Craftsman

A number of years ago I managed to split the wooden handle of a Craftsman shovel. When I took it to the store, they told me that model with the wood handle wasn't made any more, and offered me a Sears brand wood handle shovel. I pointed out that there was a fiberglass Craftsman model, but they didn't want to give it to me because it cost significantly more. After I made a stink about it, they reluctantly gave me the better Craftsman one.
My dad had a similar experience. Broke the wood handle on a shovel - they provided a new handle. Then that broke and they replaced it with the fiberglass model.

I've heard that the power tools haven't been covered for years.

It does look like it is only hand tools that have 'Hand Tool Full Warranty' where you get a free replacement.... it does look like it is complete satisfaction, not a defective tool....

CRAFTSMAN (or CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL) HAND TOOL FULL WARRANTY
If this Craftsman (or Craftsman Industrial) hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.​

Warranty Information - Craftsman

My Dad gave me a set of Craftsman tools when I left home in the late 70's, and I bought most of the hand tools I own back then - they are all still with me, and I take good care of them. The Craftsman tools of today are not quite the same quality, so I hope mine never break. You simply can't buy ratchet wrenches as good as mine from Craftsman today.

Without my knowledge, some of my production employees took back a (large) Craftsman 3/4" socket wrench with a broken ratchet mechanism, and got a replacement no problem. Having caught them also using the ratchet as a hammer many times, I told them never to go back and ask for a free replacement again. They didn't see anything wrong with what they'd done - thought they were clever. :mad:

Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.

Last edited:
The failure of the tractor camshaft after so few hours is evidence of using inferior steel (I'm thinking China too). What makes me the most angry at year two the service rep came to my house and kept adjusting the values. It was failing then after only two years and they knew it. JUNK relying on prior reputation. - it couldn't be sadder.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

The failure of the tractor camshaft after so few hours is evidence of using inferior steel (I'm thinking China too). What makes me the most angry at year two the service rep came to my house and kept adjusting the values. It was failing then after only two years and they knew it. JUNK relying on prior reputation. - it couldn't be sadder.

And I got eleven years hard service out of my Craftsman lawn tractor. I cut an acre, and I get it done as fast as I can, no coddling. Also used it to do core aeration for most of those years, and that is pretty tough on a lawn tractor, I had to weigh the aerator way down to get good penetration, really working that engine.

Only ever had to do a little routine maintenance, and I skipped much of the preventive maintenance on it, which saves a lot of money (why replace a fuel filter that isn't clogged, or a spark plug that still sparks?). One battery change, maybe 2 in 11 years? A belt, a cable that broke, one pulley with a bearing that went out, a fuel hose that got brittle (1' of standard hose from the local auto store). No complaints from me.

I replaced it with a Craftsman mower, and that's been running well for 2 years now, and might outlast my motivation to cut my own lawn.

-ERD50

..............Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.

Yea, maybe, but I think most of Sears' problems are self inflicted. In their time, they were the Amazon of this country and they whizzed it all away. They already had the name, the catalog network, the shipping logistics knowledge plus the brick and mortar stores to dominate the market.

Back in the 80s and 90s the Sears auto repair units were known for fraud, including upon yours truly. Sears to Repair Image With $46 Million in Coupons : Retailing: It may be the largest such consumer fraud settlement ever. California auto centers will be on probation for 3 years. - latimes

So, I shed no tears over making them honor their warranty, as written.

Which power or hand tools, are covered by what warranty - some are lifetime, some not. However, the new tools may not be as good as the ones you already own.

Warranty Information - Craftsman

My Dad gave me a set of Craftsman tools when I left home in the late 70's, and I bought most of the hand tools I own back then - they are all still with me, and I take good care of them. The Craftsman tools of today are not quite the same quality, so I hope mine never break. You simply can't buy ratchet wrenches as good as mine from Craftsman today.

It's most definitely true that the ratchets have declined in quality. The 1/4-inch drives are especially weak. I've got a broken one in my tool box that I got as a replacement as a previous one broke. I also find the ratchet mechanism is quite a bit cruder than an older Easco ratchet I picked up second-hand.

Without my knowledge, some of my production employees took back a (large) Craftsman 3/4" socket wrench with a broken ratchet mechanism, and got a replacement no problem. Having caught them also using the ratchet as a hammer many times, I told them never to go back and ask for a free replacement again. They didn't see anything wrong with what they'd done - thought they were clever. :mad:

Acts like that by many others have probably helped lead to the demise of the once great Craftsman brand/quality/policy...we get what we deserve.

I recall people not taking the time to find breaker bars and just use Craftsman ratchets instead. The standard excuse was "I'll go to Sears and get a new one".

I replaced it with a Craftsman mower, and that's been running well for 2 years now, and might outlast my motivation to cut my own lawn.
-ERD50

I don't doubt you got great service out of yours ERD. That's exactly why I am still peeved. There was a point there where the service technician disconnected the lights. He said there was a known issue with the wiring harness - causing the machine to short out. I believe I just bought a bad model.

I just won't give them one more dime of my money...

When I was a kid i remember Sears second class tools were not Craftsman but Dunlop. Think they went away. I pretty much have avoided Sears since maybe around 1980. At that time I had purchased a router and a saber saw and both were absolute pieces of crap. I migrated to Makita and other similar brands for power tools and the quality was much better. I will say I still have wrenches and socket sets from them that I purchased in 60's and inherited from father dating to 50's. All are great quality, never had any defect other than some chrome plating peeling off, not a big deal. Never have had need to use their warranty although I suppose there were some worn screwdrivers I could have swapped.

From what I remember the cheap Sears tools were called "Companion".

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

.... anybody remember Montgomery Ward?

Oh yes. We bought a lot of stuff from them since their store was a lot closer than a Sears store. My mother even worked there for a short time. I still have some inherited Montgomery Wards tools. They had the same lifetime warranty as the Sears ones. I guess the "lifetime" warranty only means the lifetime of the company issuing it.

Oh yes. We bought a lot of stuff from them since their store was a lot closer than a Sears store. My mother even worked there for a short time. I still have some inherited Montgomery Wards tools. They had the same lifetime warranty as the Sears ones. I guess the "lifetime" warranty only means the lifetime of the company issuing it.
I used to lust after their cool motorcycles. :LOL: I think they were some kind of Italian motorbikes that they re-branded.

Attachments

• MW Motorbike.jpg
    MW Motorbike.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
All the Sears stores in my area have shut their doors, including in one of the largest malls in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I took in a box of rusted and dull Craftsman screwdrivers and traded them in for all new ones. The salesman initially said that rusty and dull did not qualify, but I had sneakily printed off a copy of the Craftsman guarantee which plainly states "if at any time you are not satisfied, free replacement". By this time a bunch of salespeople had gathered including the manager. They almost wept as I carted off the new ones.

I've traded in numerous split sockets with no grief. They will always try to give you a crappy replacement ratchet if you let them. During slow times I think they make the staff rebuild them.

One could argue people like you are one of the reasons warranties like this are rare and perhaps companies that offer them are struggling.

One could argue people like you are one of the reasons warranties like this are rare and perhaps companies that offer them are struggling.
One could argue that, but in the case of Sears, you would be wrong. See my earlier post about how Sears ran a fraudulent business in their auto repair shops and how they gave away their position of leadership in catalog (now online) selling, not to mention their failed business model for the brick and mortar stores.

And by the way, I was one of those people that they ripped off with their auto service center schemes.

Last edited:
From what I remember the cheap Sears tools were called "Companion".

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Looks like we're both right; except it was Dunlap not Dunlop!

A brand of Sears, Roebuck & Co., made by Atlas Press, Central Specialty (later King-Seeley), Double A Products, and others. The Dunlap brand was first used in 1941, replacing the earlier Companion brand. It was reportedly named after the head buyer in the hardware department of Sears Roebuck.

Sears | Dunlap - History | VintageMachinery.org

All the Sears stores in my area have shut their doors, including in one of the largest malls in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We have a mall here from 1967 that has 3 anchor stores, Macy's (formerly O'Neils/May Co/Kauffmann's), JC Penney and Sears. The Macy's store will be closing in a few months and our Sears store has been a "sad Sears" for years. The JC Penney went very quiet when they went through their "we don't have sales anymore" phase. I haven't been back in a long time, but I'm not a shopper anyways.

When our sons were young and growing rapidly I did most of their clothes shopping at the Sears and JC Penney. There was a good kids shoe store in the mall and a good selection of other typical mall stores. It was a nice mall with a good selection of basic stores and some amenities like a food court and movie theater. Sad to see it changing, but time passes and shopping sure has evolved.

Last edited:
One could argue that, but in the case of Sears, you would be wrong. See my earlier post about how Sears ran a fraudulent business in their auto repair shops
And by the way, I was one of those people that they ripped off with their auto service center schemes.

I am truly sorry you were ripped off but if we all sink to lowest common denominator we will turn into Brazil or Mexico.

I am truly sorry you were ripped off but if we all sink to lowest common denominator we will turn into Brazil or Mexico.
I have no regrets, but thanks for the moral guidance.

And Brazil and Mexico are lovely places with wonderful people.

We should all keep in mind that when a product comes with a warranty the cost of that warranty is built into the price of the item (i.e. Craftsman wrench). You pay for the warranty at purchase time. If you never use (take advantage of) what you paid for, that's your decision.

We should all keep in mind that when a product comes with a warranty the cost of that warranty is built into the price of the item (i.e. Craftsman wrench). You pay for the warranty at purchase time. If you never use (take advantage of) what you paid for, that's your decision.
Exactly so. It is a calculated risk by the seller that the additional sales will offset the cost of returns. I prefer Costco and LL Bean, for example, because of their great, no questions asked return policies. While I don't abuse that privilege, I don't hesitate to return something if it truly disappoints.

Interestingly, I once bought a Craftsman yard rake with a lifetime warranty and when it broke, I was given one that only had a one year warranty. I asked where the lifetime warranty that I had paid for went, the Sears clerk informed me I had not purchased the warranty, Sears had given it to me and therefore had the right to take it back. :LOL:

Interestingly, I once bought a Craftsman yard rake with a lifetime warranty and
when it broke, I was given one that only had a one year warranty. I asked where
the lifetime warranty that I had paid for went, the Sears clerk informed me I
had not purchased the warranty, Sears had given it to me and therefore had the
right to take it back.

The limits of marketing. Ya gotta love it!

Back
Top Bottom