIW, after being inspired by all of you healthy people, I started with a trainer a couple of months ago, 2x week, and started this month eating a higher protein diet (still with unlimited fruit/vegetables) directed by the trainer. I feel better, have more energy, and may just not need that monster knee brace at the end of it all if I can build up my legs. And Lawrence has inspired the first-ever "maybe we could try running" conversation in our 13-year marriage. Thanks for being such good influences on us!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom