Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the robber is staying put in his hideaway, the coordinates from the cell phone may not be accurate enough to pinpoint him. But if he is driving down the highway, the good guys will be able to infer that he is traveling 50 mph on the road, not 100m to the east of the road.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look up the details on how Google Traffic works, but all it really does is track the patterns of cell phones as they move along roads, and then shows "traffic" when they are slower than than normal traffic. As for the police and various 3-letter agencies tracking an individual phone, the accuracy varies, but is good enough to place it to within a specific house after a very short while.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #23

Several months ago AAA offered a service to AAA members. You could sign up and give AAA your phone number. If you called for assistance from that phone, they would know exactly where you were without your telling them.

A while back, I had the "opportunity" to try this service. AAA could not locate me. I had to provide directions to my location as usual. Apparently, this service is not ready for prime time.

Also, I don't think turning off you cell phone will prevent the powers that be from locating the phone. You should remove the battery.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Also, I don't think turning off you cell phone will prevent the powers that be from locating the phone. You should remove the battery.
+1

Even back in the day of the analog cell phone (remember those?), it was possible to locate a phone to the coverage area of the cell tower nearest to the phone. It was because of how cellular phones work.

Even when off, a cell phone is always scanning for a broadcast signal from the cell towers. It will then send a message to identify and announce itself to the tower with the strongest signal. It's so that the network knows where your phone is and what cell tower your phone is in contact with at any time. When someone calls your phone, the network already knows where your phone is in order to "ring" and to route the call to your phone via that cell tower.

Think about the above. When you are abroad, the GSM network in the foreign country you are visiting "knows" that you are there because your phone announces itself, even when you think your phone is off. The foreign network then alerts your home network of your whereabout. All that so that you can receive and to make calls, and also to charge you for the service. Amazing technology, is it not?

Here's a bit more about what's going on behind the scene. When you are moving while talking on the phone, you may be getting away from the cell tower that your phone is connected to. When the signal strength decreases, a "handoff" to another tower may be needed. How does the network know which of the surrounding towers to handoff your connection to? It instructs adjacent towers to listen in on your phone signal, and when another tower reports that its reception of your phone signal is getting stronger, that is the tower that the network will switch your connection to. All that should happen seamlessly without the user knowing what is going on.

In new digital phones (not really new since they have been out for almost 20 years), the phone will also scan for adjacent towers and reports which tower signal is getting stronger than that of the current one. This is to assist the network in determining which should be the best tower for the handoff. This is call "MAHO" (Mobile Assisted Handoff).

PS. Using trilateration, the new cell network can locate the mobile with better accuracy than the old analog system that can only place the phone within the coverage of a tower, which can be tens of miles in radius. However, network trilateration does not work anywhere as accurate as GPS. The technology existed and was talked about more than 10 years ago when I was working in this field. I do not know how widespread the implementation is currently.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, trust me to think about all of this in a different direction. Personally, I have the cheapest, non "I" phone on the planet ($10? several years ago). I'm sure someone could track the towers my phone "pings" (or whatever the tech-speak is). But as far as GPS, I guess I'd just as soon not have the police (or anyone else) be able to track my every move. I don't even think I have anything to hide. I just like a certain level of privacy - even if the down side is that the police might actually have to look for my crushed and burning car to find my accident following my 911 call. Call me paranoid (just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya.) When it comes to such technology, I simply default to my tag line. As always, YMMV.

I guess mine isn't very track able either, or they give up quickly (fortunately). Somehow over this past weekend while visiting a friend in another town, I guess I made a pocket 911 call or text. I'm not the most vigilant in checking phone messages but Tuesday I got around to checking them and one was from that towns police department saying I had called 911 and they were following up on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #26

Airplane mode should work fine to disable tracking. it should turn the radio off altogether. Though Wi-Fi may still be on. Turning the phone "off" comes nowhere close.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Airplane mode should work fine to disable tracking. it should turn the radio off altogether. Though Wi-Fi may still be on. Turning the phone "off" comes nowhere close.
Depends what you mean by "off". If you power down an iphone, everything is switched off.

I just tested this by powering off my phone, then checking the 'find my iphone' app. It did not find the phone. Switched back on, iphone is found straight away.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Depends what you mean by "off". If you power down an iphone, everything is switched off.

I just tested this by powering off my phone, then checking the 'find my iphone' app. It did not find the phone. Switched back on, iphone is found straight away.
iPhones work this way, with radio and CPU power being cut when off and only a power control chip remaining 'live' (to see the button press!), but some others do not. Testing individual models would be needed to confirm that 'off' kills the radio component.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
iPhones work this way, with radio and CPU power being cut when off and only a power control chip remaining 'live' (to see the button press!), but some others do not. Testing individual models would be needed to confirm that 'off' kills the radio component.
Since the airlines tell you to turn your cellphone off, if the off switch did not kill the radio, the cell network would have a fit as phones on planes would hit many cells at once driving the system to distraction. In addition there is a concern about interference with navigation equipment (all be it recently lessened) but the turn your cell phone off message or to airplane mode means to turn the radio off. When I have the phone off and drive a distance, it takes a bit of time for my dumb phone to figure out the nearest cell. (I have a non smart phone with no data).
Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

iPhones appear to have a "sleep/wake" button. It does not turn off the radio when used briefly, allowing you to receive calls (and be tracked) and allowing it to consume data while you're not looking. In order to turn the phone "completely" off you have to press and hold the "sleep/wake" button and drag an on screen slider. That should turn off the radio. Of course it won't receive calls then. Looks like my Android phone has something very similar. Good thing, since my battery isn't removable.

So yes, if this is what you mean by "off" that would work as well. My DW thinks "off" is briefly hitting the sleep/wake button. As in "how could it be using data? It was off the whole time!"
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I re-read my post and realized that it was misleading if not wrong.

All the phones I have owned can be turned completely "Off". There's no need to remove the battery. However, in normal use the phones cannot be truly "Off", but must really be in "Standby" mode. That was my point, but I did not state it correctly. And many people do not care to know how to turn their phones completely off.

Yes, the iPhone user can turn off the radio link (airplane mode), the WIFI, or the Bluetooth independently. With this capability, other features such as the camera and the music player can be used while maintaining radio silence.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #32

This is a great example of how cell phone tracking can work. A German Green Party politician got 6 months of data collected by the phone company and put together this website illustrating what could be done with the data.

Tell-all telephone | Data Protection | Digital | ZEIT ONLINE
Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just so everyone is clear on this, there are multiple "radios" in the iPhone.

From Apple's website:
Quote:
When you enable airplane mode from the Settings screen, an airplane icon appears in the status bar at the top of the screen and the following wireless connections and services are turned off:
  • Cellular (voice and data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • Location services
If allowed by the aircraft operator and applicable laws and regulations, you can re-enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in airplane mode:
  • Wi-Fi: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi on and choose a Wi-Fi network.
  • Bluetooth: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > Bluetooth, then turn Bluetooth on.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

There are several apps available that let you track your cell phone. There have been several cases of carjacking that were quickly solved because the victims hid there cell phones in the car allowing police to quickly track down the car.
Tom