Costco Selection?

Costco is a perfect example of the kind of place that makes it great to be retired. You can pick a time to go when the lunch rush and the hordes of weekend warriors aren't invading and the experience can be a fair bit more, shall we say, sane. :)

We don't have a Costco near us, but there is a contingent of retirees that hang out in the local Sam's club. :cool: After lunch they move over to Home Depot and look at the tools they wish they could still use.

Reading all these posts makes me wish we had a Costco nearby. Our closest one is about 35 miles away and it's in a high traffic area that I try to avoid.

My parents joined Costco when one first opened near them in the 1990's. They told me they'd go there to shop and they would graze all the samples instead of making lunch. I remember my Dad being so excited about all the bargains that he bought 24 grapefruits and offered me half of them. I only had room for a few but I remember they were very good.

I have a TJ's a few blocks away, Winco is in route to the Costco near NIKE. What not to love!

Anyone know how often selection changes at Costco? Is it mostly new every week or so like an Odd Lots or mostly consistent like Target, or something in between? I hope I can count on having much the same selection from one week to the next (changing slowly over months, years), but I don't know.

I did try Google, didn't find an answer, probably bad search terms.
Many food items are available year round. Some fruits and veggies are seasonal. A few items change in the refrigerated section. Most of our regular items we are able to buy each week (or two weeks which is our usual frequency)

My BIL and his wife like to go to Costco on Saturday around noon. They call it "going to the dim-sum".

I usually avoid that peak time, but once on an RV trek happened to stop at a huge Costco in California at a weekend lunch time for refueling. We intended to have a slice of pizza for lunch, but after the "dimsum", and they had a lot to offer there, decided to skip the pizza. :)

Regarding the gas price, it is interesting to know that it may not be the lowest local price in some places. I will have GasBuddy available enroute in my next RV trek to check the price, which I had taken for granted that it was always the lowest.

Net of rebates of 3-4%?? On average price of 3.50/gal, that is another .10/gal or more.
Nwsteve
3% rebate is available at any gas station with the Costco AMEX card.

I don't believe Costco gas counts towards the executive 2% rebate.

I have a TJ's a few blocks away, Winco is in route to the Costco near NIKE. What not to love!

Remarkable to leave Costco with a few items rattling around in the bottom of the industrial-sized cart having spent $75-100, then go to Winco and stock up on Veg and bulk foods and piles of staples and load bag after bag in the car, having spent $25-35.

There's a special store near us that's called "AJ Fine Foods". Going there, and you will think that Whole Foods is for riff-raff. I could not find imported Spanish chorizo and bomba rice at Whole Foods, but AJ got them (if you have the money!).

My, it would be nice to shop for groceries at AJ exclusively, as my brothers joked. I guess if one has that money, then he can also use XO cognac for mouthwash, as my brothers also joked.

I don't plan to go to Costco on a Saturday again if I can avoid it. It was manageable but weekdays have to be better...

I don't plan to go to Costco on a Saturday again if I can avoid it. It was manageable but weekdays have to be better...
Yes, weekends can be crazy!

Went to the Costco North Atlanta yesterday (Sunday) and OMG it was so packed! The huge parking lot was completely full and the aisles jammed with carts. All checkout lanes were open so at least that didn't take too long and no wait in the gas lane.

Our home Costco is not that crazy busy, but we usually go on weekdays. Even Friday mid-day can be a bit busy in our area as all the snacking Winter Texans come out of the woodwork.

I decided to join a Costco 60 miles from my house..closest one to me. I have doctors appts. there from time to time. I got the Executive membership but was told if my rebate at the end of the year didn't cover the extra $55 for it, they would reimburse that amount. Great customer service and the $55 was given back. I go there whenever I go to Tallahassee and keep a running list of things to get that I don't get at Sam's in Valdosta...the closest one, 22 miles. I'm in a very rural area, lol

We use the Costco AMex for all fuel purchases, and an occasional restaurant or travel expense where the 2% rewards matches our Fidelity AMEX.

We use the Fidelity AMEX 2% rewards for most purchases, including our non-gas purchases at Costco. Better reward (Costco AMEx is 1%) and we don't have to wait a year to get the cash reward.

My favorite use of the Costco AMEX - buying diesel for our motorhome. That 3% really adds up when you are buying $250-$300 of fuel at a time at a truck stop. I was so happy when I verified that we got the gas reward rate.

Remarkable to leave Costco with a few items rattling around in the bottom of the industrial-sized cart having spent $75-100, then go to Winco and stock up on Veg and bulk foods and piles of staples and load bag after bag in the car, having spent $25-35.

We may have income tax but we not only have no sales tax but we also have the best shopping options one could imagine. For those who want the higher end grocery offerings New Seasons is giving Whole (Paycheck) Foods real competition in our area.

I believe that Wal-Mart is building a store next to the Tigard Costco. That retail war will be interesting to watch.

It's fun living in Oree-gun.

I believe that Wal-Mart is building a store next to the Tigard Costco. That retail war will be interesting to watch.

Yes they are. I was out there today and construction has started.

We are in the process of buying a car through Costco and I love it. I just emailed Costco with the type of car I wanted to test drive and they sent an automatic email telling me which dealer would contact me. Then the dealer contacted me and I showed up to test drive. So far, I've tested Jeeps, Toyotas and Subarus. The price is pre-determined based on the brand and model.

I will never go back to haggling my own price.
The last car I bought I used Costco, But I figured they couldn't go up from the Costco quoted price, but they could go down.

I wound up buying much cheaper than the cheapest Costco price, from that Costco network dealer who gave me the best final net price.

I was very happy with the car, until it got totaled by an ilegal running from the police on a robbery charge. Actually I was happy even then, as I did not get hurt, and with 5 years on the car the insurance company gave me within $3000 of what I had paid.

Ha

Last edited:
So negotiated down from Costco price?
Yes; I don't remember how much, but maybe $1000 or so. It was meaningful to me anyway. And this was a reasonably popular Japanese car.

I usually find that as long as I am respectful and understanding of the salesperson's needs, s/he can be very accommodating.

Ha

> Costco gas is always cheaper by $0.10 to $0.20

It depends. Back in the bay area Costco was always cheaper and had the long lines to show for it.

Here in Ohio, Costco isn't always cheaper. But the lines aren't long either ;-)

I use GasBuddy to track prices and around here they tend to spike (creep downward, then one day they go 25¢). When I see the spike, I usually go by Costco because they don't adjust their prices during the day and I have a chance to get the lower price before it goes up.

One the other hand, I now have a diesel car and our local Costco is gasoline only. BUT on our recent trip our west I saw a Costco in Bakersfield that was offering diesel with a sign saying "now offering diesel" implying it's a new thing. So maybe there is hope for it here.

Back
Top Bottom