Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I probably would have told the lady that offered to donate for me as well to make sure she donated at least $20 because that's how much I would have given!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked for a non-profit for years. It was not unusual for me to see folks asked for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars.

I am not bothered by people asking for donations. I am not bothered by the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Salvation Army, MADD, anybody and everybody parked in front of the grocery store asking for donations.

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

If this bothers folks, then examine your conscience. Why does it bother you?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I worked for a non-profit for years. It was not unusual for me to see folks asked for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars.

I am not bothered by people asking for donations. I am not bothered by the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Salvation Army, MADD, anybody and everybody parked in front of the grocery store asking for donations.

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

It bothers me because it is one more instance of being delayed, where I previously had no delay. If I go to a store and there are no customers, then the delay is very short. If I go to a store and wait in a long line, and then get asked for a donation, I decline, but also feel perturbed knowing that the ten customers in front of me were also engaged for the same purpose.

Feeling this way is normal for me. I am consistently looking for ways to save time, run more efficiently, etc.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it doesn't bother you, fine. But don't throw the conscience card at folks here. People simply do not like being asked for a donation when they are making a business transaction. Not the time and place for it imo.

Around here, most grocery stores don't push for donations at the point of checking out. If they did, I would say no as others have said. I prefer given online or through the mail. But I do give to local charities too. Just don't hold me hostage at the check out line.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #45

Quote:
It's not a conscience issue, it's the annoyance of being asked to donate where I feel it is inappropriate.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #46

Just thought of a similar annoyance--when I get to the checkout of online payment for some companies (GoDaddy, e.g.). I don't really want to go through another screen asking me to add just $.50 to the amount, to fund wooly caterpillar rescue, in order to find the submit button.
My default answer to these intrusions online and in non-virtual life is "No thank you." In my own time, and after consideration, I will donate.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #47

While not annoying to the same degree as what we have been discussing here, I find it mildly annoying the way my state's (New York) income tax forms include a growing list of "voluntary contributions" one can make for various causes. Years ago, it was one or two but now there are EIGHT of them. Besides the printing and processing costs which are borne by us taxpayers, it makes the tax forms longer. When did the state become a fundraiser for so many charities?

Any other states do this the way New York does? At least the Feds don't do this.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #48

Oh well the Wooly Bear Rescue, I forgot about that, sure... is $10 OK?

Here's a good come back that I just thought of and I will use next time -

Sure, I'll tell you what I'll donate $5 if you match it so give me your $5 and I'll put $10 on the tab. OK?

Yeah I thought so!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I wish retailers would ban that tactic in their stores and find other ways to sponsor charity drives.
Yes, it sounds like something best brought to the attention of management. Especially in a highly competitive business (e.g. grocery stores) they might respond to customer complaints. ("I came here to buy groceries and to get out quickly. This charity solicitation didn't contribute to that. If Bill's Grocery wants to give to charity, that is >great<, will warm my heart and might cause me to shop here. But shaking down customers for individual donations doesn't show this company's generosity, it just antagonizes your shoppers").

There's not much point in getting cute/snippy with the person doing the asking--it's just their job. But being "shamed" into giving just makes the drive a "success" and perpetuates the problem.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #50

I make my own decisions as to which charities to support, I don't let retail chains make that decision for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yeah, we need that thread "Comebacks I wish I had thought of at the time"
The French have a great expression, "Avoir l'esprit de l'escalier" which translates literally to "the wit of the staircase." It is used to describe the perfect comeback that you think of too late to be of use, say, while you are descending the staircase while leaving the party.

I'd like to be quick-witted enough to tell the cancer survivor that I accept and appreciate her offer to donate on my behalf, and that I'd reciprocate with a donation in her name when the "Chronic Rudeness" telethon comes.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Small rant alert: Yesterday I was checking out at the grocery store. The little card swiper machine always prompts me to to donate to some thing or other and I always decline but after even after this (partway through the transaction) the cashier asked me if I'd make a donation to support breast cancer research. I HATE these checkout charity solicitations! I responded politely, simply saying no thanks and the woman in line behind me interrupted and said - "I'll donate for both of us; I'm a survivor". Made me feel like a heal! I'm not opposed to breast cancer research (or other causes), I give what I can to various organizations and donate time and services to others but I want to be able to make those choices after vetting the organization and yes, I admit, I take the tax break when ever possible. I wonder if the store soliciting these donations takes that break as well or takes a cut of the donations to manage the funds.... Do you donate when asked this way? Any thoughts about this? Am I the only person that thinks that corporate sanctioned register solicitations rot?
This is the main reason I avoid Walmart. The Walton Family is the richest family in the world. Too bad they stoop to begging from customers when they have the means to help like Gates and Buffet do with their wealth.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #53

I go to Walmart often and I have never been asked if I wanted to donate to a charity but I get it at the grocery store.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I go to Walmart often and I have never been asked if I wanted to donate to a charity but I get it at the grocery store.
It may be a local thing. Here is a breakdown I found.
http://www.nonprofitquarterly.org/ph...es-add-up.html