Hopping around Premium Channels: Max Choice & Savings

Mo Money

Recycles dryer sheets
I subscribe to Netflix and Prime, and use my cable provider for a $50/month high-speed internet connection to stream movies. Like most people, I am prepared to swear on a stack of bibles that Netflix and Prime's thousands of programming choices are inadequate. :LOL:

So lately, rather than add on an array of financially crushing monthly subscriptions (like Hulu, Showtime, HBO, etc.), I have simply been taking advantage of free trials, and often subscribe to the premium channel for a month beyond the free trial. For example, I subscribed to HBO (available on Prime via subscription). I got a free week's trial, and then let the HBO subscription run for an additional month, at a cost of $16 including fees and taxes. During that five weeks, I have watched the very best of HBO's current catalog. Maybe 50 movies/series episodes. Then I cancelled.

Now, I'm subscribing to Hulu (the commercial-free premium version); I got a one-MONTH free trial, and may or may not subscribe for an additional month for a modest (~$12) fee. Hulu has lots of great programming.

Showtime and many other premium channels are available directly on your smart tv, or via Prime. You can cancel and re-start at any time.

In short, I am paying $12-15 for a month's programming from premium movie channels, but I also am getting a trial period (at least the first time around). AND I am getting a plethora of programming choices.

Anyone else doing this? Anybody have a way of improving this strategy?

Last edited:
We dumped Netflix over a year ago. The quality of the majority of the content was simply terrible. HBO is much better and less expensive ($14.99 per month vs 15.99 per month). Hulu has much better programming.

For paid programming we have:

Locast (all local broadcast channels): $60 donation annually or $5 per month
Hulu: $6 per month
CBS All Access: $60 per year or $5 per month
HBO Now/Max: 14.99 per month
Philo (Viacom cable channels): $20 per month

Total: $51 per month (for both our Southern California and South Florida residences)

Free channels:

PBS
The CW
CW Seed
Pluto
Sky News
Vevo
YouTube
Sony Crackle
Tubi
Fawsome
Xumo
NewsOn

We have HBO with our cable, and I would agree they are reliably good, especially for movies, and some of their own series.

Amazon Prime is pretty good too, especially since we'd be Prime without it so I look at it as free.

Netflix, eh, depends. If you like their original content, great, (ozark, the crown) but I can go long periods where I don't view much there.

Hulu I don't watch much, but I have a few things there.

I doubt many others here have need for Crunchy Roll for anime, but we have that from time to time.

PS, Amex platinum now gives $20 monthly streaming credit which covers a lot of services.

Do you have a family member who is a student? If so, Spotify still has their student deal, $4.99/month includes Spotify Premium subscription + Hulu subscription + Showtime subscription = unbeatable.

https://www.spotify.com/us/student

We tried CBS free for a month, and viewed all we could find on it worth of watching.

I certainly consider it overpriced for what is available, even at $5.00

OP - if you are watching a bunch of free trial channels, you could cancel your Netflix and restart it a month or so later, it will keep all your settings, so you save a month or so of payments.
There is a small issue, that they cancel it effective your payment date, so there is a timing issue, meaning it's easier if you have numerous free channels planned to bing upon.

Back
Top Bottom