Constant Happiness???

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
An ex-coworker of my, quit his postition in the office and got a new job. He apparentely is a "big shot" in his office, GS-14 in the government. Anyhow, we're still kept in touch and it seems like once every other months he called me up and says "... i am so happy, i am very successful, i can not wait to go to work, i am making a difference, and i am always happy..". At the begin i was truthfully happy for him but what's up with calling me and telling me how happy you are "constantly":confused:?

I was just wondering if I am being negative, bitter, jealous or what? :rant: Does anyone here constantly remind everyone around you how happy you are? I thought happiness is 90% internal.

Signed

Enuff
Mr. Bitter

An ex-coworker of my, quit his postition in the office and got a new job. He apparentely is a "big shot" in his office, GS-14 in the government. Anyhow, we're still kept in touch and it seems like once every other months he called me up and says "... i am so happy, i am very successful, i can not wait to go to work, i am making a difference, and i am always happy..". At the begin i was truthfully happy for him but what's up with calling me and telling me how happy you are "constantly":confused:?

I was just wondering if I am being negative, bitter, jealous or what? :rant: Does anyone here constantly remind everyone around you how happy you are? I thought happiness is 90% internal.

Signed

Enuff
Mr. Bitter

Uhh..what's with you complaining because he's so happy he feels like telling those he believes are his friends that he's happy? I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reaction. Shoot, find out if they've got any more of those happy jobs where he works, then you can be happy too!

Signed

Enuff
Mr. Bitter

Hmm. GS14 in charge of drug disposal? or methinks he doth protest too much? or his other job really sucked and his last contact with you is at his quit time, so that's the only topic he feels is still common with you?

I know since I left my former employer, I'm as happy as can be! I go back once in a while to visit and shoot the sh*t, and usually one of the guys will tell me to wipe the stupid smile off my face and quit being so happy! I just tell them "Sorry 'bout that.....but I'm just sooo happy I don't w*rk here anymore and have to put up with all the BS you guys still have to!!!" To which they respond, "@sshole!" :2funny:

(BTW, we all get along fine....it's all done in jest.)

Signed

Enuff
Mr. Bitter

Sounds like he may be fishing to see if you wanna come work where he is?

Hey, I'm a GS 14 and leaving in a couple months. I am happy on the job and I expect I will be happy in retirement. I'm just a happy guy. maybe its genetic, I sing all the time, drives my teenager nuts; he says:"Dad's having another happy attack". Has little to do with the job, happiness is 90% internal, maybe 100% IMHO.

I tell my coworkers that I love my current job. It comes from the previous job being sooo awful. The job he has probably is just the best fit he's ever had so he's still amazed by it.

He's not constantly telling you that, he's telling you that on alternate months.

He doesn't call you when he's thinking "I hate my life. I'm a government drone and a loser. I hate my job. I wish I were dead."

Be grateful for that.

I retired as a GS-14. Believe me, I was far from being a "big-shot". I had a whole lot of responsibility but very little authority. I once looked at a gov't organization chart that showed I was 6 levels down from the President, the head of the Executive Branch. The my boss was a career civil servant but all the levels above him were political appointees. Maybe that was why I was so....

Grumpy

It's just that his "happiness" seems insincere in someway. If he is just a positive person, no. it really does not annoy me. But he's maniacally happy, I start to wonder what the deal is.....

on the personal level, he told us that his wife might be permanently disable due to an accident at work. we know them well and felt sad with the news. maybe his "constant happiness" at work is a positive behavior that everyone can use including me.

He could be just super happy that Street Fighter 4 is coming out. I know I am!

It's just that his "happiness" seems insincere in someway. If he is just a positive person, no. it really does not annoy me. But he's maniacally happy, I start to wonder what the deal is.....

on the personal level, he told us that his wife might be permanently disable due to an accident at work. we know them well and felt sad with the news. maybe his "constant happiness" at work is a positive behavior that everyone can use including me.

How sad!! Maybe he is just trying to find some happiness in his life to balance his worry or sadness.

Or, maybe his agency is shorthanded and he is really hoping to attract you over there, to help him out.

I know when I first got my federal job, I was just bubbling about how great it was to anyone that would listen. Of course, that was before I really settled in and realized that it wasn't all gravy. :2funny:

Boh. Do you talk about anything else? Maybe his perception of old job was just so bad he can't believe his new luck and really wants to share it with someone. If he's a good friend, be happy for him. Maybe it's a way for him to communicate: "what the heck are you still doing stuck there?".. tightasadrum is onto something.. ask him objectively what makes his work life better there compared with your old place, and see if there are any openings, if it sounds appealing.

OTOH given the other difficulties in his life maybe he's just trying hard to AC-CEN-tuate the positive, E-LIM-inate the negative. There's some psychological evidence that you can "talk yourself into" (or out of) "happiness."

imagessnl-stuart-smalley-small.jpg

I say he absolutely hated his job before with a passion (or his boss).

An old high school chum always said how great his life was whenever we spoke after graduation. After a while, I secretly began to doubt that things were all that great.

My friend was fired from a "great" job with a small company when it became known that he was having an affair with a married employee. That wasn't so great.

We sort of competed with each other for good grades in high school and I suspect he felt like we were still competing in adulthood.

We need more positive people around even if they have to "fake" it. I will definitely to to work on mine. A friend of my said once "it's hard to void whinners, they are everywhere"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom