Can you pass the Beverly Hillbillies test?

In my preteen years I thought the Beverly Hillbillies was totally stupid but I watched it for two big reasons. Ellie Mae was very well endowed.

I took the short interactive version:

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble,you scored between 0 and 4.

In other words, your bubble is so thick you may not even know you're in one.

And I'm pretty confident my score would have been towards the lower extremity of that range.

Maybe I should visit America a bit more.:LOL:

I'm proud to report I have actually been bass fishing on a lake near Branson with people who struggled to get C's in high school.

See, you never know when these experiences will come in handy.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. Having moved in the rarified circles of the folks on the top, it is very clear to me how little most of the movers and shakers (regardless of party affiliation, etc.) know about the lives of the vast majority of the population. The US population has very effectively sorted itself into a bunch of groups who largely only deal with people who look and live like themselves and cannot even stand to listen to (and usually do not care in the slightest about) those who are different. I think this raises the long term risk of a country that cannot come together when necessary and it also robs everyone of a huge amount of insight into life via others' experience.

We have repeatedly chosen to live in neighborhoods with more ethnic/educational/"collar" diversity than the places peers and society tell us are the "right" places for us. Sometimes it is a touch out of my comfort zone, but I have never thought I was worse off for my interactions with people who are not like me. And over the long term, some of it has rubbed off on me for the better.

It was interesting, the radio host asked the author "what would you do to fix it?" and the author said get the "rich" folk to spend more time with everyone else so their habits and work ethic would rub off.

It was interesting, the radio host asked the author "what would you do to fix it?" and the author said get the "rich" folk to spend more time with everyone else so their habits and work ethic would rub off.

More importantly, spending time outside your society-approved circle humanizes those on the other side of the fence for both sides. Its a lot harder to ignore the needs, desires, and pain of other people when they really seem like people to you.

Still anxious to read the book, but I wonder about the quizzes now. Originally took the long quiz and it said 'upper class but made a point of getting around.' Just took the short, interactive quiz and it said 'in a bubble, need to get out more.' Oh well...

I grew up on military bases. And I'm glad my career had me meaningfully interact daily with folks from all economic/class levels so hopefully I wasn't completely insulated from others, but we can all benefit from 'getting out more,' self included. Indeed too many of my "middle/upper class" peers at work were arrogant stuffed shirts who were not interested in anyone but their narrow minded circle of friends & associates, and totally oblivious to others. OTOH too many of my "blue collar" employees were alarmingly entitlement minded IMHO, unfairly judging everyone above them by the fewer worst examples. There were good (fortunately plenty) and bad at all levels from my experience, evidently the book argues we're getting more stratified and that would not surprise me at all.

Last edited:
I'm proud to report I have actually been bass fishing on a lake near Branson with people who struggled to get C's in high school.

See, you never know when these experiences will come in handy.
Boy, too bad they weren't smoking too.......:LOL:

More importantly, spending time outside your society-approved circle humanizes those on the other side of the fence for both sides. Its a lot harder to ignore the needs, desires, and pain of other people when they really seem like people to you.

This is absolute fact. I've watched my DH change/soften some of his views after actually befriending people who were affected by some of his more strongly held beliefs.

I got the same as Fuego. I'm in with the peeps. No city bus for me, though!
I did request it at the library, though. Thanks for the book tip!

I got the same as Fuego. I'm in with the peeps. No city bus for me, though!

I wear my bus-riding as a badge of honor. :)

As for the greyhound question - I once rode it round trip cross country from the east coast to the Mexican border. Do that, and if you survive, you will definitely be acquainted with the other half.

As for the greyhound question - I once rode it round trip cross country from the east coast to the Mexican border. Do that, and if you survive, you will definitely be acquainted with the other half.
I went by bus and train from Guadalajara to San Francisco, back when I was one of the other half.

I've spent time with Richard Branson and neither of us were smoking - failed both those questions.

I've ridden Greyhound, but the most fun I've had traveling was all the hitch-hiking I did as a youngster in England. My girlfriend and I tried to break the Guinness world record for hitch-hiking from Lands End to John O' Groats and back. You were allowed to start anywhere in between those 2 points. We started in the middle of the country and went to Lands End first. Unfortunately, our timing was bad and we got to John O' Groats around 9pm one night when the traffic was almost non-existent, pretty much killing our chances of getting a ride out until the next morning. The record at the time was 45 1/2 hours, and we did it in 60 - would have been a lot closer had we not got stuck at John O' Groats overnight.

The best hitchhiking trip begun one Friday night at University after my room-mates arrived back from the day's lectures. We had nothing to do and I don't remember how the idea was hatched, but someone thought it would be fun to hitchhike to Paris (about 350 miles away). I blurted out that we should split into 2 groups of 2, meet under the Eiffel tower and the last ones to get there had to buy the drinks. We came second. What a great weekend.

I remember 2 things about that Paris trip - sitting outside eating wonderful cheese and wine that we had bought in local markets (not enough money for a restaurant), and staying overnight in Normandie on the way back in a rather ramshackle "family" hotel with my girlfriend. The room next to ours was occupied by a young French lesbian couple who spent most of the night making love very loudly. I was about 22 years old. As you can imagine, my young male imagination was running riot.

What a fabulous weekend we had. As an adult, I often decide against going on trips because I can't afford it. As a kid, I didn't think about such mundane things as food, accommodation and how I was going to get there; I just went, and invariably had a great time.

Oh, I scored 32 on the test, don't really know what that means and don't really care either :D

Last edited:
Help me out here: why? what does it do for you? I know there must be some reason people walk around with a carcinogenic wad in their mouths aside from peer pressure. Does it get you high or something?
It's a valuable military tool.

The nicotine is a stimulant that helps you stay awake, without emitting the position-revealing stinky smoke or light of a cigarette. Snuff also keeps cigarette smoke, tar, & particulates out of delicate submarine electronics & ventilation systems.

No, you don't want to see what I saw to learn this stuff...

Scored 9-12 on the short test. 63 on the long test.

Also chewed Cope in college .... but did not receive any bonus points for this.

I went by bus and train from Guadalajara to San Francisco, back when I was one of the other half.

I was the other half too when I took my trip (starving college student). :D

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

I took the short test. As an ISTJ and a hermit I think the questions are just plain dumb. How would I know if neighbors have a college education? I have lived in rural locations for over 30 years, I haven't had 50 neighbors in any one location and probably not in every location in total! I sure am not upper class but you wouldn't catch me dead in a union hall. NASCAR, Oprah? Yeah right, I'd gouge out my eyes 1st! I don't know anyone that smokes or is an evangelical, as a vegetarian I don't hunt or fish but if you do I'm OK with it. This test is for city people that interact with hundreds of people a day, that are surrounded by people in a densely populated area. There aren't any buses around here! Just plain dumb test.

I was channel surfing from Kudlow and Company to Lou Dobbs and I saw this guy tonight. I agree 100% with him, America has gone down the toilet in the past 50 years. I miss the America I grew up in and I liked the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. I was raised middle class and I am middle class today but I don't resent upper class or rich people except for a$$holes like Buffet and Gates et al. Let them give away all their money to charities then whine how they don't pay as much in taxes as you and me - hypocrites. I don't like this nanny state with all the people riding in the wagon that in the past would have been pulling it.

Now get off my lawn!

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

I took the short test. As an ISTJ and a hermit I think the questions are just plain dumb. How would I know if neighbors have a college education? I have lived in rural locations for over 30 years, I haven't had 50 neighbors in any one location and probably not in every location in total! I sure am not upper class but you wouldn't catch me dead in a union hall. NASCAR, Oprah? Yeah right, I'd gouge out my eyes 1st! I don't know anyone that smokes or is an evangelical, as a vegetarian I don't hunt or fish but if you do I'm OK with it. This test is for city people that interact with hundreds of people a day, that are surrounded by people in a densely populated area. There aren't any buses around here! Just plain dumb test.

I was channel surfing from Kudlow and Company to Lou Dobbs and I saw this guy tonight. I agree 100% with him, America has gone down the toilet in the past 50 years. I miss the America I grew up in and I liked the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. I was raised middle class and I am middle class today but I don't resent upper class or rich people except for a$$holes like Buffet and Gates et al. Let them give away all their money to charities then whine how they don't pay as much in taxes as you and me - hypocrites. I don't like this nanny state with all the people riding in the wagon that in the past would have been pulling it.

Now get off my lawn!
+1

I don't see how the moral degradation and rot that has overtaken this country has anything to do with treating people fairly regardless of their race. Maybe ymmv, mine doesn't.
Well, golly, when you put it that way it's difficult to argue the point...

BTW I think we should add gender, creed, national origin, age, & sexual orientation to that "race" part.

I couldn't resist, and finally took the tests.

I scored 52...

"A first- generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and moviegoing habits.
Range: 42–100. Typical: 66."

Scored 9-12 on the short test.

BTW I think we should add gender, creed, national origin, age, & sexual orientation to that "race" part.
Heavens no, because then the moral degradation and rot would really set in.

Now where's that sarcasm font when I need it..........

Back
Top Bottom