Death With Dignity Laws vs Life Insurance

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With the thread on "Death With Dignity Laws" got me thinking, if you have it in your state, life insurance would have to be looked at differently.

I know the thoughts of life insurance isn't very popular here but still would change a lot of things if you had it.

IIRC most life insurance policies are fine with suicide as long as the policy has been in effect for two or more years. No double indemnity. YMMV so check your policy.

IIRC most life insurance policies are fine with suicide as long as the policy has been in effect for two or more years.
That's my understanding too with insurance companies I've dealt with. But best to check as some may be different.

That's my understanding too with insurance companies I've dealt with. But best to check as some may be different.
+1

However don't lie about smoking.

That and I seem to recall that the death with dignity statute in our state specifically says that a life insurance claim as a result of a death under the statute can't be denied. I think it might be in the FAQ link that I posted in the other thread but I'm on my phone so I can't easily fetch it.

The only "problem" with death with dignity is that you must have a terminal illness with life expectancy of about 6 months, your provider must agree that you have that life expectancy and you must consult with a psychiatrist to confirm that you can make such a decision not subject to the influence of others. You must then fill the prescription for drugs to end your life and administer them yourself. Any wonder that many who go through those steps pass before taking the meds?

Frankly using hospice is a better choice. Caregivers need to understand that they shouldn't call an ambulance without the advice of hospice.

Those laws do not help patients with Altzheimers, dementia at all.

Frankly using hospice is a better choice. Caregivers need to understand that they shouldn't call an ambulance without the advice of hospice.

A better choice how? If I have terminal cancer that is painful, I could still live a long time, consumed with pain. Hospice cannot do anything other than administer meds. I could try to do it myself with the pain drugs but that is iffy and is the reason why assisted suicide uses pentobarbital, not opiates.

Now what should happen, is hospice should automatically give you a prescription of pentobarbital, which is a sleeping aid. If you decide to use it for another purpose, that is your choice.

I don't disagree. My intention is to warn readers that it is not a panacea and practical for many situations. In Oregon, where I live, most who have jumped through all the death with dignity hoops pass without taking the meds to end their life. The dying can use hospice, they are not incompatible. What the dying need to make clear is that they do not want to be sent to the hospital where their protocols will necessitate preserving life at all costs.

... In Oregon, where I live, most who have jumped through all the death with dignity hoops pass without taking the meds to end their life. The dying can use hospice, they are not incompatible. What the dying need to make clear is that they do not want to be sent to the hospital where their protocols will necessitate preserving life at all costs.

I think it means that for most dying people, just to let nature run its course such as being done in hospices is enough. Just do not try to intervene with fruitless medicine and treatments.

Back
Top Bottom