Join Early Retirement Today

Consumer Reports Automobile Reliability Report is Out
Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consumer Reports Automobile Reliability Report is Out

Hey, W2R! We have been vindicated! Consumer Reports says all those fancy touch screens and other doo-dads are causing problems and reducing reliability ratings. Honda really dropped. The turbos are part of it, but there are other issues.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...bility-survey/

Drive that Venza another ten years!

Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Hey, W2R! We have been vindicated! Consumer Reports says all those fancy touch screens and other doo-dads are causing problems and reducing reliability ratings. Honda really dropped. The turbos are part of it, but there are other issues.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...bility-survey/

With the exception of a few cars being reported to have suspension and hard shift problems, the bulk of complaints are for the infotainment systems and A/C/heat controls. Goes to show you that the mechanical reliability (the stuff that makes the car go) is not that big an issue with the vast majority of car brands.

"Sir: What's the biggest issue with your $90,000 Audi Q7 SUV?"

Owner: "Well, when streaming my Pandora from my phone, the screen sometimes locks up! What the heck, why can't AUDI make a reliable car?"

Old 10-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Yes I am just out new car shopping and have been looking carefully at the CR Reports. Has been interesting to shop the new cars.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #4

Yet another reason I'm hanging on to my 2003 GMC pickup truck. I am not a fan of lots of bell's 'n whistles that are expensive to fix when they break. I just want a reliable vehicle.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

"Sir: What's the biggest issue with your $90,000 Audi Q7 SUV?"

Owner: "Well, when streaming my Pandora from my phone, the screen sometimes locks up! What the heck, why can't AUDI make a reliable car?"

Yeah, I donít know why they donít program a reset/reboot switch into these things. So many of the issues Iíve had were solved by restarting the car. Of course thatís not possible whilst one is driving so it turns into a frustrating experience.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yet another reason I'm hanging on to my 2003 GMC pickup truck. I am not a fan of lots of bell's 'n whistles that are expensive to fix when they break. I just want a reliable vehicle.
My 1998 Ford F150 Lariat PU with 47K miles on it is plenty for me. Plus, it's not loaded up with 7 computers and gobs of electrical sensors. I did put a touch screen radio in it though for Bluetooth and also installed a backup camera. Those upgrades cost me $295 from Crutchfield (self install).
Old 10-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree. They need a "bullsh!t delete" option where you get radio and heater controls that are easy to adjust without looking.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I can’t remember when I’ve bought any car without consulting CR, and I’ve never bought a car that wasn’t at least better than average. YMMV

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
YAY! I just KNEW it. Plus, they take all the fun out of driving (for me). I hope this means that some manufacturers may reduce the unnecessary electronics gadgets.

Quote:
I just might. I only have 29,600 miles on it in the past nine years, and in ten years I'll be 80 and probably be driving a lot less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
+1000 EXACTLY!! Hang on to that pickup. It's better than any new vehicle I seem to be able to find today.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Complicated unreliable HVAC systems (simply because of their controls) really ticks me off!

Give me a knob.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Yeah, I donít know why they donít program a reset/reboot switch into these things. So many of the issues Iíve had were solved by restarting the car. Of course thatís not possible whilst one is driving so it turns into a frustrating experience.
Great point. Several times I've had Apple's CarPlay freeze up and say it can't detect my phone. So, I'm forced to either continue without audio, google maps, etc. or pull over and restart the engine.

I know it's a first-world problem, but irks me nonetheless.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I canít remember when Iíve bought any car without consulting CR, and Iíve never bought a car that wasnít at least better than average. YMMV

My Honda Crv was highly rated by CR and it was a dog . The air conditioning went at 35,000 miles and the paint was coming off in chunks .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

I've had 6 new vehicles in the past 5 years and haven't had any mechanical or electrical problems with any of them. (2 Toyota's trucks, 1 GM car and 3 FCA SUV's) I like all the latest bells, whistles, gadgets and especially the latest transmissions and supercharged engines.

My biggest issue is remembering how things work when switching between vehicles. Common things like wipers, cruise control, lights, etc, are usually activated by switches, knobs, buttons, in different locations on different vehicles. Heck even the nav systems and XM radios work different between vehicles. At least the accelerator, brake pedals and steering wheels are all in the same places. (so far)

I'll admit that the latest infotainment/configuration systems are getting pretty complex and sometimes finding what you want in all the menus can get a little frustrating.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Great point. Several times I've had Apple's CarPlay freeze up and say it can't detect my phone. So, I'm forced to either continue without audio, google maps, etc. or pull over and restart the engine.

I know it's a first-world problem, but irks me nonetheless.
It may be a 1st world problem, but it leaves me wondering if the people who design these products actually use them.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Honda Crv was highly rated by CR and it was a dog . The air conditioning went at 35,000 miles and the paint was coming off in chunks .
If you read the CR links above, you will see that Honda has been talking the lumps recently in the ratings.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Complicated unreliable HVAC systems (simply because of their controls) really ticks me off!

Give me a knob.
My 2017 Buick is a pretty good blend. Knobs/buttons for heat/AC/fan, knob for radio volume, and I think pause, back, forward. Other radio/flash-drive-audio stuff is through the touch screen - it's pretty lousy for anything beyond just switching stations (which can be done through buttons on the steering wheel too).

The navigation system is mostly a joke in terms of the user interface (included in the trim level I wanted - I never would pay for it). I can use my phone and Google maps if I plug it in through USB, and Google maps now supports off-line maps, so I don't need to eat up data with the navigation.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
My biggest issue is remembering how things work when switching between vehicles. Common things like wipers, cruise control, lights, etc, are usually activated by switches, knobs, buttons, in different locations on different vehicles. Heck even the nav systems and XM radios work different between vehicles. At least the accelerator, brake pedals and steering wheels are all in the same places. (so far)
I should comment on this under pet peeves. I have two Chevy's. On one, the switch on the left is the wipers. On the other car, that exact same switch is the lights. So when it rains, I turn off the lights. I can't believe the engineers of the same company used the exact same switch for two different purposes - especially the lights and the wipers. It's not just in the same location, it's the exact same switch (location, feel and operation).
Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Give me a knob.

My sentiments exactly. Good news is that many of the manufacturers seem to be getting the message. The Subarus, Mazdas and Toyotas I looked at all had knobs for both heat and fan settings. A few even had knobs for the mode setting. Progress!! I had a 2018 Honda Civic as a rental recently and it was a total touch screen radio disaster. I am a life long Honda/Acura driver and didn't even look at the Hondas this time around. The infotainment system on our Odyssey was such a pain and the Civic experience sealed it.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Funny as I was talking to one of my sisters who has a new Tundra... said that when she is driving the nav system will freeze at times... has to reboot it over and over...

The dealership said they have not heard about it, but sis said it is a complaint on a number of forums...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I canít remember when Iíve bought any car without consulting CR, and Iíve never bought a car that wasnít at least better than average. YMMV
You proved me wrong, because on another thread I said "Who pays attention to CR for automotive purchases?"

I still say their hey day was 20 or 30 years ago. Since this is a retirement forum CR probably is well read by our members. But I'm skeptical too many 20 or 30 year olds are checking CR for advice about anything.

I did read it today. Checked out from the library, of course.

Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote