Can't pay with cash what is up with this

In Greece all they wanted was cash.

SweetGreen means something completely different in Oregon. Here it's cash and only cash. Construction & Tenant Improvements are all cash. My truck body builder got his lease bought out by a Cannabis shop. He says a couple times a day they hand cart boxes to the "safe house"

I'd be very wary of paying for work on the house in cash. I'd suspect they might be evading taxes and/or Workers' Compensation premiums and don't want to support that.

The cannabis shop is a different issue. Apparently they have trouble getting bank accounts because banks are afraid of running afoul of federal drug laws even though cannabis is legal in that particular state. They don't even like the idea of installing an ATM inside a shop because if the Feds raided the place they might confiscate all the cash in the machine. I learned this from a Planet Money or Freakonomics podcast- I forget which.

To get back to the OT- I put just about everything on the credit card so I've never seen a place where cash was refused except in the "cashless cabins" of major airlines, where you can no longer pay cash for food and beverage items.

As above, I've seen more and more toll roads that don't take cash, and airlines quit taking cash in the cabin years ago. I have not run into a physical store that doesn't take cash, but if you think about it the whole online shopping market is cashless. That is now a huge segment of retail (Amazon!) that doesn't take cash.

UPS quit taking cash on 9/18/17.

No explanation but I assume it's so illegal and prohibited parcels can be traced back to the sender.

Airlines don't take cash for food or drinks, haven't for years.

I find it interesting that I can see a fair number of online articles that take the opposite approach. They write about stores that don't accept credit cards. A couple of years ago, finally, Aldi started accepting credit cards. Previously, they only took cash and debit cards, maybe checks. I am not yet comfortable to use Google-pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay or any of the other smart-phone pay apps.

I wonder if the stores that don't take cash, are doing so because:
a) They are trying to reduce being a target for armed robbery either in the store or while making the bank deposit? or
b) Either the stores or credit companies want to collect more of your buying habits which can't be done when using cash, or
c) The are doing so because with cash, you can only buy what's in your wallet, limiting your purchases. With a CC, your buying is unlimited (up to the CC limit) causing more impulse buying, or
d) They don't want people who work under the radar as a cash-only worker as customers. Could it really be they are using it as discrimination in disguise? Nasty IMO.

I find it interesting that I can see a fair number of online articles that take the opposite approach. They write about stores that don't accept credit cards. A couple of years ago, finally, Aldi started accepting credit cards. Previously, they only took cash and debit cards, maybe checks. I am not yet comfortable to use Google-pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay or any of the other smart-phone pay apps.

I wonder if the stores that don't take cash, are doing so because:
a) They are trying to reduce being a target for armed robbery either in the store or while making the bank deposit? or
b) Either the stores or credit companies want to collect more of your buying habits which can't be done when using cash, or
c) The are doing so because with cash, you can only buy what's in your wallet, limiting your purchases. With a CC, your buying is unlimited (up to the CC limit) causing more impulse buying, or
d) They don't want people who work under the radar as a cash-only worker as customers. Could it really be they are using it as discrimination in disguise? Nasty IMO.

Answer is C .

I shop at Aldi, and everytime I used to go, I'd have to check my wallet to see how much cash I had in it. I saw folks in line , not buy stuff because they ran over their cash amount.
Once I had to ask DW if she had any cash as we went over what I was carrying.

Now, I just buy buy buy and use my CC , no worries and no limits :)

I'd be very wary of paying for work on the house in cash. I'd suspect they might be evading taxes and/or Workers' Compensation premiums and don't want to support that.

The cannabis shop is a different issue. Apparently they have trouble getting bank accounts because banks are afraid of running afoul of federal drug laws even though cannabis is legal in that particular state. They don't even like the idea of installing an ATM inside a shop because if the Feds raided the place they might confiscate all the cash in the machine. I learned this from a Planet Money or Freakonomics podcast- I forget which.

I'm sorry. I did not write clearly. The Cannabis shops pay for the shop construction & improvements in cash. A lot of them are converted run down homes (in a commercial zone) but more & more are pretty new, modern with light & bright stores. The sales at the stores are tracked...because taxes. There is some slipage at the grow operations level. A % goes out the side door before being tracked

Now back to your regular scheduled programming

I agree with Option "C" as well. I have a 2% cash back card and I KNOW that part of my rationalization on big-ticket "wants" is that I get 2% back. I still keep my spending under control but others may be less frugal. For my Ex, any unused credit line was money he could spend.

The only places that I've seen that don't accept cash are unattended toll roads (there's one in northern VA around Dulles airport, I forget the name) a local few gas stations leave the pumps and card readers turned on overnight but are otherwise closed, and one time an unattended parking garage in Baltimore only took credit or debit cards.

About ten years ago we went to southern VA to see some cousins of DW's and stopped at a local Mom 'n Pop fast food place to get some fried chicken. This place was right out of the 1950's and would only accept cash or a check drawn on a local bank (i.e., they knew you). It kind of threw DW's sister for a loop because she doesn't usually carry much if any cash.

That fried chicken sure was good though!

I am seeing more and more places that don't accept cash. In-flight purchases on airlines, and just this morning I was at a UPS location with a sign saying they stopped accepting cash in July.

On the other hand, my favorite local bagel place is cash-only.

I am a YMCA member and I wanted to use the Y near our snowbird location. They said I could use the Y 10 times for $5 per day-but no cash. I just didn't work out! I'll have to visit again and try to come up with a plan.

It maybe that we see it more in the future but for me cash it still accepted here for a purchase. They did say that UPS, some gas stations and convenient stores is where they have noticed it most. I imagine with plastic it is more likely they would get their money and not having the mistakes that cash would be.

I like cash, cash is quick. When the bill comes at the restaurant I just pluck down the cash and go. No change, nice tip - :)

I like cash, cash is quick. When the bill comes at the restaurant I just pluck down the cash and go. No change, nice tip - :)

+1
Years ago, I noticed that every time I had a credit card compromised it was shortly after using it at an unfamiliar restaurant. I concluded that it would be safer to never let the card out of my sight, so I made that a strict policy and started carrying enough cash to cover any restaurant meal.

That policy has worked well for me. In the years since I started (probably 6 or 7 now), I haven't had a single card compromise. I like cash.

+1
Years ago, I noticed that every time I had a credit card compromised it was shortly after using it at an unfamiliar restaurant. I concluded that it would be safer to never let the card out of my sight, so I made that a strict policy and started carrying enough cash to cover any restaurant meal.

That policy has worked well for me. In the years since I started (probably 6 or 7 now), I haven't had a single card compromise. I like cash.

Same here. I use cash at restaurants, for the tip and for the meal. Sometimes, my ladyfriend gets $25 restaurant gift cards through the points she has earned from her CC. She gives them to me when we go out, so when the check comes, it really feels like a "cheap" meal because a $40 check costs me only $15. :)

Those young ladies are savvy shoppers, if they can achieve many clothing purchases with just $100 apiece. Yes I know it's possible...but still :clap:to them.

Gave teenaged DGD's two fifties each for pre-Christmas spending on new clothes. They went to the local mall, and returned with purchases from many different stores. No complaints about any "non-takers", even with the fifties.

Cash transactions are easier to keep “off the books” in order to avoid paying taxes. I suspect the cannabis industry has their fair share of tax evaders. It’s an industry that has gone from an underground illegal economy to a legit business in some states but their desire to pay legitimate taxes on “all” of their sales probably isn’t sitting too well with some of them.

Cash transactions are easier to keep “off the books” in order to avoid paying taxes. I suspect the cannabis industry has their fair share of tax evaders. It’s an industry that has gone from an underground illegal economy to a legit business in some states but their desire to pay legitimate taxes on “all” of their sales probably isn’t sitting too well with some of them.

Actually because of Federal regulations banks won't touch Cannabis shops with a 10 foot pole because they are federally regulated. Thus they are all cash businesses.

The state has records of how much is harvested and how much sold(not to who). The industry came from the black market, but not the majority of the people in it.

Actually the accounting can be a real pia. We lost a medical marijuana dispensary because it was such a small part of their business it wasn't worth the accounting for a separate grow. They can't sell products, including flower, across the recreational and medical markets.

Actually some places will accept CCs. Untill the bank finds out what business they're in, they don't have a problem. When they're eventually discovered the bank drops them.

+1

Restaurants in Canada pretty well all use remote card readers now. They bring the portable hand held machine to the table, you insert your card, add a tip (if you want), punch in your pin, and receipt comes out. Card never out of your hand.

I am still a little taken aback when in the US, that they still disappear with your card and bring paper slips back. Can’t last much longer?

I don’t like carrying cash about and have no problem in paying with a card or phone, although I have not noticed any merchants refusing cash.

I never sign for anything these days and use my PIN less and less as pay by phone and pay by contactless card is almost everywhere here. A new little Italian cafe opened recently on the market street and we quickly became regular customers. The first time the owner’s mother was on the till when I went to pay and I asked to pay by phone her son told her to just touch “pay by card” on her display and when I then applied my fingerprint to my phone and the payment went through she was amazed. Her son said, “you think that’s magic, don’t you?” and she had to laugh in agreement.

Back
Top Bottom