Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, our first computer (Apple IIGS) didn't have a hard drive either! I should have kept it--who knew it was so cutting edge.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I started using cloud computing quite a bit this year because it allows me to effortlessly keep my data up-to-date across all my devices. In other words, it is very convenient.

So much of my information is already stored online by third parties (financial information, shopping habits, google searches, tax returns, emails,...) that I probably haven't had real privacy for the past 10 years anyways.

I am careful not to put some information on my computer or on the cloud, like my medical history. But there again, my doctor has all my information on his computer and who knows what he does with it or who has access to it.
+1

I have thoroughly embraced the cloud. I use Google products very heavily. GDocs, GCalendar, Gmail, Gphotos, GSites (web page construction/hosting), Youtube, Books, finance, GMusic, Earth, Gtalk, Gvoice, Wallet, and as of yesterday, Gmaps (or the function to create and collaboratively share custom maps that is). All of these, except Google Earth, I use frequently from my android phone as well as desktop or laptop. Having access the the data and being able to share (if and to the extent I want) is more valuable to me than the slight possible risk to privacy.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hey, our first computer (Apple IIGS) didn't have a hard drive either! I should have kept it--who knew it was so cutting edge.
For old times sake, I wish I kept my old Apple Macintosh computer. That was the only real computer that I loved.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here in Canada there are regularions preventing employees of many provincial governments or their agencies from uploading work related material to the cloud.
Are regularions our arch-nemesis, a bit like the Mysterons?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #25

Lots of predictions in this thread.

Just think back to, say 1980, when there were just a small handfull of personal computing platforms, none of which worked very well -- all hobbyst systems. Who in 1980 could have predicted we would be where we are today? How many people then had the attitude like "What would I ever need a computer for?".

It may turn out that the cloud is just something we pass through on the way to something else that hasn't been invented yet.

To quote Thomas Watson: “I think there is a world market for about five computers.”
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

To me it is one of those things that does bother me, but I also know that there is so much information that is on other people's servers that I do not have much if any privacy...

However, the term is a marketing term.... makes it sound like it is out there in space... but in reality it is on a computer somewhere....

Seems to me that we are going back to the past... I am sure there are a lot of people who worked with mainframes on a terminal... all data and programs were on the mainframe (now the cloud) and you could access it from any terminal (now any device) no matter where you were located...

It also seems to be a way for them to get more money from me.... heck, I am still using Office 95 at home.... why pay for an upgrade when I do not need one... but if I paid for renting a program, I will pay forever even if I do not use it much...

PS... Google is the evil empire I want to stay away from them as much as I can...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
PS... Google is the evil empire I want to stay away from them as much as I can...
All the big guys seem about the same to me, seeking growth and profits, but who are the "good guys" in your view?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
All the big guys seem about the same to me, seeking growth and profits, but who are the "good guys" in your view?

There are none.... just some worse than others....

At least others actually delete data on you after awhile... Google does not... ever... (FWIU)...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Seems like Google has gone from being perceived as cool nerdy and hip to being the new evil Goliath in a fairly short span of time.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Seems like Google has gone from being perceived as cool nerdy and hip to being the new evil Goliath in a fairly short span of time.
Depends who you ask. I don't have any problem with them.

-ERD50
Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Depends who you ask. I don't have any problem with them.
+1

I would put a large number of companies on the "evil list" before google.

What's not to love about google? They come out with tons of innovative products, most of which are free. And in general they are easy to use and just work.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the cloud for storing a lot of data. I encrypt all of my files. I am hoping the encryption gives them a higher level of protection.

I love the way I can update all our computers simultaneously using the cloud.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
+1

I would put a large number of companies on the "evil list" before google.

What's not to love about google? They come out with tons of innovative products, most of which are free. And in general they are easy to use and just work.
And Google puts cool Google Doodles on the search page for special days, like this one for 11/30/2011, Mark Twain's birthday (more here: http://www.google.com/logos/):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twain11-hp.jpg (36.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a big fan of TrueCrypt. You can use it to encrypt some or all of your hard drive or USB drive locally and if you want to store stuff in the cloud, just make a virtual encrypted drive and put your stuff on there before uploading it to the cloud. Any would be snoopers can't read the data without the password (and that's assuming they figure out that it's a TrueCrypt virtual drive in the first place since there are no identifying signatures in the file).

It works seamlessly and I like that it's open source, freeware and multiplatform.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

I'd like to put all my pictures and video files online, but places like Facebook scare me because I don't want pictures of family online, even if its my private repository.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #35

I agree with all the positive comments about Google - was just making an observation.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
As I think about it, I can see how ripping off Apple might be seen as evil. The Android interface is clearly an iPhone ripoff and evidently they've already cloned Siri - like another MicroSoft (who also ripped off Apple for decades). I don't have an iPhone or an Android (or a Mac), so based on what I've read...but I can well understand why Apple has filed lawsuits.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As I think about it, I can see how ripping off Apple might be seen as evil. The Android interface is clearly an iPhone ripoff and evidently they've already cloned Siri - like another MicroSoft (who also ripped off Apple for decades). I don't have an iPhone or an Android (or a Mac), so based on what I've read...but I can well understand why Apple has filed lawsuits.
Cloned Siri? I got Google Voice Commands when I bought my phone two years ago - seems like Apple cloned VC. And ripping off an interface? Does that mean the first company to develop a cell phone should have been able to lock in the market for decades? Once a touch screen became possible the touch phone interface was an obvious development. Should the iPad be prohibited from adding a reading app because Amazon was first out with kindle? Android, Windows 8, bring the competition on.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Cloned Siri? I got Google Voice Commands when I bought my phone two years ago - seems like Apple cloned VC. And ripping off an interface? Does that mean the first company to develop a cell phone should have been able to lock in the market for decades? Once a touch screen became possible the touch phone interface was an obvious development. Should the iPad be prohibited from adding a reading app because Amazon was first out with kindle? Android, Windows 8, bring the competition on.
Very hard to draw the line, I agree. The courts will decide what's patent infringement, I have no horse in the race.

Google certainly didn't invent voice commands. But SIRI is far, far beyond simple voice command, another integrated AI attempt. You might be surprised if you experienced SIRI.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

CloudComputingCartoon.jpg
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #40
gone traveling

Regardless of who "owns" the technology, I'm still amazed of what is new.

DW/me just upgraded our 6+ year old cell phones to Windows smart phones and can't get over the idea that you just hit a button, say "phone home" (or any other name in your phone list) and it actually starts a connection.

ET would certainly be impressed with today's technology (i.e. "Phone Home") ...