CNN the sixties

rbmrtn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone watch this. The whole series will air in may but they are running the segment on the british music invasion this weekend. Lot clips and interviews. Beatles, cavern club, Ed Sullivan etc,

The Sixties - CNN.com

Saw a picture of the Beatles today, and remembered that it's the 50th anniversary of DH seeing them on TV on the Ed Sullivan show!

I watched it and thought it was a great show. It brought back lots of memories; we watched the Ed Sullivan show every week as a family.

I watched it and found it to be a trip...seeing the very young musicians, the 1960s cars and planes.... the old recording equipment, the extremely simple TV and concert stages ( compared to today)....The first TV appearances for most of the groups where the musicians dressed in SUITS!!!!!!

How about the really young Mick Jagger, Ray Davies, Eric Burden, all the Beatles....?
ANd Mick Jagger saying he thought they'd last "another year" ( in 1964 or so)!!!!!

I found interesting watching how the group member's appearance changed even in the short time frame of about 1964-1966....you can just see and hear the music changing as it careens towards the Woodstock festival that would come in 1969...

Today we have talentless morons like Mylie Cyrus. And giant overdone stage venues and autotune.

Guess I'm showing my age....

This program, along with the recent one on 1964, is worth watching if you haven't seen it yet, and I am looking forward to the next installment in May....

I might try to catch it in May. I was born on 1964. The 60s were an eventful decade to be sure but I have grown tired of the Boomer self obsession thing. I have fond memories of the 70s and 80s and would love to see a series on either of those decades for a change.

Don't watch CNN often. I used to open internet to CNN news, but I cannot believe how bad CNN has become on the web. It's like a tabloid with headlines about the stupidest stories, yet they miss what's going on outside the US usually. I've switched to BBC since I'm more interested in the world than US and they hit the big stories in the US anyway.

I though it was good although I have seen a lot of the footage before....it is still fun to watch....I was at the Hollywood Bowl when they played.

Don't watch CNN often. I used to open internet to CNN news, but I cannot believe how bad CNN has become on the web. It's like a tabloid with headlines about the stupidest stories, yet they miss what's going on outside the US usually. I've switched to BBC since I'm more interested in the world than US and they hit the big stories in the US anyway.

Like others here I was there in the 60's. My wife and I have been watching "Here's Lucy" the TV show that started in 1969 with her real kids (bought at Costco). I like to see the clothes and cars, and demonstrations comments. Glad to hear about the CNN show, I will check it out.

It is sad what has become of CNN, like so many of the others, seems to be in a race to the bottom. Along with the BBC another site I like is the surprisingly good AlJazeera. I like its clear separation of editorials and news. Like you I am interested in what is happening around the world, and have gotten some of the best news about SE Asia and South America there. They seem to have a good global perspective, in contrast to pretty much all of the US networks.

Back
Top Bottom