Join Early Retirement Today

CNN the sixties
Old 02-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CNN the sixties

Anyone watch this. The whole series will air in may but they are running the segment on the british music invasion this weekend. Lot clips and interviews. Beatles, cavern club, Ed Sullivan etc,

The Sixties - CNN.com
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Saw a picture of the Beatles today, and remembered that it's the 50th anniversary of DH seeing them on TV on the Ed Sullivan show!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

I watched it and thought it was a great show. It brought back lots of memories; we watched the Ed Sullivan show every week as a family.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

CNN needs to find something else besides "news" ratings are so poor.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched it and found it to be a trip...seeing the very young musicians, the 1960s cars and planes.... the old recording equipment, the extremely simple TV and concert stages ( compared to today)....The first TV appearances for most of the groups where the musicians dressed in SUITS!!!!!!

How about the really young Mick Jagger, Ray Davies, Eric Burden, all the Beatles....?
ANd Mick Jagger saying he thought they'd last "another year" ( in 1964 or so)!!!!!

I found interesting watching how the group member's appearance changed even in the short time frame of about 1964-1966....you can just see and hear the music changing as it careens towards the Woodstock festival that would come in 1969...

Today we have talentless morons like Mylie Cyrus. And giant overdone stage venues and autotune.

Guess I'm showing my age....

This program, along with the recent one on 1964, is worth watching if you haven't seen it yet, and I am looking forward to the next installment in May....
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I might try to catch it in May. I was born on 1964. The 60s were an eventful decade to be sure but I have grown tired of the Boomer self obsession thing. I have fond memories of the 70s and 80s and would love to see a series on either of those decades for a change.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Don't watch CNN often. I used to open internet to CNN news, but I cannot believe how bad CNN has become on the web. It's like a tabloid with headlines about the stupidest stories, yet they miss what's going on outside the US usually. I've switched to BBC since I'm more interested in the world than US and they hit the big stories in the US anyway.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

My only complaint is that it should have been longer and they shouldn't have cut the songs.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I though it was good although I have seen a lot of the footage before....it is still fun to watch....I was at the Hollywood Bowl when they played.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Don't watch CNN often. I used to open internet to CNN news, but I cannot believe how bad CNN has become on the web. It's like a tabloid with headlines about the stupidest stories, yet they miss what's going on outside the US usually. I've switched to BBC since I'm more interested in the world than US and they hit the big stories in the US anyway.
Like others here I was there in the 60's. My wife and I have been watching "Here's Lucy" the TV show that started in 1969 with her real kids (bought at Costco). I like to see the clothes and cars, and demonstrations comments. Glad to hear about the CNN show, I will check it out.

It is sad what has become of CNN, like so many of the others, seems to be in a race to the bottom. Along with the BBC another site I like is the surprisingly good AlJazeera. I like its clear separation of editorials and news. Like you I am interested in what is happening around the world, and have gotten some of the best news about SE Asia and South America there. They seem to have a good global perspective, in contrast to pretty much all of the US networks.