Join Early Retirement Today

California Regs Kill GPS Reception
Old 10-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

California Regs Kill GPS Reception

It will be interest to see how this shakes out since GPS has become such a necessary part of modern life.

California regs to kill GPS reception | GPS Tracklog

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

From the link
Quote:
Regulations recently adopted by the California Air Resources Board will require automakers to reduce the amount of solar energy entering vehicles by 45% by 2014 and 60% by 2016. The problem is, the technology used to do this will utilize reflective metal oxide particles embedded in windshields, effectively blocking GPS signals. Stay tuned; Im sure well be hearing more about this one.
I don't think it will be a problem. Any tinting wil be on rear and side windows, most GPS units sit on the dashboard. Or, make a small "window" in the tint over the antenna.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
From the link

I don't think it will be a problem. Any tinting wil be on rear and side windows, most GPS units sit on the dashboard. Or, make a small "window" in the tint over the antenna.
Quote:
embedded in windshields, effectively blocking GPS signals
The antennae is generally inside the GPS unit, sitting on the dash.

What am I missing?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What am I missing?
a GPS signal, if you live in California after these proposed regulatiuons take effect. Wonder what law enforcement thinks about blacking out vehicles windows?- this inane regulation can't enhance public safety.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

The antennae is generally inside the GPS unit, sitting on the dash.

What am I missing?
The info at the link you posted implied that GPS units would not operate inside vehicles meeting a new CARB requiremnt to have tinted windows. This is because the window tinting contains metallic particles.

As you note, the GPS unit usually sits on the dash (or affixed to the windshield). It depends on receiving signal primarily through the windshield. I doubt that the CARB requirements will dictate that windshields be tinted very much at all (due to night driving safety requirements). So, the GPS units wil probably grab the signal with little loss.

It's also no problem for automakers to include a small antena outside the car that passively re-radiates the signal into the car. This could even be done as part of the window glass.

As anyone who has tried to make a true RF-tight enclosure can attest, those radio waves are sneaky and will find their way past all kinds of barriers.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

samclem, that does explain it. This is (most likely) case of me falling for another one of those "media bias" things... I hope.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
a GPS signal, if you live in California after these proposed regulatiuons take effect. Wonder what law enforcement thinks about blacking out vehicles windows?- this inane regulation can't enhance public safety.
I'm not sure what, if any, regs there are in the Republic of Texas, but there are plenty of vehicles "with the glass so dark, they won't even know your name"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
As anyone who has tried to make a true RF-tight enclosure can attest, those radio waves are sneaky and will find their way past all kinds of barriers.
I've logged GPS fixes underwater*. I doubt a little metal oxide in the window is going to kill the signal.

Sounds like someone's trying to raise their blog hits.

*Famous naval saying: "If you can't be good, you'd better be lucky."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Another example of how great this forum is -- making snoopes.com redundant.