Checkout charity - do you donate at the register?

Yeah, we need that thread "Comebacks I wish I had thought of at the time"
The French have a great expression, "Avoir l'esprit de l'escalier" which translates literally to "the wit of the staircase." It is used to describe the perfect comeback that you think of too late to be of use, say, while you are descending the staircase while leaving the party.

I'd like to be quick-witted enough to tell the cancer survivor that I accept and appreciate her offer to donate on my behalf, and that I'd reciprocate with a donation in her name when the "Chronic Rudeness" telethon comes.

Small rant alert: Yesterday I was checking out at the grocery store. The little card swiper machine always prompts me to to donate to some thing or other and I always decline but after even after this (partway through the transaction) the cashier asked me if I'd make a donation to support breast cancer research. I HATE these checkout charity solicitations! I responded politely, simply saying no thanks and the woman in line behind me interrupted and said - "I'll donate for both of us; I'm a survivor". Made me feel like a heal! I'm not opposed to breast cancer research (or other causes), I give what I can to various organizations and donate time and services to others but I want to be able to make those choices after vetting the organization and yes, I admit, I take the tax break when ever possible. I wonder if the store soliciting these donations takes that break as well or takes a cut of the donations to manage the funds.... Do you donate when asked this way? Any thoughts about this? Am I the only person that thinks that corporate sanctioned register solicitations rot?
This is the main reason I avoid Walmart. The Walton Family is the richest family in the world. Too bad they stoop to begging from customers when they have the means to help like Gates and Buffet do with their wealth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom