Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
When I bought my shinny red Sears a Craftsman lawn tractor I thought this baby is going to last me forever. . . . . . .

My hatred for that money pit tractor was shared equally by the Mrs. Then one faithful day my neighbor said hey my mother is selling her John Deere. I had that red Sears pile of junk sold and off my property in three days. People were fighting to get it too. The wife suggested we give it away. When the purchaser drove away with it on a little trailer. I was tempted to make a gesture to the tractor but I took the high road.

So far my John Deere is a delight, that 2 cylinder Japanese engine hums like a race car. It is heaven. In my house words craftsman and Briggs and Stratton are like talking sedition.

The truth is I love their tools but Sears and I have a score to settle.
Truth is that old Craftsman lawn tractor was probably made by Murray Ohio. And they went out of business owing Briggs and Stratton $40 million for engines. Briggs liquidated the assets and inventories and made another fortune. They were always inferior products.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My dad told me he returned a rake and got a new one. I guess a rake is a hand tool.
A number of years ago I managed to split the wooden handle of a Craftsman shovel. When I took it to the store, they told me that model with the wood handle wasn't made any more, and offered me a Sears brand wood handle shovel. I pointed out that there was a fiberglass Craftsman model, but they didn't want to give it to me because it cost significantly more. After I made a stink about it, they reluctantly gave me the better Craftsman one.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what one of the salesman told me, there are Craftsman tools and there are other tools sold in Sears that are not Craftsman... he said that if it is listed as Craftsman it is under the warranty....

I bought a water pump to pump out the hot tub... I paid bit extra for the Craftsman....

BTW, the warranty will probably be no good soon... Sears is going down (as it has been for many years) and is close to being dead... probably a couple more years and it will be gone.... anybody remember Montgomery Ward?
Add KMart to that list of Sears owned companies. We have a top 10 Walmart and 1/2 mile away the KMart is like a ghost town. They're a sticks and brick corporation that's days are numbered.

Better get those adjustments on Craftsman tools while they're there to give you a replacement.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard brands are actually owned by a separate entity that could be sold or spun-off and might preserve those brands even if Sears goes under.

The New Alchemy At Sears - Businessweek

From Sears Holdings 2014 Form 10-K:

Quote:
....In May 2006, a subsidiary of Holdings contributed the rights to use the Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard trademarks in the U.S. and its possessions and territories to KCD IP, LLC, an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Holdings. KCD IP, LLC has licensed the use of the trademarks to subsidiaries of Holdings, including Sears and Kmart. Asset-backed securities with a par value of $1.8 billion (the "KCD Securities") were issued by KCD IP, LLC and subsequently purchased by Sears Re, the collateral for which includes the trademark rights and royalty income. Payments to the holders on the
KCD Securities are funded by the royalty payments. The issuers of the REMIC Securities and KCD Securities and the owners of these real estate and trademark assets are bankruptcy remote, special purpose entities that are indirect wholly owned subsidiaries of Holdings.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhh Montgomery Ward. I worked there when I was 17 yrs old. I still have my Powercraft combination wrenches, Some of them anyway.

I bought a Craftsman Table saw in the 70's that I still have and use. The only thing replaced on it was the blades. I just sold, yeah I said sold, a Craftsman compressor that I got about 30 years ago. that poor thing!

Sadly, I don't think anything I buy today will last me 30-40 years. Heck, I probably won't last that long!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
A number of years ago I managed to split the wooden handle of a Craftsman shovel. When I took it to the store, they told me that model with the wood handle wasn't made any more, and offered me a Sears brand wood handle shovel. I pointed out that there was a fiberglass Craftsman model, but they didn't want to give it to me because it cost significantly more. After I made a stink about it, they reluctantly gave me the better Craftsman one.
My dad had a similar experience. Broke the wood handle on a shovel - they provided a new handle. Then that broke and they replaced it with the fiberglass model.

I've heard that the power tools haven't been covered for years.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

It does look like it is only hand tools that have 'Hand Tool Full Warranty' where you get a free replacement.... it does look like it is complete satisfaction, not a defective tool....

CRAFTSMAN (or CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL) HAND TOOL FULL WARRANTY
If this Craftsman (or Craftsman Industrial) hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.

Warranty Information - Craftsman
Old 01-17-2016, 03:49 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My Dad gave me a set of Craftsman tools when I left home in the late 70's, and I bought most of the hand tools I own back then - they are all still with me, and I take good care of them. The Craftsman tools of today are not quite the same quality, so I hope mine never break. You simply can't buy ratchet wrenches as good as mine from Craftsman today.

Without my knowledge, some of my production employees took back a (large) Craftsman 3/4" socket wrench with a broken ratchet mechanism, and got a replacement no problem. Having caught them also using the ratchet as a hammer many times, I told them never to go back and ask for a free replacement again. They didn't see anything wrong with what they'd done - thought they were clever.

Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Craftsman
Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 AM   #29

Craftsman

The failure of the tractor camshaft after so few hours is evidence of using inferior steel (I'm thinking China too). What makes me the most angry at year two the service rep came to my house and kept adjusting the values. It was failing then after only two years and they knew it. JUNK relying on prior reputation. - it couldn't be sadder.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The failure of the tractor camshaft after so few hours is evidence of using inferior steel (I'm thinking China too). What makes me the most angry at year two the service rep came to my house and kept adjusting the values. It was failing then after only two years and they knew it. JUNK relying on prior reputation. - it couldn't be sadder.

And I got eleven years hard service out of my Craftsman lawn tractor. I cut an acre, and I get it done as fast as I can, no coddling. Also used it to do core aeration for most of those years, and that is pretty tough on a lawn tractor, I had to weigh the aerator way down to get good penetration, really working that engine.

Only ever had to do a little routine maintenance, and I skipped much of the preventive maintenance on it, which saves a lot of money (why replace a fuel filter that isn't clogged, or a spark plug that still sparks?). One battery change, maybe 2 in 11 years? A belt, a cable that broke, one pulley with a bearing that went out, a fuel hose that got brittle (1' of standard hose from the local auto store). No complaints from me.

I replaced it with a Craftsman mower, and that's been running well for 2 years now, and might outlast my motivation to cut my own lawn.

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
..............Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.
Yea, maybe, but I think most of Sears' problems are self inflicted. In their time, they were the Amazon of this country and they whizzed it all away. They already had the name, the catalog network, the shipping logistics knowledge plus the brick and mortar stores to dominate the market.

Back in the 80s and 90s the Sears auto repair units were known for fraud, including upon yours truly. Sears to Repair Image With $46 Million in Coupons : Retailing: It may be the largest such consumer fraud settlement ever. California auto centers will be on probation for 3 years. - latimes

So, I shed no tears over making them honor their warranty, as written.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Which power or hand tools, are covered by what warranty - some are lifetime, some not. However, the new tools may not be as good as the ones you already own.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My Dad gave me a set of Craftsman tools when I left home in the late 70's, and I bought most of the hand tools I own back then - they are all still with me, and I take good care of them. The Craftsman tools of today are not quite the same quality, so I hope mine never break. You simply can't buy ratchet wrenches as good as mine from Craftsman today.
It's most definitely true that the ratchets have declined in quality. The 1/4-inch drives are especially weak. I've got a broken one in my tool box that I got as a replacement as a previous one broke. I also find the ratchet mechanism is quite a bit cruder than an older Easco ratchet I picked up second-hand.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Without my knowledge, some of my production employees took back a (large) Craftsman 3/4" socket wrench with a broken ratchet mechanism, and got a replacement no problem. Having caught them also using the ratchet as a hammer many times, I told them never to go back and ask for a free replacement again. They didn't see anything wrong with what they'd done - thought they were clever.

Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.
I recall people not taking the time to find breaker bars and just use Craftsman ratchets instead. The standard excuse was "I'll go to Sears and get a new one".
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #35

Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I replaced it with a Craftsman mower, and that's been running well for 2 years now, and might outlast my motivation to cut my own lawn.
-ERD50
I don't doubt you got great service out of yours ERD. That's exactly why I am still peeved. There was a point there where the service technician disconnected the lights. He said there was a known issue with the wiring harness - causing the machine to short out. I believe I just bought a bad model.

I just won't give them one more dime of my money...

Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #36

When I was a kid i remember Sears second class tools were not Craftsman but Dunlop. Think they went away. I pretty much have avoided Sears since maybe around 1980. At that time I had purchased a router and a saber saw and both were absolute pieces of crap. I migrated to Makita and other similar brands for power tools and the quality was much better. I will say I still have wrenches and socket sets from them that I purchased in 60's and inherited from father dating to 50's. All are great quality, never had any defect other than some chrome plating peeling off, not a big deal. Never have had need to use their warranty although I suppose there were some worn screwdrivers I could have swapped.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

From what I remember the cheap Sears tools were called "Companion".

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
.... anybody remember Montgomery Ward?
Oh yes. We bought a lot of stuff from them since their store was a lot closer than a Sears store. My mother even worked there for a short time. I still have some inherited Montgomery Wards tools. They had the same lifetime warranty as the Sears ones. I guess the "lifetime" warranty only means the lifetime of the company issuing it.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh yes. We bought a lot of stuff from them since their store was a lot closer than a Sears store. My mother even worked there for a short time. I still have some inherited Montgomery Wards tools. They had the same lifetime warranty as the Sears ones. I guess the "lifetime" warranty only means the lifetime of the company issuing it.
I used to lust after their cool motorcycles. I think they were some kind of Italian motorbikes that they re-branded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MW Motorbike.jpg (218.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #40

All the Sears stores in my area have shut their doors, including in one of the largest malls in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum