Did i mention I hate the cold..

I just told my wife a few minutes ago (while wearing my hoodie indoors) that we are going to replace windows, and furnace this year...I can't take another year of cold rooms, and shivering in my own house.

I can't convince anyone (anyone!) to move.

Moving by myself without the wife and 3 kids would have dire consequences.:blush:

They ask me if I'm ok when I say I want to get out of this winter hole. I think it is the opposite.:popcorn:

Stasis is hard to move.

I love the people of North Dakota. They are the epitome of "Midwest nice." I remember approaching a highway construction zone with a lane closure in the Fargo area ... everyone moved in an orderly fashion to the open lane, and we got through with little delay.

Compare that with South Florida, overpopulated and underbuilt. A semi passed me once in the breakdown lane while I was driving on I-95 near Miami. Thanks but no thanks.

I can't take the (summer) heat - this past summer instead of the occasional day in the 90s and humid, we had weeks at a time. I've never had to consider air conditioning before, but it may be in my future. I ended up sleeping on the back porch a lot to keep cool.

For winters, I'm much happier... keep the furnace set to 60 degrees (so it kicks on at night) and use the wood stove during the day. We've not had the horrendously low temperatures here in NH as the mid west, etc., but I'll be glad to see temperatures in the teens tomorrow! I've always loved wearing a flannel!

When I bought my house, there was no garage - which I thought was insane. I scraped up the dough and it was the first thing I added - what a difference. The second was a covered walkway to the house to escape mud season (too much ledge to attach to the house). My big extravagance for this year was paving the driveway - what a difference THAT makes!

If you can believe it, we may hit 50 degrees for a day next week before it drops back down. I do love the snow!

The last time I was in my hometown, Western part of da UP during winter (December for Christmas a number of years ago) my car battery froze solid and cracked. A couple of old high school friends helped me out and got me mobile again, but geez, ya know how cold it needs to be to freeze a concentrated solution of Sulfuric Acid, Dang cold, Dang cold!

but geez, ya know how cold it needs to be to freeze a concentrated solution of Sulfuric Acid, Dang cold, Dang cold!

I have a friend who keeps posting about the wonderful, snowy conditions in the UP for when he goes snowmobiling. He drives 8 hours North several times a Winter to get this !

Being overweight, he sweats like a Ho in church during 90 degree weather.

Walking in the 20's in a sweatshirt/windbreaker/hat over ears is fine - unless very windy. 90+ & humid - not so much.

A question about cars -
Now that I'm FIREed, I have the luxury of staying home during this two day cold snap. Should I start my car daily? I am not planning to use it until this cold is over. It is not garaged. I am not in the extrem-est cold that people are experiencing. It has gotten up to 15 today and will be in the 20s tomorrow, and then above freezing on Saturday. My sense is that I don't need to - the car is fairly recent, 2017. But I wanted to ask, as there are people here who do know!

The temps you describe are nowhere near cold enough to affect a car starting. Also, a lot of block heaters on newer cars are temperature sensitive and won't even activate until around -15C or about 5F.

It was nice here yesterday, -35° last Wednesday and 36° yesterday and today, almost t-shirt weather

I can handle the cold much better than heat.

I love warm weather and I am thrilled that our forecast for today is 70F. Breaking out the shorts and sandals! It won't last but I sure welcome a warm day now and then.

I just told my wife a few minutes ago (while wearing my hoodie indoors) that we are going to replace windows, and furnace this year...I can't take another year of cold rooms, and shivering in my own house.

Ha! That was me a couple years ago. I knew the windows were probably OK since home was built in '94. I was literally in a hoodie shivering when Mrs Scrapr opens the gas bill and shouts out wtf! Right then we decided to call a remodeler we work with.

They came out & did an energy audit to find the heat loss areas. Blower door test & duct blast. Plus a infra red camera. Mrs Scrapr was sure we were getting cold in the window surrounds by the kitchen sink. The tech aims the camera at the windows...not much. Then he points it at the can lights above the sink....Bingo. The duct blast showed we were about 50% heat loss. They did some air sealing in the bonus room which was always hot or cold.

Much much more comfortable after the work was done. The State had some incentives that helped a bit. It was a 4 or 5 year payback. I highly encourage this. I was shocked at how much better we lived

We had a polebarn house (in my Avatar) built in 2016 with infloor heat in the house and a zone in the garage, even last week with -35° temps the garage was 60° and the house was a nice warm 72°

When we were having it built people would stop by and look and tell us we would need backup heat because the infloor heat would not keep up with Minnesota Winters.

Back
Top Bottom