David Bowie, RIP

Wow. I am really sad and shocked by this. A great talent. He released his most recent highly regarded album on Friday, his 69th birthday. This is a song from it, Lazarus.

Wow. I am really sad and shocked by this. A great talent. He released his most recent highly regarded album on Friday, his 69th birthday. This is a song from it, Lazarus.

Wow. That looks like a planned farewell song.

On Saturday mornings, while using the elliptical, (or even if not), we listen to The Acoustic Storm Acoustic Storm :: The Best Variety of Acoustic-Rock on our local radio station; two days ago, coincidentally, they featured David Bowie.

(Said to DW that, no matter how many times I listen to "Space Oddity", somewhere in my mind I'm always hoping it'll work out differently for Major Tom........puts an end to that, I guess.)

I remember wearing out my vinyl copy of Bowie's album "The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars".

A major artistic force

Bowie was a major artistic force and massively influenced popular and modern music, art and culture.

I have been a fan since I was about 10, old enough to listen to my friend's older sister's records in 1974 before getting my first vinyl and record player as a kid and going on my own explorations.

I'm sure some of you would also know he was a major financial innovator. He was the first artist to leverage his own intellectual property and asset catalog in a royalty lease arrangement. Add financial innovator to the list of attributes.

He was a great genius who shaped rock music to a huge extent. He will be missed!

And at only 69! That seems so young to me. I think the article said it was after an 18 month bout with cancer and if so then he went really fast. I wonder what I was doing 18 months ago. :(

He will be missed.

Sad news.

My album was "Hunky Dory", 1971. I was 16.

an 18 month bout with cancer and if so then he went really fast.

Is that fast? My late wife, who was only 52, died within less than 7 months after being diagnosed......I guess it depends upon how soon it's detected.

Spiders from Mars on the turntable in the dorm room. Also, I saw him at Madison Square Garden for the Diamond Dogs tour. Class act.

Is that fast? My late wife, who was only 52, died within less than 7 months after being diagnosed......I guess it depends upon how soon it's detected.

Maybe not, then. It sure seems fast to me. My only anecdote with relation to terminal cancer, is my father. At diagnosis his doctor said he was in very dire straits already, and gave him only 3 weeks or less to live. He lasted about 18 months like Bowie. I would have thought that a rock star who could probably afford the best possible medical treatments would live longer, but no.

Maybe not, then. It sure seems fast to me. My only anecdote with relation to terminal cancer, is my father. At diagnosis his doctor said he was in very dire straits already, and gave him only 3 weeks or less to live. He lasted about 18 months like Bowie. I would have thought that a rock star who could probably afford the best possible medical treatments would live longer, but no.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread, but my exposure, (although I learned more than I ever wanted to know during my wife's battle), has been limited, so I'm unsure as to what is 'fast' and what isn't.

It also depends on the type of cancer.

What a shock and disappointment. I just bought an album of his yesterday. :(

RIP David, and thanks for all the great music.
_B

It also depends on the type of cancer.

Yes. I wonder about it. He was a smoker for many years and stopped I think a little over 10 years ago.

Way back in 1983 I paid $250 to have front row seats to a concert of his. It was an amazing performance. Worth every penny to me.

Yes. I wonder about it. He was a smoker for many years and stopped I think a little over 10 years ago.

When I Googled it a few minutes ago, Google came up with a website that said the rumor was that it was lung cancer. :(

I read this somewhere else.

"If you feel sad, remember the world is 4.54 billion years old & you managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie "

I like that.

Reactions: W2R
I've played several Bowie songs over the years in various bands. He's a talent that will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom