Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #41

A little dose of happiness on a friday afternoon

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Here's the obligatory Everything is Amazing and Nobody is Happy video:

"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" - Video Dailymotion
Very funny Louis CK bit, thanks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Would be a waste of time IMO and not the main topic of this thread. I much prefer to think positive and remain positive. It's Friday, I came back home early for lunch, no more patients to see today, enjoying a beer. Enjoying my time off and feeling happy !
So glad you are relaxing, enjoying your time off, and feeling happy! Life is good and meant to be enjoyed.

And here is some information that may be helpful to all. In order to decrease aggravation and increase our enjoyment of daily life, our software has an "ignore" function that will hide posts by any member one finds annoying. It's easy. Here's how, for those who may not know:

1. Click on "User CP" on the horizontal bar above.
2. Then on the left, choose "Edit Ignore List".
3. Put the annoying member's name in the box labeled "Add a Member to your List".
4. Click "Okay"

Many of our members use this function quite a bit, actually! Some of our members are ignored by so many, that it is amazing. Hope this helps to make everyone's happy day even happier.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been happy pretty much every day since retiring.
It's a goal worth attaining.
Now the normal happy stuff is just icing on the cake - sunshine, garden seeds starting to grow, the anticipation of a great garden this year and so much more.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So glad you are relaxing, enjoying your time off, and feeling happy! Life is good and meant to be enjoyed.

And here is some information that may be helpful to all. In order to decrease aggravation and increase our enjoyment of daily life, our software has an "ignore" function that will hide posts by any member one finds annoying. It's easy. Here's how, for those who may not know:

1. Click on "User CP" on the horizontal bar above.
2. Then on the left, choose "Edit Ignore List".
3. Put the annoying member's name in "Add a Member to your List".

Many of our members use this function quite a bit, actually! Some of our members are ignored by so many, that it is amazing. Hope this helps to make everyone's happy day even happier.
HelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHello...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
HelloHelloHelloHelloHelloHello...
Who? What? Was somebody there?

(just teasing!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which part of the word "fertilizer" (aka horseh#t) don't you understand? :-)

Moving on...
Yes, and initially I used the 'fertilizer' euphemism to convey 'worthless', but as I reflected in a later post, I do see things like this as worse than worthless. Like in the 'green movement', many seem to let symbolism substitute for substance. And then they congratulate themselves for 'doing something', but they did nothing, and there was an opportunity cost.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Why not take it up with him/her in the first place? Again, I think most were questioning the UN as the source more than anything else.
Would be a waste of time IMO and not the main topic of this thread. I much prefer to think positive and remain positive. ...
To my mind, exposing what we may see as false positives is being positive. Keeping with the 'green movement' example, I'm not going to rah-rah for something that I know won't help anyone. That gives false hopes, and distracts from doing real good.

At any rate, the 'fertilizer' comment was clearly directed at the content, it wasn't anything personal. I'm not sure why you decided to turn to personal comments in some your posts, that hardly aligns with someone who says they prefer to be 'positive'.

Oh well, I'm still happy, expect to happy all evening, and the rest of the weekend. We'll see how it goes from there, but I kind of see a happy trend.

-ERD50
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #48

Thank you. I have been thinking of using the "ignore" function for a specific poster but I also believe in the freedom of speech. When it gets too hard I just keep silent and enjoy a second beer :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you. I have been thinking of using the "ignore" function for a specific poster but I also believe in the freedom of speech. When it gets too hard I just keep silent and enjoy a second beer :-)
You're welcome, and I hope it is helpful to know that option is available. I like your method of dealing with these issues, too, and often use that method myself (with water instead of beer, in my case).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #50

I was feeling quite happy this evening.

... and then I read this thread
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #51

Quote:
+1
Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
There's so much to be happy about.
At a fundamental level, it's wonderful to be breathing.
Being retired, I'm happy, every day because I don't have to participate in the rat race.
I'm happy when I can prepare my eggs without getting egg shells in them.
I could list things all day, and I have the time to do it.

Happiness is a condition to be fostered and promoted.
An amazing quality of happiness, I've found, is that if I can make someone else happy, it makes me feel happy too.
And you do.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been holding my 5-day old granddaughter for the last hour. My DW got to be in the delivery room with DD, and I got to meet our first grandchild moments later, and all are healthy. We are blessed and very, very happy.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
I've been holding my 5-day old granddaughter for the last hour. My DW got to be in the delivery room with DD, and I got to meet our first grandchild moments later, and all are healthy. We are blessed and very, very happy.
Congratulations! Spoiling grandchildren is so much fun, and is also a way to get back at the kids.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #55

That's the type of news I love to read. Congratulations to everyone !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #56

Another happy day for me... My girlfriend is coming to live with me in the next few weeks. Yes !
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That'll cure your spending "problem"...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #58

She is a nurse, she is very independent, smart, and strong minded. She already told me she will keep working. I guess she will manage her own budget. I already told her she has free rent here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That'll cure your spending "problem"...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another happy day for me... My girlfriend is coming to live with me in the next few weeks. Yes !
Felicitations! I hope you will both be very happy together. This opens up many possibilities, including wedding bells and little obgyns..........
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Congratulations!