Bloomberg on working to 65

So many of these articles do not add anything to the discussion, they just remix the same things and present them with a slightly different flavor. I wonder how much of it is written by programs.

So many of these articles do not add anything to the discussion, they just remix the same things and present them with a slightly different flavor. I wonder how much of it is written by programs.

Yes, but they are so fun to refute. :ROFLMAO:

The yahoo article talks about needing $36k for basics. I think there are people here living nicely, with some extras, on less than that, or near that. But then again they don't have the car payments mentioned, and federal income tax is probably a lot less than this Ulin person thinks.

I did see on a retirement calculator that they are not really ready to let you out of the rat race either... It will only allow an age of 58 and higher.

Attachments

• retirementAge.PNG
    retirementAge.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 31

One bot telling the other bots to keep w*rking...

These articles also have a habit of not letting facts get in their way. According to the 2014 Consumer Expenditure Survey, mean investment type income for households over age 65 have under $3K in interest, dividends and rental income, which would imply that most households do not have seven figure portfolios, let alone $2M.

A recent study in the U.K found that people age 65 to 79 happiest of all and "People with jobs were happier than unemployed people, with part-time workers the happiest. Of those are were not working, retirees had the highest levels of happiness, followed by students."

Go figure. I'm ERing in 68 days and now it's out of style! What will I do?!
The good news is that you'll have plenty of time to think about it! Maybe a top hat, cravat, and diamond-studded walking stick will add the style back!

I don't want to drop a dog in this fight but if you read the article properly it was directed at millennials, so I would have to agree that by the time they want to retire (20 to 30 years from now) and considering inflation, 2 million should probably be the goal, especially with limited pension options and possibly reduced SS payments. I think it is totally reasonable for a today's average early retirees (mid 50"s) to make it work on 1 million plus a paid for home considering they might have a small pension and/or will have a good chance to receive most if not all of their projected SS.

Too many stories about folks dropping dead at age 64, 65, 66 having had just a few months of retirement. Know a few myself.

Nothing stylish about that.

Too many stories about folks dropping dead at age 64, 65, 66 having had just a few months of retirement. Know a few myself.

But, it does represent very nearly optimal resource utilization for the labor unit consumer, something any corporate entity could be proud of.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Since these authors are paid to write articles and generate page views, they don't care if there is any truth to what they write. They could write another article next week stating the exact opposite and be happy if it gets used. They are like the stock broker that gets paid on each trade whether you make any money or not. Sensationalist headlines sell. Just keep churning out the drivel!

Or 56, 57 like happened recently in my little place at Megacorp.

Or 56, 57 like happened recently in my little place at Megacorp.

Exactly. Back when I was in college, I worked at a defense contractor. One day the alarms went off and some EMT's came running down the aisle. An engineer had keeled over at his desk. He died right there, so they carted him away. Right then I swore I would not let that happen to me. That was 37 years ago. I no longer sit in a windowless cloth-covered box all day, thanks in part to encouragement from this forum.

First of all I don't care what is cool or in fashion. I don't care about what people think that I should or shouldn't do. I passed up on many things to buy. I did all of my own home improvements until my skill level forced me to hire someone to do it. I went to 15 year mortgages to pay off the house faster. I elimated all of my debts. I lived on the same amount of money for the last ten years and socked away the surplus. Any bonus went into the bank after giving to charities. All this was done so I can retire in 5 1/2 weeks at 60 1/2. I agree that dying at my desk is on the bottom of my wish list.

I have never believed in status symbols. I would much rather have $ in my investments than in a big house or car or bling to show off to the neighbors. RE for me!!!

But, it does represent very nearly optimal resource utilization for the labor unit consumer, something any corporate entity could be proud of.

Yep, w*rked them almost to the end, but didn't have to bury them... :facepalm:

Jeb Bush said that we should all just realize that we need to work to 70. REally? Will he? Also people in physical jobs won't be able too.

Let's please keep the politics out of this, eh? :)

Back
Top Bottom