Join Early Retirement Today

Coyote problem
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Coyote problem

Our community in central Texas has a coyote problem. I've caught several on my trail cameras in the backyard. Really have to watch out for our small pets. Someone on our community site suggested this sign as educational and for safety issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60404363_10217181569423908_8615170797629079552_n.jpg (94.4 KB, 119 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #2

We have forested areas around and also have coyotes. Sadly, people need to learn to keep their cats inside at night, we have many missing flyers around.
In the past few years, I have had one run down our street in broad daylight and about 530 am saw a pack of 5 running down a road as I was off to work!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

we have coyotes bigly - keep those pets inside!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We have coyotes here in N MI as well. Plus bears that tear up bird feeders. I had to fence our garden to keep out elk, lol.

Still beats the city living though, lol.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have them in town now. When the big guy was alive I didn’t worry but always go out with the babies since we lost him.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

Much less of a concern than wolves.
Look on the bright side.
davebarnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Coyotes are everywhere. Unless you let small pets roam or have chickens, they mostly keep to themselves and are nocturnal.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Got Coyotes, Wolves and Bears in my back yard. The craxy thing is they aren't even really afraid of a freight train which elludes to there stature and character. The train comes by and they just hop along right by it. If a train doesn't scare it my hootin and hollering probably won't do much but make me look foolish. I have a neighbor that tries to trap em. Fine by me.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #9

My neighborhood uses Nextdoor to warn of coyote sighting locations. Some have seen small pets of others killed when out for early morning walks. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately this is a recent problem in my area and my old cats have already passed. I want my next cat to be an indoor pet but that is hard to do if you adopt a stray or a cat that is used to being outside.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

Coyotes and the adjective "ubiquitous" were made for each other here in the lower 48 + Alaska. No amount of hunting/trapping/poisoning is going to make any impact on the population - local or overall. In Craig Childs' wonderful book, "Animal Encounters", the chapter on coyotes was eye-opening.

We had an outdoor cat that got "coyoted". As all have said, best to keep your pets indoors at night.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My neighborhood uses Nextdoor to warn of coyote sighting locations. Some have seen small pets of others killed when out for early morning walks. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately this is a recent problem in my area and my old cats have already passed. I want my next cat to be an indoor pet but that is hard to do if you adopt a stray or a cat that is used to being outside.
Ah, Nextdoor. The wildlife issue has blown up on our local Nextdoor. You get preachers from both sides (exterminate the predators, save the predators) tell us fools what to do about it.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

What always impressed me was how fast Wile E. Coyote got the stuff he ordered. No idea what he paid for Acme Prime, but it certainly worked for him.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard reports of coyotes in New Orleans, but neither F nor I have actually seen one in New Orleans. He saw something strange coming out of the swamps out in eastern New Orleans, shortly after Katrina, but from his detailed description it looked more like a chupucabra than a coyote (so who knows what it was).

However I have encountered a variety of other animals in my yard including possums, raccoons, wharf rats, squirrels, giant ravens, egrets, the occasional house cat, and at least a half zillion lizards of several species.

I don't like going out there at night, and have no reason to do so. However when F walks over here after dark (from his house next door) he carries an LED flashlight and a firearm. Not sure if the latter is for rabid raccoons or for two legged predators, but he was born and raised in New Orleans and that is apparently what people normally carry here when walking outside after dark.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #14

When we were in New Orleans our beautiful Airbnb cottage and the main house were behind the 12 foot fence with spikes on top. The gate had a security code and once in you dead bolted the gate. She told us fine to walk around during the day but to Uber home once dark. We felt safe. I think the crime rate is high for that city. Our Nextdoor warns about coyotes also.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Coyotes are cool, listen for them during their season. These creatures love sex, they can't be all bad.

Them, foxes, bears and lions all threaten stray critters. Our little shitzhu was out back last fall growling at a 150 male lion as it strolled through the neighborhood. Oddly there's a semi-feral cat that lives on the canyon rim, he's been there 3 years I know of.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #16

Little dogs are not very bright)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We hear coyote choirs all the time in our neighborhood and at my Dad’s in GA. At our place the Taps broadcast from the veterans cemetery in the evening usually sets them off.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

That sign is genius.

irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote