Comparing Texas Power Prices Again

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow, I thought choosing a power company sucked 4 years ago. It looks impossible now. Power to Choose lists the new customer promotional prices for service. So far I can't tell what the companies are charging their current monthly customers. And there are many more companies with many more plans. It's a freakin' confusopoly.

My first year in this TX apartment I had a contract plan with Green Mountain, but ever since then I've been on the fence about moving within 12 months and as a result avoided signing a contract, and my rates have been high for a while. My current rates are 80% higher than what they advertise on Power to Choose , but the only reason I know that is because I'm a current customer. They don't seem to volunteer their non-new-customer rates, and those are the ones I'm most concerned about.

So there are 224 options for my new place, ranging from $0.05 to $0.14 per kWH, all temporary new-customer prices. I guess I have to read 224 terms of services to make an intelligent choice?!? I just want a company that will give me a fair price without my having to watch them like a hawk or switch companies every time the contract is up. Which one is that?

(Edit: No multilevel marketing plans, and I'm in the DFW Oncor service delivery area. Also, I'll have gas in the new place and haven't yet figured out if anybody bundles electricity and gas plans. I counted 224 choices by exporting my choices to CSV/Excel and then looking at the highest row number. I'll probably prefer paying actual usage rather than a smoothing/average plan, but I'm not 100% either way yet. I was willing to pay a little more for green power 4 years ago, but right now I may go with a company that burns radioactive-cigarette-smoking kittens in plastic bags with oil-soaked coal for energy if they don't crank up my rates the moment I'm not looking.)

(Edit 2: Gas heater, gas water heater, gas connection for dryer but currently own electric dryer, electric kitchen, gas patio grill.)

Back
Top Bottom