Computer Gurus - How do I get rid of this function?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I use Windows 7 with Firefox and use the right mouse function a lot to cut and paste and also to correct flagged misspellings. Occasionally I get the pictured box when I right click and I'll be darned if I know why or how I can get rid of it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 31
Can't you simply click on any "white space" outside the box to get it to disappear?
Yea, it disappears, but what I want is a box with cut and paste options when I right click. Sometimes I have one box, other times the other, but I'm not smart enough to understand why.

I only get that pop-up. Maybe use Chrome or a different browser?

Or make sure you have actually selected/highlighted something to copy. If you have only move the cursor (selection point) to the start of a selection, then you have nothing to "copy".

Last edited:
If you are trying to cut/copy or spellcheck, you haven't selected a text block. If you are trying to paste, you haven't selected a place you can paste to, or perhaps there is nothing in the buffer to paste.

I think what you want to do is select something first, then right click on the selection. So highlight what you want to copy, right click should (might) have a copy option. Right click on something that's not selected and you don't have anything to copy, so it won't give you the option to copy in the menu.

What's on that menu is controlled by where your mouse is on the page when you right click. It's called the "context menu" because it changes according to the context in which you are using it.

Copy functions appear if you have selected (highlighted) some text prior to right clicking. Paste will appear if you right click in a text box or text area after having copied something. Spellcheck also appears if you right click in a text box where you are allowed to type.

Try this: scroll to the Quick Reply box on this page and right click your mouse over the area where you can type your message. Then move your mouse outside that box into the white area that surrounds it and right click again. You should see different options on the menu because of the different contexts.

I think what you want to do is select something first, then right click on the selection. So highlight what you want to copy, right click should (might) have a copy option. Right click on something that's not selected and you don't have anything to copy, so it won't give you the option to copy in the menu.

^ What he said.

Thanks for the insightful replies.

What happens to me most often is that I want to post a link in Facebook. I highlight the url of the page I want to link to in another open window, then right click on the highlighted url and select "copy". Then in Facebook I right click, expecting to select "paste", but instead all I get is the pictured box.

What I'd really love is to banish this box all together as I never use it.

You probably know this, but you can accomplish a copy and paste on a PC by:

After highlighting the item/link, hold down "Ctrl" and hit the letter "c".

Click on the spot you wish to paste to, then hold down "Ctrl" and hit "v" to paste.

You probably know this, but you can accomplish a copy and paste on a PC by:

After highlighting the item/link, hold down "Ctrl" and hit the letter "c".

Click on the spot you wish to paste to, then hold down "Ctrl" and hit "v" to paste.
Good tip. What drives me crazy is that it doesn't happen all the time. I feel like the lab rat that gets random shocks. :(

It seems to always come up with the "copy" box for me if, after highlighting what I want to copy, I allow the cursor to stay on/over the highlighted area when I right click.

Last edited:

+1

That's the way to do it. :flowers:

That looks like the default context menu (the "right-click" menu) for Firefox, though I can't say for certain as I don't have FF handy right now. Anytime you see a View Source option that generally is the default context menu for a web page app (browser, etch). You may be mis-right-clicking on the item you intended to select, copy & paste; resulting in the text selection getting de-selected prior to you right-click.

My tech support friends used to use "PEBKAC": Problem Exists Between Keyboard (mouse, in this case) And Chair. Yuk yuk

What happens to me most often is that I want to post a link in Facebook. I highlight the url of the page I want to link to in another open window, then right click on the highlighted url and select "copy". Then in Facebook I right click, expecting to select "paste", but instead all I get is the pictured box.

Just a guess from someone running linux right now..... when you go to paste the link in FB... make sure you left click in the edit area where you want to paste the link. I suspect you place the mouse cursor where you want to paste the url... but without left clicking... you are not in edit mode where you want to insert it. I've been working with my MIL who has this problem on her Mac.

You should be able to test this by trying to bring up the context sensitive menu ( the right click that you do) just after left clicking in your reply box and again after left clicking on an area that you can't edit. One would expect the context sensitive menus would be different. If you're still having problems after that, let me know and I'll boot up my Windoze 7 machine. I'm usually on linux or Windows 8.1 laptop.... or linux running in a Vbox on the Windows 8.1 machine...

:blush:

I use Windows 7 with Firefox and use the right mouse function a lot to cut and paste and also to correct flagged misspellings. Occasionally I get the pictured box when I right click and I'll be darned if I know why or how I can get rid of it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
What occurred was this:
- you selected the URL in the address bar
- you right-clicked away from the selected URL
- the selection was deselected
- you got the page context menu

To fix:
- select the URL in the address bar (one click)
- right click without moving the mouse
- select Copy from the pop-out menu

It's even faster if you:
- directly right-click on the URL
- select Copy from the pop-out menu

There is a really great add-in called Easy Copy. Talking Firefox, and not sure of other browsers.

After you install it, you can actually set it up to grab the page title and the URL in one click. It comes with built-in functions to get all the links on the page, all your tab links, and so on.

Or you can make other custom templates, like I just did for the link below. Once I made the template (really easy), I right-clicked and selected my template from a flyout menu.

Easy Copy
see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/easy-copy/.

Facebook gets really weird sometimes. They constantly make updates without testing them well, and just try to patch them in a hurry when they break something. I think it was someone here that pointed out that the billion+ users are not their customers, it is their advertisers. Anyway, ctrl-c ctrl-v seems to work more reliably for me.

...............It's even faster if you:
- directly right-click on the URL
- select Copy from the pop-out menu...........

Actually, this is exactly what I do. The problem comes when I go to paste the link into Facebook. No amount of left or right clicking gets rid of the pop up box shown in my initial post.

Actually, this is exactly what I do. The problem comes when I go to paste the link into Facebook. No amount of left or right clicking gets rid of the pop up box shown in my initial post.
Esc key should clear that popup when you see it. If it doesn't, and that's the only problem, I apologize for the following explanations.

Once you place your cursor inside an object in FB, you are subject to whatever coding practices they employ. And your browser is also interacting with the clipboard. Short description:

- you select and copy something, it goes on the program's clipboard.
- you switch to another program and the clipboard info must fit that program's clipboard expectations (format, content, etc.).
- somewhere in that trip, your OS is taking care of the clipboard contents.

As your simple copy and paste passes through that maze, it may get transformed, and even be unavailable to some programs. Some things are not possible. For example, a copied picture can't be pasted into a text edit box.

Things come to mind.
- If it is just a link, the URL might be unsafe, meaning it is not formed in a way that FB likes.
- It is more than a link. Say you copied from a web page, pasted that in Word, fixed some things, spell-checked, etc. Then you copy and paste to FB. You actually may have hidden code picked up along the way, and FB or your browser is not allowing it.

If you search - facebook can't paste url, you'll see a lot of commentary on FB, about the clipboard and various browsers. FB is changing their approach constantly, and this is in reaction to unsafe things users do, even accidentally. FB also interprets what you paste, and examines the links for unsafe content. FB also browses to the link you paste and tries to find the target, and retrieve some of the content.

So, it's complicated, because what you copy has to be handled by the originating program, your OS, the browser, and the app running in the browser.

Too much info, but it will help you narrow down the source of your annoyance.

Just a guess from someone running linux right now..... when you go to paste the link in FB... make sure you left click in the edit area where you want to paste the link. I suspect you place the mouse cursor where you want to paste the url... but without left clicking... you are not in edit mode where you want to insert it. ...

I think this is it. It fits what the OP described, he actually did not say he clicked to activate the 'edit/paste' mode'.

-ERD50

What happens to me most often is that I want to post a link in Facebook. I highlight the url of the page I want to link to in another open window, then right click on the highlighted url and select "copy". Then in Facebook I MUST FIRST CLICK OR HIGHLIGHT WHERE I WANT TO COPY, AND THEN...right click, [-]expecting to select "paste", but instead all I get is the pictured box.[/-]
AND EVERYTHING WORKS JUST FINE!

see my BOLD edit above to explain my previous post.

-ERD50

Thanks to all for your patient explanations. Since the issue doesn't occur all the time, I'll try the suggestions and see if I can get a workaround routine going.

I really think most or all of it is due to facebook quirks, if that's where you always see it. I run into far more problems like that on FB than anywhere else.

Just as a follow up, hitting the escape key does the trick perfectly. Thanks so much for the help. :flowers:

I haven't taken time to read the above dialogue.

But when I want to Copy and Paste, I just use the old DOS method of highlighting the data, then hitting Control and C for copy and Control and V for Paste. I will highlight then hit Control and X to Cut something and Control/V to Paste.

To print a document, I hit Control and P and then Enter--or click on Print in a box.

Back
Top Bottom