Join Early Retirement Today

Big change in our plans
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Big change in our plans

After carefully and purposefully planning for the past 5+ years to move to Springfield, Missouri once we could ER, and after having our houses on the market for months, last week Frank made a firm and momentous decision. We are going to stay in New Orleans for the foreseeable future and that is that, case closed.

His reasons are many, including the economy and the location of opportunities for him to find an ESR job if needed. But regardless of his reasons, the upshot of it is that we will be staying in New Orleans.

As some of you have known, I have been pretty ambivalent about the move. On the one hand I really, really wanted to move away from the hurricanes and crime and corruption, but on the other hand New Orleans is a very seductive place and I love living here, too. I love the people, the food, the architecture, the history, the music, the art, the laid back "laissez les bons temps rouler" attitudes, and all that New Orleans is and has been for us. Besides, by now it is my home. I felt very torn. So, I am not so much upset by this news, as slightly "thrown for a loop" since it is a huge change in plans out of the blue. I have absolutely no intention of moving away from him, though, and I didn't really try to get him to change his mind, so I will be here for the foreseeable future as well.

I just can't think of any subtle way to slip this into the forum, so thought I'd be outrageously overt and make this post announcing it. I am looking forward to living like a human being for a change, instead of living in an unrealistically pristine home while trying to sell.

So, time to kick back and have some fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations W2R.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Whatever works for you.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Orleans is a great spot. Every time I visit I have always enjoyed it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Isn't it great that you don't *have* to move to finance your ER? Congratulations on not having to pack up house and re-locate!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations W2R!

I guess my Xtranormal movie was prescient!

I think we all understood you were very torn about this decision and that you would miss NOLA a lot. I see that Frank was the one who made the firm and momentous decision. Are you comfortable with that or are you happy to have the decision lifted from you?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Administrator

Thanks!

This change in plans does seem to simplify life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes, just deciding to do what you're doing is a relief. Here's hoping that the hurricanes leave you alone for a long time.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations W2R!

I guess my Xtranormal movie was prescient!

I think we all understood you were very torn about this decision and that you would miss NOLA a lot. I see that Frank was the one who made the firm and momentous decision. Are you comfortable with that or are you happy to have the decision lifted from you?
I started to discuss his decision with him when he told me about it, mostly because I was worried that maybe he hadn't thought it through and would change his mind again. But once he told me he was very sure of this decision, I realized that I really was OK with it. I am also OK with him making the decision, because I have been so indecisive about this issue. I know that he is thinking of what is best for both of us and I'm glad one of us has a clue about that (because I really don't know).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you're happy, we're happy for you!

We look forward to more great NOLA stories! Party on!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

People in the military sometimes encounter a similar situation.
Once I was about due for a PCS (permanent change of station), and I had my new assignment all lined up. I was really looking forward to it, despite the huge disruption.

About 45 days before the move, I got a message from the powers that be, informing me that instead of going to location A, I would be going to location B, about 2,000 miles distant from A.

I was upset and annoyed, but I got over it and started looking forward to location B. As it turned out, I was very happy with the change, and everything worked out for the best.

I suspect that, with your great attitude, you'll be happy too.

Now get back to work on that Mardi Gras costume!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Now get back to work on that Mardi Gras costume!
Even though I threw out most of my Mardi Gras beads in preparation for the move, I kept several boxes full of the GOOD beads! And Mardi Gras is one month from today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Spare a thought for your fellow Carnivallers in Rio de Janeiro:

Fire throws Rio Carnival preparation into chaos | Reuters
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Spare a thought for your fellow Carnivallers in Rio de Janeiro:

Fire throws Rio Carnival preparation into chaos | Reuters
OMG, how awful! I'm sure they will do their best to have Mardi Gras anyway. Our first Mardi Gras after Katrina was pretty pitiful and poignant, but probably meant more to New Orleans than others have.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Man, I was afraid the big change was going to involve another countdown clock to retirement because you'd decided for the next couple of years to return to, you know.... And now your houses are beautifully fixed up, decluttered, etc., so you can enjoy living there!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Man, I was afraid the big change was going to involve another countdown clock to retirement because you'd decided for the next couple of years to return to, you know....
No way! I wanted to retire, and I retired, and ain' no way I'm gonna un-retire now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever
And now your houses are beautifully fixed up, decluttered, etc., so you can enjoy living there!
They are really delightful to live in, now. They should be better once we can get out our "personal" stuff and make them our own, once again. I miss all my cheap art (which is all packed up in a big closet).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am glad to hear this. Places have spirits, and people have spirits and over time our spirits either grow entwined with the spirit of our home, or come to strongly reject it. I think those who vibrate with the spirit of their place are usually wise to give in to this, because whatever people like to say about wherever you are, you are there, etc, etc, some of us are much more content and more able to live joyously in some particular place. Just like one lover or spouse is not interchangeable with another, neither is one home city interchangeable with another. In particular, ports are different from non-ports.

I hope you have good luck with the elements and the other aspects that did bother you. (And not unreasonably either!)

Ha
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Administrator

Thank you, Ha, and thank you for your very perceptive post. There is something special about New Orleans for me (even though it was not pleasant to see it half destroyed, but it is coming back little by little). I think what you are saying about the intertwining of spirits is so true, especially here in New Orleans because of the way it is.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I always felt your heart was in NO, so I think you made the right decision. Or at least Frank did.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I always felt your heart was in NO, so I think you made the right decision. Or at least Frank did.
Exactly! And that is why I didn't mind the fact that he took the lead on this one. I would have been happy no matter what his decision, I admit.

- - H. Melville, 1851