Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Comments to "W" from Bill Maher
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
when you ask the president of the united states of america if he had consensual sex utilizing a cigar or if those stains on that dress are from his ejaculation, the duty of the president of the united states of america is to lie.

because there the duty applied not to the person, but to the office.

when a president of the united states of america tells the american people the reason for going to war, the duty of the president of the united states of america is to tell the truth.

because there the duty applied not to the office, but to the people.
It amazes me that grownups (those over 26, hehe) can rationalize when a president should lie under oath.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who cares whether it's constitutional or not? I asked about my chance of winning in '08. The rest is just BS.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
France, Scotland or Nicaragua
Doesn't matter where these places are... They're "blue states" after all... :P

I vehemently oppose a constitutional ban on bl0wjobs!! Plus, I don't think it'll pass...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
I never met anyone 25 years old who'd had enough experience of the world to say anything of any merit whatsoever.

In your case, Justin, I have to assume anyone who's 25 and a neocon has serious emotional issues.
Wow, I really hesitate to criticize another here, but that may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard on the internet. That says a lot

You will be sure to inform out soldiers returning from overseas that their life experiences don't justify an opinion yet
But Saluki, you're only 29 right? That means you can't possibly have anything to say with any merit whatsoever just like me. (Hyperbole folks). Maybe in another 10-20 years you'll obtain the wisdom to pontificate on important subjects like Clinton lied. Under oath.
Yes, sadly I'm only 29. I too will have to wait years before my opinions matter.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

At 51, my opinions still don't matter...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
Quote:
when you ask the president of the united states of america if he had consensual sex utilizing a cigar or if those stains on that dress are from his ejaculation, the duty of the president of the united states of america is to lie.

when a president of the united states of america tells the american people the reason for going to war, the duty of the president of the united states of america is to tell the truth.

It amazes me that grownups (those over 26, hehe) can rationalize when a president should lie under oath.
and it amazes me when grownups (those over 18) can make such a big deal over a blow job.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
Quote:

and it amazes me when grownups (those over 18) can make such a big deal over a **** ***.
...the president of the United States lying under oath?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Do we have to be so specific?

It appears that we could put together an amendment that the christian right can really get behind...oops...I didnt mean to create that piece of imagery.

Anyhow, lets just say that anything that makes an individual feel good, especially if it involves body parts that people usually dont see in public (but not necessarily), that has absolutely no effect on anyone else unless they want it to, is absolutely a no-no and provides for no-warrant, storm troopers crashing through the front door relocation to guantanamo bay. No trial. No fuss. No muss.

Get all of them deviants (that probably aint titheing their 10% anyhow) the heck out of our country!

Not that long ago I posted a list of "presidential lies". There were a lot of pretty good ones, from both democrats and republicans alike. Claims we wouldnt get involved with military actions when we would, didnt do things in other countries that we did, going to war over 'incidents' that never happened, offering help to people and then turning our backs while they were slaughtered.

I cant find that thread, but here they are, just for your reading pleasure:

President Harry Truman, August 6, 1945
The lie: "The first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, in so far as possible, the killing of civilians."
The truth: Though Hiroshima was the headquarters of a number of military units, it was mostly a civilian city. In fact, Hiroshima was rated a low military priority by the U.S. Army; that's why it hadn't been bombed yet. 140,000 people, almost all civilians, died as a result of the bombing.
The excuse: None. He never changed his story
The consequences: None for President Truman.

President John F. Kennedy, April 18, 1961
The lie: "I have previously stated and I repeat now that the United States intends no military intervention in Cuba."
The truth: Not only was the Bay of Pigs invasion organized and funded by the CIA, but Americans flew combat missions as well. One day after Kennedy made the above statement, an American pilot was shot down on a bombing mission over Cuba. Castro recovered the pilot's bodies and kept it -- frozen -- for the next 18 years as proof. (He returned the body when he heard that the pilot's daughter was looking for her father who, she had been told, disappeared on a training flight.) Over 100 Cuban exiles, 14 Americans, and an unreported number of Cubans died in the invasion.
The excuse: None, he never got busted.
The consequences: None (though some folks believe that Cuban exiles played a part in Kennedy's assassination).

President Lyndon Johnson, August 5, 1964
The lie: "As President and Commander in Chief it is my duty to the American people to report that renewed hostile actions against United States ships on the high seas in the Gulf of Tonkin have today required me to order the military forces of the United States to take action in reply."
The truth: There was no unprovoked Vietnamese attack on a U.S. warship. President Johnson ran with the untrue story to gain support for American involvement in Vietnam.
The excuse: None needed. The press didn't follow up until after Johnson left office.
The consequences: None for President Johnson. The lie resulted in the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which authorized the president to use "all necessary measures" to defend U.S. forces. Johnson later compared the resolution to "grandma's nightskirt -- it covered everything." 58,214 Americans died in the Vietnam War.

President Ronald Reagan, November 13, 1986
The lie: "We did not -- repeat -- did not trade weapons or anything else for hostages -- nor will we."
The truth: Reagan approved the sale of over 2,000 anti-tank weapons to Iran in return for promises to release the American hostages there. Money from the sale of those weapons went to support the Contras' war in Nicaragua. (The White House needed this backdoor method to fund the Contras because Congress had banned military aid to them.)
The excuse: "I'm afraid that I let myself be influenced by other's recollections, not my own." The consequences: Reagan was a lame-duck president his last two years in office, but no administration official ever served prison time for the scandal. (The only person to serve time as a result of the scandal was Bill Breeden, who stole a "John Poindexter Street" sign in his town and held it for $30 million ransom, the amount of money made from weapons sales to Iran. He spent a few days in jail.) Over 70,000 Nicaraguans died in the war between the Contras and Sandinistas.

President George HW Bush, Spring 1991
The lie: Encouraging the Kurds to rebel against Hussein, offering air support and troop protection
The truth: Our troops stood idly by while Husseins forces, too depleted by the gulf war to suppress the Kurds rebellion, used chemical weapons on them and slaughtered them. But we did use this action, which we put into motion, as one of the excuses for the current Iraq war
The excuse:None offered. Pretended it never happened.

Clinton: lied about a personal matter that came to light because he may have been involved with some funny real estate deals that turned out to either be legit or not illegal enough to prosecute successfully.

I'm working hard to find anything else Clinton really ****ed up on. If thats the best that a Bush supporter can come up with to counter the cluster**** that this presidency has produced, I think thats a moral victory for the libs.

And sure...Gore and especially Kerry make me wanna puke. Theres no salvation there. I'd be willing to bet that 9/11 still happens, the economy and stock markets still go south, we're probably in afghanistan but not iraq, and we manage to get help to New Orleans before Walmart does. And we're spending cycles trying to fix things that are broken rather than flapping our lips about **** that only vocal PAC's and lobby's are interested in. We'd probably also be paying more in taxes and have plenty of new stupid social programs that wont help anyone either.

We'd also still have guns, still have abortions, and everyone that wants to could still go to church every day of the week and pray for the heathens who arent living their lives the way they SHOULD.

We probably wouldnt have illegal wiretaps, warrantless searches, and people arrested and held without charge or trial.

I better stop before I convince myself to vote for a frickin liberal in the next election just to try to rebalance things out :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #69

Edit:

Wasn't this thread about our SITTING President? That's Bush, right? I know Clinton got a blowjob but what does that have to do with the deficit, expanding federal government, or the Downing Street Memo?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

I've been good lately. *Ignoring the political threads that get us nowhere. *The sides are too polarized. *Neither can admit any weakness in their positions. *Once in a while people say "they are all liars and crooks" but that doesn't get us anywhere either.

Clinton should have refused to answer the sex questions as unseemly and irrelevant.

You can amend the constituion to provide anything--an amendment can never be unconstitutional. *

Justin enjoys effing with us.

I find it interesting in the rare cases where people change their mind about a President. I know a person who is very conservative, both fiscally and on social issues. *Of course he voted for Bush and he has been a major Bush supporter. *I have been the recipient of many Bill and Hillary jokes from him for years. *He has now changed his mind on Bush. *He believes spending is out of control and cites Bush's failure to use his veto power. *He believes the war in Iraq is poorly run. *He believes that times of war are times of sacrifice and there is no sacrificing going on. *

But he would never vote for a democrat. *

I want a president that will not turn his back on genocide in Rwanda and now Darfur. *Did Africa fall off the map? *

I want a president that values a "kinder gentler" America where we take care of our own, through strong social security programs, national healthcare, reasonable minimum wage, and strong schools. * I want someone who will take on the tough lobbies/special interests and say a spending item is not in the interest of our country as a whole. *I want someone who doesn't bend the evidence to fit an agenda. *The evidence should come first. *Then the agenda.

FWIW.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

You stinkin' commie.

Some earlier thread quoted a study that showed how people brains reacted when hearing political statements that agreed or disagreed with their own world view. Those opposed would only activate certain portions of the brain while those in line would set the brain off like a Christmas tree!

Debating politics is a largely useless labor.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You can amend the constituion to provide anything--an amendment can never be unconstitutional.

Justin enjoys effing with us.
Dang. I was wondering how long before somebody figured out the obviousness that a constitutional amendment CAN'T be unconstitutional, because it becomes the constitution. Although the Supreme Court is progressively breaking new ground all the time

Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been good lately.
That's only your opinion. I'd like to hear what Greg thinks about your self-aggrandizing statement of positive behavior.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

What Martha said.

Also, as I have matured, I try to judge political leaders on competence and loyalty to the founding principles, rather than on party affiliation or blind ideology.

I am concerned, and would be regardless of party affiliation or other labels.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I want a president that will not turn his back on genocide in Rwanda and now Darfur. Did Africa fall off the map?
I would like that too, but when did Africa ever fall on the map? Not much oil, not much in the way of strategic resources. Hardly even worth bombing. Except, of course, for a couple of cruise missles at a Khartoum pharmaceutical factory. Which upset me far more than Clinton's bj. I had the good fortune to travel through the Sudan in 1979, between civil wars. Everytime I read about Darfour, I get depressed.

the Sudan has been having bloody civil wars for decades, which have largely consisted of brown-skinned Muslims from the north whomping the **** out of darker Christian and animists in the south and trying to impose Shariya. Another example of what happened as a result of British generals sitting down for teatime and drawing lines on maps without regard for the ethnic groups occupied in their colonies.

Despite all the "freedom is on the March" speeches, it only ever seems to march on where there are strategic resources to control.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #76

Quote:
I want a president that will not turn his back on genocide in Rwanda and now Darfur. *Did Africa fall off the map?
Are Rwanda and Darfur important to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan? He hasn't done anything either and he is African. I would think he could do just as much if not more than Bush.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40

Are Rwanda and Darfur important to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan?* He hasn't done anything either and he is African.* I would think he could do just as much if not more than Bush.
Really. The UN's inaction is inexcusable.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
The thing that makes me love GWB is not the tax cuts, not the war on terrorists, and not his attempt to repeal the estate tax. What makes me really love him is how mad he makes leftists.

Hey, saluki, you came pretty close to my feelings about Bush: I like him 1/3 for killing terrorists, 1/3 for pissing off leftists, and 1/3 for effect

Of course, that leaves out a number of reasons to dislike him, but it's still funny
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

What about the other third?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #80

The fourth third?

Is that like Robert Bolt's "third alternative"?

/dorky reference