Dex saying Thanks & Goodbye

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It is time to say goodbye and thank you.

IMHO, something has changed on this board. The negative aspects are outweighing the positive ones. I believe it is imperative to maintain a positive attitude before and during your retirement.

If in any recent post of mine appeared negative; I apologize,

I greatly appreciate those who offered their considered advise when I was wrestling with my decision retire early. It was great to know that others have had the same questions and fears. And yes, it was even interesting to read what the legendary John Gault had to say.

To those of you that are in that pre early retirement mindset; find your motivation. Most of the clichés you have heard are true – “Life is too short.”, “No one regretted working more on their death bed.” When you turn the phrase “I will believe it when I see it” on its head to “I will see it when I believe it” you will be on your way to finding your path to early retirement. Once you have been retired for awhile the fears you have now will seem a distant memory.

PS - can someone tell me how to delete my profile?

Come on Dex?

With 2100 + posts you aren't going to pull a cut_throat are you?

Tell us what is really bothering you?

We are here to help!

Don't do anything stupid..................:confused:

It is time to say goodbye and thank you.

IMHO, something has changed on this board. The negative aspects are outweighing the positive ones. I believe it is imperative to maintain a positive attitude before and during your retirement.

If in any recent post of mine appeared negative; I apologize,

I greatly appreciate those who offered their considered advise when I was wrestling with my decision retire early. It was great to know that others have had the same questions and fears. And yes, it was even interesting to read what the legendary John Gault had to say.

To those of you that are in that pre early retirement mindset; find your motivation. Most of the clichés you have heard are true – “Life is too short.”, “No one regretted working more on their death bed.” When you turn the phrase “I will believe it when I see it” on its head to “I will see it when I believe it” you will be on your way to finding your path to early retirement. Once you have been retired for awhile the fears you have now will seem a distant memory.

Sorry to hear that.

I am not sure things have changed other than an increase in political debate. It can turn bad pretty quickly.

Consider taking a time out and come back later.

Hmmmm.........I don't see anything different about the board, but I don't visit the Soap Box forum if that is the problem. Anyway, enjoyed your contribution to the board and wish you the best.

Edit: I couldn't resist. I took a quick look at a couple of threads within the Soap Box and that must be it. Politics & religion, 2 topics to get the old blood pressure up.

Last edited:
That's a loss to this forum, I have really enjoyed many of Dex posts, I hope you change your mind or come back...

Sorry to hear this - but we'll keep the porch light on just in case you change your mind...

Dex - no need to leave the forum just stay away from the Soap Box. IMHO, setting up a separate forum for rants was a great solution to acrimony - it is all in one spot now. If you want peace and quiet you can avoid the rancor.

Sorry to see you go.... you had some good posts...

I don't agree that things have changed... I think they are about the same.. within the normal back and forth on a forum...

And to me... even some of the 'bad' posts are OK to me... some actually have a good point... and I can always ignore what I don't like reading...

As an example... there is one liberal on here that can be very cutting with people he does not believe... but he has some very good posts in others... so I don't put people on my ignore list because I can just move on if their post seems bad...

So take a break and see if you want to come back... don't delete your profile just yet... you might miss us :D

Sorry to hear this - but we'll keep the porch light on just in case you change your mind...
I appreciate Dex's farewell. It's one way to resolve that grumpy feeling.

I'm glad he didn't default to the alternatives. I don't know which is worse-- the posters who pitch a fit and vanish without further explanation, or the ones who need a revolving door to make their exits.

Oh Poo.

Now I'll never get to know the unwritten rules for internet posting.

Peace be with you Dex.

The "ignore poster" and "ignore thread" features have kept me here, otherwise I would have been long gone as well.

The only reason to leave now is if I put everyone on ignore.

The ignore features are your friends.

Dex,

I wish you wouldn't go. I have gained much from your insights and you have helped me along this rocky road of early retirement. It hasn't been a bed of roses for me - so many doubts and that feeling of not being connected or important anymore. After working for 35 years, it's not easy to let go. Particulary for someone like me with a strong German work ethic. You made it a little easier to figure out. I too have noticed a negative influence of late but, hey, we are people with all the usual human failings. Given time, the tides will change and postive influences will return. At least if people like you stick around.

Good luck Dex...I really dont think it is the politics...that's always there.....I have been a member of another site that had similar growing pains...once it went more commercial, the operator seemed to look to grow the site, but it seemed to bring in more idiots and the better posters seemed to post less or leave...

I appreciate Dex's farewell. It's one way to resolve that grumpy feeling.

I'm glad he didn't default to the alternatives. I don't know which is worse-- the posters who pitch a fit and vanish without further explanation, or the ones who need a revolving door to make their exits.

Dex - I recommend using the revolving door.

No hablo español..... :-\

Loosely, "may you go with God."

Dex, I am sorry to see you go, but I certainly understand. If we ever cross paths or you need anything I can offer, say the word.

I have enjoyed many of your posts and hate to see you go also. I would like to see you take a break and come back at a later time, if possible. If not, then I sincerely hope that you enjoy your retirement and your life. Peace be with you.

Back
Top Bottom