Civil War Started 150 years ago today........

Mason and Dixon were English surveyors who came over here to do land surveying. I don't think they knew at the time that their names would be associated with the North/South thing.
Interesting that it is self-proclaimed Northerners/Yankees who persist in this name calling business. It seems improvident to make claims like "the way Southerners hate people". Doesn't sound like me, and I'm a Southerner. Maybe it is just your family that is rude, but mine isn't. I would no sooner suggest a whole cohort of people "hate" than fly to the moon.

My aunt grew up in Michigan but has lived in Greenwille SC for 37 years. She has a different spin, she says that most "folks from the South" think that Yankees look down on them. Maybe it was that way many years ago, but not today. I have NEVER seen a Confederate flag flying in anyone's yard in Wisconsin, I lived here nearly all my life, and have the state from top to bottom.........:LOL:

Hoosier by birth, Texan for employment. Both like and dislike both places. Consider myself an "American" first and foremost.

From my experience, having lived in Indiana, Georgia, and Texas, there are lots of closet bigots, and quite a few blatant ones as well, out there, but I would say that ignorance knows no boundaries...

Orchid, sometimes I listen to the people in DH's hometown (not in the South by any means) sit around and talk about who other people's grandparents and greatgrandparents were (and what houses they lived in!) and how people are related to each other. Anyone whose family didn't settle there more than a century ago or live on the right street is pretty much either a newcomer or a nobody. They don't hate those people, they just don't care about them. A lot of people in the South have families that go back much further than the Civil War so it's understandable to me that some southerners (like your relatives) are like that. I would wager that people from old New England families are the same way.

Yes, Sarah, I know that Mason and Dixon were surveyors. Just always thought it was amazing that the family still lives in Delaware is all.

Sarah, you are from the South. You have no idea how Southerners treat Yankees unless you know some Yankees and could talk with them. No need to get so defensive.
I KNOW my experience is not unique at all as the really sweet older man who owns that company that fixed my insulation told me he lived in Charlotte, NC, for 10 years and experienced some real prejudice because he's a Yankee. It does exist whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It is just not my mother's family by a long shot.
I have stated on this Board that I experienced some real outspoken prejudice against Yankees many more times than once in Houston. It is what it is.

On the other hand, I've seen my mother and other friends from the South experience some snide remarks from Northerners behind their backs even today. Goes both ways.

And which one of us has gotten their hackles up:confused:?

I will change my verbage to some Southerners hate Yankees, which actually is more appropriate verbage, anyway. Some surely don't or didn't appear to at all.

Yeah, that's the problem...I don't know any Yankees to ask how they've been (mis)treated..what with living in this antebellum bubble down heah in Chas'tun in my hoop skirt and bustle...

I don't think most Yankees would realize they'd been insulted if they even were--the sweetness of the gracious Southern speech would make an insult almost unrecognizable, Shugah*.

*I'm going to call everyone Shugah today in Sarah and the South's honor.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the problem...I don't know any Yankees to ask how they've been (mis)treated..what with living in this antebellum bubble down heah in Chas'tun in my hoop skirt and bustle...

Y'all shor are a persnickety bunch, aincha? Don let dem Yanks fool ya, de wish de had weather like we does. Just tak der money, say good mornin, tip yer cap, and wish dem well. Member, not all da folks in da US can be from da South...........:LOL:

Sounds like the title of the thread is still going on today... :bat:

Let's seddle it down by da see-ment pond!!!!

Sweet potato pie and collared greens anyone? :greetings10:

"American by Birth, Southern by the grace of GOD" is still common bumper sticker here.

I too am a life long Southerner and definitely do not not like somethings about the Souths history but I also would never move any father North than TN. I have actually turned down better paying jobs in the North during my career as its just to cold up there and my blood is way to thin!

Orchid, sometimes I listen to the people in DH's hometown (not in the South by any means) sit around and talk about who other people's grandparents and greatgrandparents were (and what houses they lived in!) and how people are related to each other. Anyone whose family didn't settle there more than a century ago or live on the right street is pretty much either a newcomer or a nobody. They don't hate those people, they just don't care about them. A lot of people in the South have families that go back much further than the Civil War so it's understandable to me that some southerners (like your relatives) are like that. I would wager that people from old New England families are the same way.

I agree.

In the South, we have collard greens. Collared green must be a Yankee dish... :whistle:

Sorry..............gotta spend some more time in Mississippi........:blush:

DH was born in Virginia and we have both lived here most of our lives. There are so many reminders of the civil war here. We've found artifacts like buttons from uniforms from digging in the yard. This anniversary reminds me of the tragedy that happened on the ground beneath my feet so many years ago.

Oh, and we do love our collard greens and grits.:)

Sarah, you are from the South. You have no idea how Southerners treat Yankees unless you know some Yankees and could talk with them. No need to get so defensive.
Interesting. On one hand you're essentially bashing an entire region and its culture, and then you tell someone not to get defensive when they don't care for the stereotype?

Let me repeat: I was born and raised in the South until I was 4 years old. My Mother was raised in the South ALL her life. I have plenty of relatives and friends in the South. And I lived in the South a total of 26 years of my life so far.

Maybe I should get upset since my mother's family was called "rude" in a previous post? Well, I won't because it is the way the poster saw it at that time. And I don't internalize other's opinions so much that I allow outsiders to upset me. I try to remain chill. And opinions change often with time for everyone because they might see the situation different at a different time.

As for me, I am not wasting my time today on this subject anymore.

My great great grandfather & one of his brothers were captured and spent time at Camp Delaware until the end of the war when they were released in a prisoner exchange with the north. I'm proud to be able to say my ancestors were Confederate soldiers who fought for what they believed in. I don't have much patience for those who talk down the south because of their participation in the Civil War. There was a whole lot more on the table besides the issue of slavery.

Speaking of food, I do (did) love Southern Pecan Pie. I say "did" since I'm a T2 diabetic and it's now on my never-never list.

At least I can still have my Scrapple: Pork Mush...The Pennsylvania Treat

I think you have hit upon a common denominator...something that unites North, South, East and West in felicitous agreement: Regional recipes involving pig parts used in various delectable ways.
My father loved scrapple, head cheese, pickled pig's feet, sausages of all kinds. If we had spit-roasted pig on the Christmas holiday, the head would be firmly in front of him and declared (by him) to be the choicest part (much to the horror of my sister and myself). His parents were German immigrants so it is no wonder. Gout was his affliction, though, not diabetes, so organ meats were eventually verboten.

I'm going to call everyone Shugah today in Sarah and the South's honor.

Fine wit' me, dahlin! :ROFLMAO:

(I think the above line by Bestwifeever is the only one out of this thread that I will remember in five minutes - - hysterical! :2funny: )

After all that money spent and lives lost, 150 years later and I still can't get a good Hushpuppy up here in Yankeeland.
However, I did have a good one when I was in Calabash a couple of weeks ago.

Free--the oil must be hot hot hot! They should be lowered quickly into the grease and then drained immediately on paper towels (or even better, newspaper).
I have a wonderfully stained copy of Fearless Frying by the benevolent king of Charleston cookbooks, "Hoppin John" Taylor. His Lowcountry Cooking is another excellent one to learn more about foodways of the South.

Ah, yes, pork, the unifying force for good in the world! But you can forget feeding me scrapple after reading the Florence King anthology that described it in utterly gross detail!

Back
Top Bottom