Coyote problem

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our community in central Texas has a coyote problem. I've caught several on my trail cameras in the backyard. Really have to watch out for our small pets. Someone on our community site suggested this sign as educational and for safety issues.

Attachments

• 60404363_10217181569423908_8615170797629079552_n.jpg
    60404363_10217181569423908_8615170797629079552_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 119
:LOL:
We have forested areas around and also have coyotes. Sadly, people need to learn to keep their cats inside at night, we have many missing flyers around.
In the past few years, I have had one run down our street in broad daylight and about 530 am saw a pack of 5 running down a road as I was off to work!

we have coyotes bigly - keep those pets inside!

We have coyotes here in N MI as well. Plus bears that tear up bird feeders. I had to fence our garden to keep out elk, lol.

Still beats the city living though, lol.

We have them in town now. When the big guy was alive I didn’t worry but always go out with the babies since we lost him.

Coyotes are everywhere. Unless you let small pets roam or have chickens, they mostly keep to themselves and are nocturnal.

Got Coyotes, Wolves and Bears in my back yard. The craxy thing is they aren't even really afraid of a freight train which elludes to there stature and character. The train comes by and they just hop along right by it. If a train doesn't scare it my hootin and hollering probably won't do much but make me look foolish. I have a neighbor that tries to trap em. Fine by me.

My neighborhood uses Nextdoor to warn of coyote sighting locations. Some have seen small pets of others killed when out for early morning walks. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately this is a recent problem in my area and my old cats have already passed. I want my next cat to be an indoor pet but that is hard to do if you adopt a stray or a cat that is used to being outside.

Coyotes and the adjective "ubiquitous" were made for each other here in the lower 48 + Alaska. No amount of hunting/trapping/poisoning is going to make any impact on the population - local or overall. In Craig Childs' wonderful book, "Animal Encounters", the chapter on coyotes was eye-opening.

We had an outdoor cat that got "coyoted". As all have said, best to keep your pets indoors at night.

My neighborhood uses Nextdoor to warn of coyote sighting locations. Some have seen small pets of others killed when out for early morning walks. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately this is a recent problem in my area and my old cats have already passed. I want my next cat to be an indoor pet but that is hard to do if you adopt a stray or a cat that is used to being outside.

Ah, Nextdoor. The wildlife issue has blown up on our local Nextdoor. You get preachers from both sides (exterminate the predators, save the predators) tell us fools what to do about it.

What always impressed me was how fast Wile E. Coyote got the stuff he ordered. No idea what he paid for Acme Prime, but it certainly worked for him. :LOL:

I have heard reports of coyotes in New Orleans, but neither F nor I have actually seen one in New Orleans. He saw something strange coming out of the swamps out in eastern New Orleans, shortly after Katrina, but from his detailed description it looked more like a chupucabra than a coyote (so who knows what it was).

However I have encountered a variety of other animals in my yard including possums, raccoons, wharf rats, squirrels, giant ravens, egrets, the occasional house cat, and at least a half zillion lizards of several species.

I don't like going out there at night, and have no reason to do so. However when F walks over here after dark (from his house next door) he carries an LED flashlight and a firearm. Not sure if the latter is for rabid raccoons or for two legged predators, but he was born and raised in New Orleans and that is apparently what people normally carry here when walking outside after dark.

When we were in New Orleans our beautiful Airbnb cottage and the main house were behind the 12 foot fence with spikes on top. The gate had a security code and once in you dead bolted the gate. She told us fine to walk around during the day but to Uber home once dark. We felt safe. I think the crime rate is high for that city. Our Nextdoor warns about coyotes also.

Coyotes are cool, listen for them during their season. These creatures love sex, they can't be all bad.

Them, foxes, bears and lions all threaten stray critters. Our little shitzhu was out back last fall growling at a 150 male lion as it strolled through the neighborhood. Oddly there's a semi-feral cat that lives on the canyon rim, he's been there 3 years I know of.

We hear coyote choirs all the time in our neighborhood and at my Dad’s in GA. At our place the Taps broadcast from the veterans cemetery in the evening usually sets them off.

Back
Top Bottom