Cell Phone Question

Also, maybe the family has a reason fro tracking him? You just never know.

-ERD50

In this particular case, the SIL is just a useless human being with nothing better to do than to cause family dissension. He once caused dissension at w*rk and among his "friends" but now NO ONE will voluntarily be near him outside of his family - and that is only because he is related by marriage to folks they DO care about. He lost his (fantastic) j*b because of his uselessness and lives off of his wife now going on 20 years! I'm sure you all know such a person and this guy is THAT guy in spades.

Sorry for the rant!

Actually, I think some programs will report the location based on cell tower info, if GPS isn't available. I'm pretty sure I've seen that with WMD (Where's My Droid", but I have not tested in in along while. Not sure how they know, the phone may have some of this data that is available to the program (at least the freq or channel # they are on - maybe they can map that?).

Also, maybe the family has a reason fro tracking him? You just never know.

-ERD50

I think the "Where's My Droid" type services require an app running on the phone that periodically report the phone's position to some database that is linked to the app and can be queried from elsewhere.

The service providers do not require an APP on the phone and can generally locate a phone by looking at the tower to which the phone connects and the antenna on that tower to which the phone is "connected". The antennae are directional and several are required on each tower to get 360 degree coverage.

To find your Android device you don't need any extra software. Just go to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and login. You will be able to locate your phone, make it ring, lock it, or wipe it clean.

Under the settings on the phone called funnily enough "Location", you can turn this on or off and even share it if you want.

Note the GPS feature was installed so that 911 calls would have good locations from cell phones. A few years ago a lot of money was spent in rural areas making sure that houses had numbers so that when you called 911 from a landline, they would know where you were.

Thanks and that is what I thought when it is OFF it is OFF. Lol The reason for asking is I read more and more about not to carry a phone in pocket for health issues. I carry mine in my front pocket or clipped to my pants. So in Airplane Mode I could leave it ON and I wouldn't be trying to connect and no radiation waves would be admitted with it in Airplane Mode.
My cardiologist advised me not to place a cell phone in my shirt pocket after I had a pacemaker implanted in September of last year. He indicated that a cell phone within 6 inches of the pacemaker could interfere with its operation. He didn't mention Airplane mode on/off but frankly I don't want to risk it. Having my heart stop for a while prior to the pacemaker implant kind of discouraged my wanting to experiment much in this regard.

Am a fan of "Hunted" on CBS. If the runners carry their cell phones, or borrow one from friends (that the hunters know about and have cell number to), their goose is cooked (due to cell tracking).

Nice primer on how authorities track down criminals, (and non-criminals in this case) with cell phone GPS info, license plate tracking (using interstate cameras), private security camera footage (gas stations, ATM machines, etc.) and social media posts.

Back
Top Bottom