Book for the Engineers!

H2ODude

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know there's a thread on books but given there are a lot of engineers on the board I thought I'd just alert you to this:

The Jackhammer Elegies: Stefan Jaeger: 9780985405502: Amazon.com: Books

Jackhammer Elegies by Jaeger. It's a thriller novel centered around...tah dah...engineers! Specifically it's more civil engineer than anything else, dealing with infrastructure terrorism, something I did a lot of speculation post 911. The writer definitely did his research as it brought a smile to my face reading about proposals, consulting engineering politics, professional societies, and local government. Some of the writing is a little off, but if you had a career around any of this, you'll get a kick out of it. I actually haven't finished it yet, but it has kept my attention. And yeah, I could quibble with some of the scenarios but not here. Just think, a novel not centered around cops, lawyers, or doctors! What's next, a thriller where an actuary is the hero?:LOL:

:)Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a fellow engineer, but a metallurgist. So I'll have to wait for a novel centered around microstructures or steel mills or something.

:)Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a fellow engineer, but a metallurgist. So I'll have to wait for a novel centered around microstructures or steel mills or something.

Lot's of good stories involving failure analysis. Mysteries that were solved.

This is a pretty good book on how they figured out the meteors were from Mars.

The Rock from Mars: A Detective Story on Two Planets: Kathy Sawyer: 9781400060108: Amazon.com: Books

For steel mills I recommend the book (not the movie) Out of This Furnace.

Back
Top Bottom